Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 02:24 pm
Some may find today's column of The Ethicist in the New York Times of interest:

The Ethicist: Doubting Others’ Job Performance
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 03:31 pm
@Bayada,
Bayada wrote:

Yes, staying home in most cases is a full time job. There are many women and men who do all that, that you have described, and have a full time job.

T here was a short phase in my life i was fortunate enough to stay home with my toddler, and do my chores. There is a certain 'niceness' to being home.

Most of my life, i work(ed) full time+ ... and did all the house and yard work.

Freeloader, as in, example only, a woman getting up Monday thru Friday, in the morning, working as a secretary, 9 hours those days... She has a part time job on the weekend, somewhere, let's say, a convenience store.

Her husband/boyfriend is a construction worker... example only. He has no work at the moment, maybe next week. He might do the dishes, eh, he will mow the grass later, he wants to go hang out with his buddy right now.

What is it you want this out of work construction worker to do?

You said he has no work at the moment. Is it because there is work available and he is turning it down? Is it because there are no openings until next week?

After he does the dishes, and mows the lawn, is there other work that needs to get done around the house? Or, is everything in good repair, clean at the moment?

If (example only) Wink I was not working because there is no work available, but will be working next week if/when it is available, and the dishes are done, lawn mowed, house in pretty good shape, I'd go out and spend time with friends, read a book, go for a walk and generally relax.

Also, he might be providing comfort and services that really ARE none of your business.

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 07:23 am
@Bayada,
So, why don't you just tell your husband to get off the couch and find a job?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 07:25 am
@Bayada,
Quote:
OMG, all that blubbering but no answer. Thank you everyone else for some insightful responses.

It's clearly Obama's fault. And the liberals. Welfare nanny state.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 07:39 am

Well, I remember in the 1970s, my dead friend, Neil,
did not have employment. I gave him an apartment,
rent-free for so long as he did not have a job.
I enjoyed his company. (We were both straight.) I did not require any labor of him.
I liked having him around and did not care much about $$; not a big deal.

David
Bayada

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 10:43 am
@HFgulliver,
Thank-you! This makes sense.
0 Replies

Bayada

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 10:52 am
@wayne,
I have thought that myself, and thinking about it now, i'm sure there are women who are okay with that, makes sense.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 11:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, This is the first time I've read something human from you. Goes to show everybody has some positives in their lives - if we wait long enough.
Bayada

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 11:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, i'd like to thank Mr. David and you Mr. imposter for y'alls comments Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 12:40 pm
@Bayada,
Even I have a few good characteristics; it just doesn't show up regularly on a2k. Mr. Green Drunk Embarrassed Twisted Evil
Bayada

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 12:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And that's okay. I'm sure you already know, it's okay (some cases?) to speak your mind, lol.
chai2

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 01:38 pm
@Bayada,
Bayada, I'm still curious about how you would answer my post.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 02:02 pm
@Bayada,
I have the habit to challenge any poster with which I disagree - even those I consider friends. The way I see it, I even argue with my siblings about politics and religion, and that doesn't negate my love for them.

0 Replies

Bayada

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:01 pm
@chai2,
Still learning the quotes, but chai, you ask "What do i want this construction worker to do?"

I don't know because he is fictional, i don't know his 'character' . Is he good with his hands, his brain? Money is tight in his household, is he supposed to just sit there waiting for work, or should he go out and look for ... anything , that will help him and his spouse pay the bills.

And why the 'none of your business' replies... it's just a topic. 'None of your business' can apply to any topic in any forum. It's like saying 'whatever'.

And besides, i think (common) freeloading is a form of abuse. I don't like to see anyone abused, so it might be some of my concern.

I appreciate you asking me chai Smile
chai2

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:50 pm
@Bayada,
Bayada wrote:

Still learning the quotes, but chai, you ask "What do i want this construction worker to do?"

I don't know because he is fictional, i don't know his 'character' . Is he good with his hands, his brain? Money is tight in his household, is he supposed to just sit there waiting for work, or should he go out and look for ... anything , that will help him and his spouse pay the bills.

And why the 'none of your business' replies... it's just a topic. 'None of your business' can apply to any topic in any forum. It's like saying 'whatever'.

And besides, i think (common) freeloading is a form of abuse. I don't like to see anyone abused, so it might be some of my concern.

I appreciate you asking me chai Smile

When I read one of your comments "Her husband/boyfriend is a construction worker... example only. He has no work at the moment, maybe next week." I was prompted to ask you "What do you want him to do?"

From that comment I can't assume he's turning down work, or that he hasn't been looking.
You just say he isn't working at the moment, and maybe will be working next week.

Is this possibility of work next week the best he could come across? Maybe it is. If what he knows how to do is be a construction worker, and there is no construction work available, he obviously can't apply for jobs that don't exist.

If you don't know, as you said, what his other skills are, why would you assume he hasn't been looking for other work? Why would you assume he is indeed just sitting in the house? If no one else is home, how would anyone know if he's there or not?

How indeed do you know he hasn't sought out every possible job he could do, and the best he's come up with is the possibility of work next week?

If that's the case, and you don't know it isn't, there' no sense in him looking for work he knows doesn't exist. There's no sense spinning his wheels and creating anxiety for himself.
If the house is clean, and in good repair, (and apparantly you don't know if it is, or isn't) there isn't anything for him to do there. Why not go out with his friends?

As far as the "none of your business" comment I made, look at the context I wrote it in.

I said something like how do we know he isn't providing his wife with some other kind of comfort.
I don't think I need to spell that out Bayada.

If this is a fictional character, maybe he's a fictional character that is there for his wife when she comes home from work, listens to her stories of what happened during the day, gives her a back, neck or foot rub....maybe all three.

Maybe he says "sit down honey, while I draw you a nice warm bath" and tells her how much he appreciates her hard work while he is unfortunately, temporarily out of work.
Maybe he spends part of his day reading interesting things, and tells her about them when she gets home.
Maybe she looks forward to this more than anything else, and loves sitting in a bubble bath while he tells her stories.

Not everyone who is not working, and not looking for work every instant is a freeloader.

Sometimes one must sow some seeds, than be patient until some of them start to grow. If he's looked everywhere he can for work, why not take a break for a few days, before starting again.

I don't believe this is a fictional character, or else you wouldn't have started this thread.

Bayada

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:45 am
@chai2,

"I said something like how do we know he isn't providing his wife with some other kind of comfort.
I don't think I need to spell that out Bayada."

Comfort? How does comfort pay the bills? He can run all the hot baths he wants, it doesn't pay the bills. He can sit there while she is bathing and read her stories? I'm sure she has heard them all.

"I don't believe this is a fictional character, or else you wouldn't have started this thread."

Your right. They are the ones working, taking care of a freeloader, and confide in others. The neighbor, the co-worker, the person in line behind you at Walmart talking to their friend/family. That is what triggered my thread.
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:11 am
@Bayada,
What about the bulk of my comments Bayada?

If you're going to address me, please don't pick and choose. What if the "freeloader" has already searched as much as he/she can, and there is no work available? You would prefer the person to spin their wheels in an unproductive manner?

I don't necessarily give much creedence to some people who confide in me.
They are only telling me one side (theirs) of the story.

So, do you know that this person (a stranger) who is complaining behind you in the line at Walmart is being totally honest and accurate in what is happening in their home?

You know for a fact the story your co-worker tells is the entire truth?

If you were to speak with the "freeloader" would you perhaps learn there is more to the situation?

Some people are just bitter, and even if the other person involved is doing the best they can, it is never good enough.

Just as no answer to you will be good enough.

Some people are indeed not doing the best they can.

Based on hearing one side of the story, and not living in that home, you can't tell.

Bayada

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:31 am
@chai2,
"What about the bulk of my comments Bayada?"

I am trying to figure out how to use the quote button.

"Some people are indeed not doing the best they can."

And THOSE are the ones i'm talking about. As only a few posters know that from my first original post

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:54 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
So, do you know that this person (a stranger) who is complaining behind you in the line at Walmart is being totally honest and accurate in what is happening in their home?

and maybe the person being complained about really is a slug

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:16 am

Freeloaders r either good or bad
depending on whether thay r welcome to freeload, or not.

I have been very pleased to accept some people as freeloaders
(also known as guests) and there r many more that I 'd not accept for a minute,
nor any fraction thereof.

David
0 Replies