US 160 / UK 0 The score for murdered police officers last year.

Ionus

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:51 am
@fresco,
Quote:
A bit difficult to go lower than zero for police !
Some Police Officers might get pregnant as a result of violent crime.....
fresco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:46 am
@Ionus,
Nice one !
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 07:06 am
@wayne,
My figures came from a BBC news item which also intimated an official enquiry regarding the rise. I have found your "162 line of duty" website and would therefore certainly yield on precise details. But as you say, even 59 shootings (to 0) is bad enough.

Just to put this in context from a UK point of view. The last police officer to be killed by gunfire was in Northern Ireland in March 2009 by sectarian terrorists. I, like the majority of the population, know nobody who owns a gun.
The only time we see guns is at airports where specially trained armed police show a high profile to deter terrorists.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 07:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
My Constitutional Rights remain ETERNAL

Considering the fact that the Constitution has only been around for about 220 years, I think that hardly qualifies as eternal.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 07:37 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
I've been looking, and as best I can find, the total in the line of duty deaths for U.S. police officers 2010 is 162. Including 43 auto accidents, 13 heart attacks, and 59 by gunfire.
Your thread title is shamelessly bull crappy.

While 59 shooting deaths is not good, it's a far cry from what you are trying to peddle here.

The Officer down memorial page contains all the specifics including the names of officers fallen in the line of duty.
In fairness to Fresco,
I think he means that the 13 heart attacks
surely resulted from emotional distress
qua American philosophy as to freedom to keep and bear arms.

(The automotive collisions too; the police were OBVIOUSLY
so distraught by this freedom that thay were distracted
from the ambient traffic conditions; its the NRA's fault.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:13 am
@DrewDad,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
My Constitutional Rights remain ETERNAL
DrewDad wrote:
Considering the fact that the Constitution has only been around for about 220 years,
I think that hardly qualifies as eternal.
In US v. CRUIKSHANK 92 US 542 (1875)
the USSC held that the rights of the 1st and 2nd Amendments long antedated the Constitution,
such that when created, the US government found them in being. Accordingly, these rights are older
than the Constitution, which neither created nor granted them to the citizenry
any more than the Constitution created the moon nor granted the stars.

David
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 01:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
In US v. CRUIKSHANK 92 US 542 (1875)
the USSC held that the rights of the 1st and 2nd Amendments long antedated the Constitution,
such that when created, the US government found them in being. Accordingly, these rights are older
than the Constitution, which neither created nor granted them to the citizenry
any more than the Constitution created the moon nor granted the stars.

Hmmm, 1875. Would these be the same assholes who decided Dred Scott? Might these be the same champions of human liberty who were working their way up to 'separate but equal" in Plessy v Ferguson [1896??]

Has there ever been a country as hypocritical as the USA?
RABEL222

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 02:17 pm
@JTT,
The only one I know of that is as hypocritical as U.S. politicians is you.
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 02:35 pm
@RABEL222,
Rabel, you're just slinging mud. You're not addressing the issue.

Watch TV on the Egypt situation, take your pick of channels. All you hear is how the US has been trying, for 30 years, to get a government that's responsive to the needs of Egyptians. Yeah right!

Look at the stuff that's written here, by Americans. Do you see anything that approaches honesty? There's no one calling out the hypocrisy and lies of the TV talking heads, the Hillary Clintons trying desperately to jump hook hers and the US's wagon, all of a sudden, to those democratic seeking Egyptians.

Your reply here is just another example of the hypocrisy.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:03 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Is your conclusion that the appalling figures for US police murder by hand-guns is nothing to do with US gun laws ?

I don't know that it does, and neither do you.

I can see how someone draws the conclusion you've drawn but that doesn't mean its accurate.

In any case, it's not material to the topic of gun control, unless you can use it to convince a very large segment of the population to push for an Constitutional amendment. I very much doubt you can.

Save the scolding for children who pull the wings off flies, as it isn't going to pursuade 2nd Amendment advocates to change their minds.

But then that really isn't your intent is it?

Chumly

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:13 pm
I agree with Fresco in that easily available and concealable handguns such as the 45 is not a plausible recipe for decreasing death by handguns.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:29 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
I agree with Fresco in that easily available and concealable handguns such as the 45
is not a plausible recipe for decreasing death by handguns.
Your statement is rendered on a collectivist basis.
A man chooses his personal security on an INDIVIDUAL basis.
Whoever wishes to lay down his life in helplessness
for the good of society is welcome to DO it.

David
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
My intent is to suggest that Americans may have become anaesthetized to what in other "civilized" nations would be unacceptable. It may well be that revision of gun control laws can have little effect now on a what some might call a social addiction, but it is ridiculous to argue that the easy availability of guns has "no proven" effect on the homicide rate. What has proof got to do with trying to save lives ?
And what are the figures....something over 100 million guns amongst 300 million Americans.....14 million alone sold in 2009. That's about 35% ownership for the US compared with around 2% in the UK.
Ratio of US to UK gun homicides (2001/2) was 20o to 1
RABEL222

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:54 pm
@JTT,
Yes, you are the only honest person on this site. If I were you I would try a little of that self examination you want me to engage in. You hate anything U.S. american and though you deny it, one has only to read your posts to see this fact.
Ionus

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If it isnt gun laws, then why do USA citizens kill so many of themselves ?
Ionus

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:00 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
If I were you I would try a little of that self examination you want me to engage in.
JoinTalibanTerroism sees hypocracy everywhere but behind her eyes.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:01 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
If it isnt gun laws, then why do USA citizens kill so many of themselves ?
More than anything else,
it is from the unConstitutional War on Drugs,
the USURPATION of power qua self-destructive conduct
and the consequences thereof.

David
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:45 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

......would therefore certainly yield on precise details. But as you say, even 59 shootings (to 0) is bad enough.

Just to put this in context from a UK point of view. ..

Context 1: your police are generally unarmed and your criminal classes like the status quo. Neither is the case in the U.S.
Context 2: you have innocently waded into a topic whose importance you fail to appreciate. Please reason by analogy - will Yeats suit?
[quote]...When Oedipus at Colonus went into the Wood of the Furies he felt the same creeping in his flesh that an Irish countryman feels in certain haunted woods in Galway and in Sligo.[/quote]
You have been warned - proceed at your own risk Smile
Ionus

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:50 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
your police are generally unarmed
This is relevant if it is the police who have been a major contributor to the statistics.
Quote:
your criminal classes like the status quo.
Are you sure ?
Quote:
..When Oedipus at Colonus went into the Wood of the Furies he felt the same creeping in his flesh that an Irish countryman feels in certain haunted woods in Galway and in Sligo.

The anology is lost on me unless you are saying that people in the USA fear their neighbourhood but this happens less if at all in Britain.
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:51 pm
@RABEL222,
You're still avoiding the issue, Rabel. That's dishonest.