Your place or theirs?

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:01 pm
Luxury! We never HAD a remote!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:22 pm
Think then of the control issues you didn't have to deal with, grrrrrrrrrrrr.....
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:55 pm
I just had a thought. For a woman's safety, I would think she would rather be at her house with a complete stranger than his, because if he did turn out to be a serial-killer, at least she would know where the knives were to defend herself with...
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:23 pm
Grand Duke, the woman who opts to go to "his" places should have the forethought to bring along her own protection, i.e. mace, pepper, something to curl his eyelashes!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:32 pm
Those materials are illegal here, and I can't imagine even thinking in such a way.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:37 pm
It's a sad state of affairs ehBeth, but there are a lot of nutters out there, and I don't think that anyone, man or woman, can be too careful about their personal safety.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:39 pm
Why would you go to a person's house (or have them to yours) before you felt safe with them?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:39 pm
Misti - I'd be afraid if a woman came at me with some of those leg-waxing strips. It brings a tear to my eye watching it being done!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:50 pm
Kidding aside, people can turn out to be different than you think, at either person's house. Protection is smart to think about.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:04 pm
No matter how much you trust someone, they can have a dark side, it's always best to assume the worst until proven otherwise.

It's always best to be prepared, so you can live to tell the tale.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:05 pm
ok, so, you marry a guy and you still keep the mace? Don't get me wrong, I have pepper spray that I take with me, I do think about it. But, I also am pretty good about keeping myself out of bad situations (knocking on wood).
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:10 pm
No, of course you don't keep the spray if you marry the guy, but you still carry it when you're out alone, don't you?

And, no matter how good you are at keeping yourself out of bad situations, don't think it can't happen to you.

I say always be vigilant, especially when you're at an ATM, because they can come out of the woodwork!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:11 pm
My point was that if someone has a dark side it could come out in 10 years, not just anytime before you marry him.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:12 pm
Littlek - sounds like you've got the balance right - vigilant & prepared, but relaxed with it.

As a guy I'm many times less likely to be sexually assualted than a woman, but I'm still vigilant. As a guy, I'm also much more likely to be attacked randomly in the street and have several shades of **** kicked out of me by drunken hooligans than a woman is.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:17 pm
I would reckon that if a guy was a nutter, you'd statistically find out sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, I also remember reading that a majority of rapes (and murders) are carried out by someone the victim knows, rather than a stranger. (Not sure if that's still the case btw but it was a few years ago in the UK at least.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:24 pm
The rapist isn't a masked manÂ…
Approximately 66% of rape victims know their assailant. [2000 NCVS.]
Approximately 48% of victims are raped by a friend or acquaintance; 30% by a stranger; 16% by an intimate; 2% by another relative; and in 4% of cases the relationship is unknown. [2000 NCVS.]
http://www.rainn.org/statistics.html#masked
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:33 pm
The fact that rape happens at all is appalling, but to me it somehow seems worse (if that's possible) if the guy knows the woman, and triply so if it is a family member. I think convicted rapists should be treated as murderers and get at least 20 years, no parole. I've heard of cases here where they've served 2 years from 5. Sometimes I'm genuinely ashamed of my gender.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:36 pm
I think the rape sentences are ridiculously short. Don't be ashamed of your gender, what good does that do?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:42 pm
No good at all - thanks for cheering me up!

I do however reserve the male right to leave the toilet seat up...!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:43 pm
not in my house. the cat will drink from the bowl.....
0 Replies