US 160 / UK 0 The score for murdered police officers last year.

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:51 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Dishonesty is in the eye of the beholder. "Some" of the things you post are fact but most is just your hatred of the U.S.. How about a little bit of that honesty from you. My issue is wether one can trust your judgement and I for one dont.

I've said before, I don't hate the US. What I don't like is how people like you have allowed these heinous war crimes to occur on your watch, on your dime, on your reputation as a good country.

This is simply too easy for you, Rabel, not to mention exceedingly dishonest, to run to the 'shoot the messenger' meme.

If you have, in the past, disagreed with what I've written, you should have shown some small measure of honesty and addressed it at that time.

You keep suggesting that it's me who is providing all these facts. They are coming from highly well informed individuals, most of them American citizens, some former high government officials, much of the material from official US government documents.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:26 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
It amazes Europeans that some Americans will argue that easy access to guns is unrelated to their high gun homicide rate. Your Dodge City scenario reminds me of the smoker's argument that Grandpa smoked like a chimney and lived till he was 99.
In a fully armed populace, robbery is near suicidal.
Note that Vermont became a State in 1791.
It has never had any gun laws.
Every year, Vermont is at or near the lowest crime rate of all the States,
according to annual FBI statistics. It is safe because
it is too dangerous for a criminal to attack an armed victim.
Gun control protects the criminals from this danger.

I 've been informed by a retired NYPD officer
that most criminals are cowards.

Fresco, if u were a violent criminal
woud u rather rob a well armed man
or a victim whom u knew to be HELPLESSLY, most docile,
in obedience to all anti-gun laws ?????????

David
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:35 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
I think the main thing that Americans are anesthesized to, Fresco, is how the specific consciousness that being told they have the RIGHT to own a gun, because in other words they might NEED to own a gun, engenders or manifests itself in American society....

You know, that's such a sad way to look at your fellow citizen and it impacts the society all the way around....

Yeah - the genie is out of the bottle in the US - and we've all walked around our whole lives being told we HAVE to be able to protect ourselves from each other as a constitutional right.
Psychologically and philosophically, it's a very, very different attitude of community and relationships with one's fellow citizens and that manifests itself in very different behavior....

So guns erode Americans' trust in one another?

Great post, aidan!

I had never really thought much till now about the collective psychological impact of gun freedom.

Till now, I have tended to side with gun-rights supporters, mainly because of the deterrence argument--that criminals are less likely to attack people who might (for all the criminals know) be carrying concealed weapons.

But I think people too often try to reduce the gun-rights debate into a simple mathematical problem: which approach leads to the fewest muggings, cop-killings, and so on.

When the debate centres on numbers, the unquantified psychological consequences of our leaving the house every day armed to kill are forgotten.
Oylok

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Yes, America was founded upon Individualism, libertarianism,
hedonism n laissez faire free enterprize,
rather than on collectivism.

The right to defensively bear arms gives rise to
radical self reliance, as distinct from reliance on the collective.

Well you clearly understand the sociological impact of gun freedom as well as aidan does, in any case, although you still come down on the side of distrust for one's fellow human beings for some reason. Laughing
Oylok

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:46 pm
@aidan,
US 160 / UK 0 The score...

aidan wrote:

Yes! When will enough be enough?

If the score is US 500 / UK 0 by stumps tomorrow that will be enough.

Then we declare, and then fresco's side gets to bat.

You never declare on 160. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:01 pm
@Oylok,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Yes, America was founded upon Individualism, libertarianism,
hedonism n laissez faire free enterprize,
rather than on collectivism.

The right to defensively bear arms gives rise to
radical self reliance, as distinct from reliance on the collective.
Oylok wrote:
Well you clearly understand the sociological impact of gun freedom as well as aidan does,
in any case, although you still come down on the side of distrust for one's fellow human beings
for some reason. Laughing
Yes; the reason is that thru out history thay have proven to be UNtrustworthy.

Admittedly, on some occasions,
thay have not betrayed their trust.

I paid a very slight and mild price
to learn that lesson, but I remember its value.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:03 pm
@Oylok,
Oylok wrote:

So guns erode Americans' trust in one another?

Great post, aidan!

I had never really thought much till now about the collective psychological impact of gun freedom.

Till now, I have tended to side with gun-rights supporters, mainly because of the deterrence argument--that criminals are less likely to attack people who might (for all the criminals know) be carrying concealed weapons.

But I think people too often try to reduce the gun-rights debate into a simple mathematical problem: which approach leads to the fewest muggings, cop-killings, and so on.

When the debate centres on numbers, the unquantified psychological consequences of our leaving the house every day armed to kill are forgotten.

I'm not sure I'm following your reasoning here, Oylok. You seem to conclude that guns cause distrust. Seems just as likely to conclude that distrust causes guns. Certainly, carrying a gun, especially in a manner both accessible and conceled is more inconvenient and expensive than not.

It's not entirely a matter of distrusting our fellow citizens. There is also the point that we don't entirely trust our law enforcement people to be either where they're needed, when they are needed. We clearly don't expect them to be effective deterrants.

Good to see you participating, where ever you come down in a discussion.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:09 pm
aidan wrote:
I think the main thing that Americans are anesthesized to, Fresco, is how the specific consciousness that being told they have the RIGHT to own a gun, because in other words they might NEED to own a gun, engenders or manifests itself in American society.
THAT is not the cause.
Its a Bill of RIGHTS. Its not a bill of NEEDS.
The Founders gave government permission to exist
upon the basis of the social and political contract
which explicitly put certain things beyond the reach of government.
Among these were the right to bear arms.
There were NO police.
Everyone was expected to take care of himself,
using his own equipment.

One of the reasons that government coud not possibly
have had any jurisdiction of the citizen's right
to bear arms was that THOSE weapons might well
be used in overthrowing that very government,
as the Founders had just finished DOING.
This argument was repeatedly asserted
during debate qua ratification of the Constitution
before the 2nd Amendment even existed,
but the right to bear arms certainly DID.
(See The Federalist Papers; US v. CRUIKSHANK 92 US 542 [1875] )

The Founders were hiring a government,
but thay did not trust it.
Thay did not choose to allow that government
to divest them of the means to FIRE the new employee, if advisable.
The Founders were very conscious of this possibility
and SAID so.
Some of the States explicitly put this escape clause
into their Instruments of Ratification,
along with an expression of their right to keep and bear arms;
(see New York Instrument of Ratification, National Archives)

aidan wrote:
David is a perfect example.
He apparently walks around in a state of high alert
ready to protect himself from his fellow citizens.
That is contrary to known fact.
When first we dined together at One If By Land, Two If By Sea,
u remarked on my (unexpectedly) being a low key fellow in my personal demeanor.
How ofen did I look over my shoulder?

On the night that I was shot at,
I was on the alert to find a gas station on my right
along the side of the road. I felt 100% safe at the time and thereafter.
For sure, I was not thinking of any criminals
before the gunshot.

aidan wrote:
Why? Where does this belief that each of your fellow citizens may constitute such a threat
to you to the point that you NEED to have a gun on you at all times come from?
It comes from newspapers n TV news; knowledge of history.
U take out insurance against a perceived risk (e.g., fire or ill health) BEFORE
occurrence of the covered risk. Defensive guns are health insurance and property insurance.
It is indecent and irresponsible to walk thru the world in a state of HELPLESSNESS.
Vulnerable victims are an incitement & inducement to more crime.
If u were a robber, woud u rather rob a well armed man
or a helpless victim ?

aidan wrote:
I think part of it comes from the fact that our constitution seems to bolster this belief by assuring each citizen that they have the right to be armed.
It assured the citizen
that government has no authority over this,
the same that it has no authority to make u
go to Church on time.
Government was accepted, subject to that condition.
Without the Bill of Rights, the Constitution
woud have been rejected and failed of ratification.

aidan wrote:
I know originally it was useful or necessary as a means to protect and battle invasion from outsiders - but now it's morphed into this belief that we need to always be on guard and ready to protect ourselves from each other.
That did NOT morf.
Thay had criminals the same as we do.
(Benedict Arnold's treachery was discovered
when Major Andre was being robbed.)
Colonial America had its own gun control laws:
"every...inhabitant of this colony provide for himself
and each under him able to bear arms,
a sufficient musket...with [ammunition]
and for each default ... forfeit ten shillings." (New Plymouth 1632)
For the sake of safety, in the spirit of today's
mandatory seatbelt legislation, colonial gun
control laws prohibited going to work,
or to Church, in an unarmed condition. (Virginia 1631)
Clergymen checked to make sure that their congregants were well armed.

David
Oylok

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:27 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following your reasoning here, Oylok. You seem to conclude that guns cause distrust. A --> B

Well, it's possible they could, isn't it? I admit I don't have conclusive proof that guns breed distrust. It just seems to make intuitive sense that they would.

Quote:
Seems just as likely to conclude that distrust causes guns. B --> A

Sure does, but...

...why do I have to choose between "A causes B" and "B causes A"? Couldn't both be the case here? The proliferation of guns could cause distrust, and that distrust could cause an acceleration in the proliferation of guns. My guess would be that each thing (guns and distrust) causes the other in a positive feedback loop.

Oylok
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:30 pm
@Oylok,
Quote:
You seem to conclude that guns cause distrust.

This element of distrust, bordering on paranoia, is pervasive in the US.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David - if a condition is considered to be a 'right' that all human beings in a state or society should be able to enjoy it at least implies necessity - even if it's only to ensure a state of happiness and well-being.

I spoke to the point that in the beginning, when the founders were framing the constitution, environmental hazards and situational factors made being armed very nearly a necessity. But that's no longer the case.

In terms of you being in a state of constant alert - I'm going more on what you yourself have explained rather than my own observations. I didn't notice that you seemed nervous at all, but I do remember asking if you were 'packing' (joking) and I also remember that you didn't give me a direct answer. I took that to mean that you very well may have been - whereas I'd travelled into Port Authority and walked through the streets of NYC all the way to the village without a gun, without feeling the need to have a gun, and without having been accosted and having the opportunity to regret not having a gun at any point during that walk, exactly the same as on any of the other millions of walks I've taken all over the USA, during which I've never regretted not carrying or having access to a gun.

I think Oylok explained it very well in his response to Roger.
It's a self-perpetuating cycle of self-protectiveness and distrust.
McTag

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:47 pm
@H2O MAN,

Quote:
The UK must be some kind of UTOPIA where everything is Sunshine and Lollipops.

No, lollipops are bad for the teeth, so we don't allow them either.
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:57 pm
@wayne,
The USA allowed the UN to demand all colonies be given independence. The Suez Crisis is one example of the USA's strong attempts to end colonialism. Most African (a continent) countries are worse off now.

Go to third world countries and live for a while. A white man is a God send if he marries a black woman. No way could he beat a black woman as much as a black man. And even if he does, he wont walk off and leave them like too many black men do in the USA and elsewhere.

Quote:
Empires and Colonialism broke it's own back,
I think that glib statement cries out for an explanation.

Quote:
Americans though pride themselves on the individuality of which the right to bear arms is part.
Are you referring to over compensating wherein they need a phallic symbol ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:58 pm
@Oylok,
I wish to offer 2 propositions:

1) guns are inanimate objects that cannot cause emotions (e.g.: distrust).

2) Distrust is admirable; there is not enuf of it.
I'm leaving for Florida in 2 weeks.
I 'll see a lady who got married a few years ago.
She told me that her new husband plundered her bank
account of millions of $$. She said: "he married me for my money."
Her Achilles' heel was trusting the embezzler.
I wish that I had warned her against it; too late.

David
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:10 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

David - if a condition is considered to be a 'right' that all human beings in a state or society should be able to enjoy it at least implies necessity - even if it's only to ensure a state of happiness and well-being.

How have you arrived at the conclusion that a right implies necessity?

We all have the right to vote, but it is not necessary that we all vote. We all have the right to worship at the church, synagogue, mosque, temple or scared grove of our choice but it is not necessary that any of us worship.

aidan wrote:
I spoke to the point that in the beginning, when the founders were framing the constitution, environmental hazards and situational factors made being armed very nearly a necessity. But that's no longer the case.

I missed that point. Do you think the Founders all walked around packing heat?

aidan wrote:
...whereas I'd travelled into Port Authority and walked through the streets of NYC all the way to the village without a gun, without feeling the need to have a gun, and without having been accosted and having the opportunity to regret not having a gun at any point during that walk, exactly the same as on any of the other millions of walks I've taken all over the USA, during which I've never regretted not carrying or having access to a gun.

Having had a gun might have made several episodes in my life less painful, but I certainly can't say there was ever a time when I regretted not having one. Having said this, it usually only takes one time...

aidan wrote:

That's a theory on Oylok's part, and with all due respect to Oylok, a thin one.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

How is that consistent with the adage that a well-armed populace is the best defence against tyranny? I mean, if the proliferation of guns can't trigger emotions (no pun intended) what is there in a well-armed populace that deters tyrants from acting tyrannically?

Quote:

You can have it.

I've been paranoid my whole life, and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. I'm glad for you that you've found some way to function without trusting anyone. I'm not exactly sure how one does that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:35 pm
@Oylok,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Oylok wrote:
How is that consistent with the adage that a well-armed populace is the best defence against tyranny? I mean, if the proliferation of guns can't trigger emotions (no pun intended) what is there in a well-armed populace that deters tyrants from acting tyrannically?
By the removal itself,
such as the Revolutionary War 1776 - 1783,
but to that we shoud add that statesmen
in a well armed society shoud be ruled by wisdom,
not by their emotions, accordingly not interfering
with the freedom of the citizen.

Quote:

Quote:
You can have it.
I 've made a good faith endeavor to avoid trusting
insofar as practicable for well over 50 years.

Quote:
I've been paranoid my whole life, and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. I'm glad for you that you've found some way to function without trusting anyone. I'm not exactly sure how one does that.
Distrust is not paranoia.
Trusting is a bad business, like smoking,
and shoud be kept to a minimum.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:06 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
I disagree, adopting Find Abuzz's reasoning, already posted.
I have a right to wear a green hat.
There is no necessity that I wear a green hat.
I have a right to vote in school board elections.
I have no need to do so.

aidan wrote:
I spoke to the point that in the beginning, when the founders were framing the constitution, environmental hazards [Indians and criminals] and situational factors made being armed very nearly a necessity.
But that's no longer the case.
People, like Kitty Genovese, have lost their lives
for being so injudicious as to go around unarmed,
screaming for help from other people.

aidan wrote:
In terms of you being in a state of constant alert - I'm going more
on what you yourself have explained rather than my own observations.
I am not in a constant state of alert. I never was.
I did not post that I was.

aidan wrote:
I didn't notice that you seemed nervous at all,
but I do remember asking if you were 'packing'
(joking) and I also remember that you didn't give me a direct answer.
Well, I travel a lot,
maybe I thawt u wondered whether I was going somewhere.

aidan wrote:
I took that to mean that you very well may have been - whereas I'd travelled into Port Authority and walked through the streets of NYC all the way to the village without a gun, without feeling the need to have a gun, and without having been accosted and having the opportunity to regret not having a gun at any point during that walk, exactly the same as on any of the other millions of walks I've taken all over the USA, during which I've never regretted not carrying or having access to a gun.
U can go for years n decades without need therefor,
but its better to HAVE a gun and NOT need it,
than it is to NEED a gun and not HAVE it.

aidan wrote:
The trouble with America is that there in not enuf DISTRUST in it.

David
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:26 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I think that glib statement cries out for an explanation.

Colonialism didn't work in the long run. If you want to blame the US for that at least get the place time right, America 1776. Colonialism did nothing to prepare African nations for self government.

The rest of your post seems to be mere profiling, the view through a tiny peephole. Your prejudice are showing.
BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:05 am
As far as guns and crime there is one kind of retail shop that have merchandise of such a value that you could walk out with thousands of dollars worth of goods in just your hands let alone if you have a bag with you to carry more.

Yet off hand I had never hear of this kind of a shop being rob during business hours instead of being broken into a night.

Yes, I am referring to a gun shop where the employees have guns on their hips and a large percent of the customers are also arm.
0 Replies