Dys is enraged with me. I don't argue with him enough. which annoys him.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:24 pm
@2PacksAday,
I'm wildberry ignorant but I lived in berry country for a while. One of our grocery stores was called Wildberries. Walking in the park involved picking berries..
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

Charming? Curious choice of words for this thread. Shocked

Okay, a bit too much hyperbole but I'm trying to steer this thread away from its 'wolf fangs tearing at the jugular vein of each others' necks' nature that the thread has started to turn since this Sunday morn.

Very Happy I hope you succeed where many of us have failed. Wink

Actually, the thread seems to have started just as you describe it's evolution. Crying or Very sad

Did someone mention pumpkin pie? Oh, and pecan pie. Yummy apple pie. mmmm. My wife make a great grape pie from the concord grapes in our yard.
wayne

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Ohh yes, crusts, I once knew a little old gal in Dodge City who'd been making crusts for 70 some years, you just hadda remind me of those.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:30 pm
@wayne,
I suppose she used lard..
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:31 pm
@Intrepid,
Grape pie....wow....never even heard of that one.
wayne

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I think so, her family had run one of those small town diners since she was a little girl, she made out like it was simple, but such perfection, every time, aint common. She would only let you have one piece though.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:35 pm
@wayne,
do you have any remaining connections? (not to be nosy). And that sounds aggressive. I don't mean it that way.

wayne

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know if she's still around, I haven't been down there since 2003 and she was 80 something then, I have a friend who does a pretty good job of it, he's not as consistent though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can see it now........................people in the tour having to buy a double plane ticket home after eating themselves into oblivion. But it IS a lovely idea!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:56 pm
Regarding sour blackberries:

http://blog.gardenerd.com/2008/10/08/sour-blackberries.aspx

Quote:
Sour Blackberries
A gardener wrote in recently:

"I have thornless blackberries bushes, but every year the berries are sour. What can i do to sweeten them up?"

I don't have personal experience with thornless berries, but in my research I found two common answers to this question.

1) The berry bushes may be old and apparently there's nothing to be done about it. Time to get new berries.

2) It's important to wait to harvest the berries until they are no longer shiny. They will have passed from the dark black, shiny stage into a duller black stage and should come right off the vine easily. They will be much softer at this stage as well.

The second answer was most common in my search.

Hopefully this information will help you with your blackberry problems. Keep us posted on your next harvest.

Thanks for writing in!

So, perhaps your neighbor was growing the thornless variety, or she was picking them before they lost their shine.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:06 pm
Talking about pie is probably not a cure. But it has interest.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:30 pm
Berries are treasures here, while they were there to pick, in north north.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure these were from an old plant....they came from some odd fence row, that we never got directions to....they grow all over the place here, and I've picked and eaten them since I was a kid...I can usually tell even when driving by at 25mph if they are ready or not...if they are still sour yet....but these were just super-berries the likes of which I've never seen their equal, nor had my grandmother who is 76.

We often have people bring us berries, that they think are sour...and they are, but not on the order of what I crave.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:16 am
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure these were from an old plant....they came from some odd fence row, that we never got directions to....they grow all over the place here, and I've picked and eaten them since I was a kid...I can usually tell even when driving by at 25mph if they are ready or not...if they are still sour yet....but these were just super-berries the likes of which I've never seen their equal, nor had my grandmother who is 76.

We often have people bring us berries, that they think are sour...and they are, but not on the order of what I crave.
U have "a way with words".

David
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:33 am
When I first moved here to Florida, there were loads of farms around me. You could pick tomatoes, strawberries and blueberries. The first year, I picked and picked. Then I discovered, that unless you plan to give most of them away, or you like to can, there are just so many tomatoes that you can pick and keep.

There are loads of strawberry fields. I used to love to pick strawberries, later finding that my back did not have the same opinion. I did though, develop a healthy respect for the migrant workers who toiled daily in these fields.

But the "pick" that I loved the best were blueberries. There was a farm, about 10 miles out of town. You would drive past the next small town. After that there were only cattle ranches and wide open spaces. (I'll bet that you didn't know that after Texas, Florida has the most cattle). I would go on an early Sunday morning, when most of the locals were in church, and often I had the place mostly to myself.

I would walk between two rows of bushes, where most people did not go. I would pick these gorgeous, marble sized berries, chomping on a few until my lips turned blue. I often got into discussions with the elderly farmer, who had spirited opinions on local politics. My favorite farm is gone now, but there is one that is still working, and I expect to be there in late April.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:21 am
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

in the absence of cj i'll give it a try .
Die Verfolgung und Ermordung Jean Paul Marats dargestellt durch die Schauspielgruppe des Hospizes zu Charenton unter Anleitung des Herrn de Sade
the pursuit and murder of jean paul marat as depicted ( acted out ) by the artists of the hospice of charenton under the guidance of mister de sade .......................................................
let's enjoy the hospice ... ...
hbg

Thank you so much, HBG - very brave of you to answer the call for a translation in the middle of Act 2 of this latest play in a madhouse. Act 3 now appears to be underway; scenery has changed to a combination vegetable patch / tree orchard, forcing the non-gardeners among us to wait backstage. Some of the original dramatis personae from Act 1 have still to put in an appearance though - here's hoping they're all in good health and will return for the 4th Act Smile

hamburgboy

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:10 am
@High Seas,
good morning , high seas ,

you wrote :

Quote:
... very brave of you to answer the call ...

i felt called upon to show that action was required !

Shocked

so i fortified myself and the result is shown above ! Drunk

i felt as strong as a german knight !

hbg

http://usera.imagecave.com/anthoniusii/pictures/germanknight13thcentury.jpg
georgeob1

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:21 am
Yes, but who is Charlotte Corday?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:22 am
@hamburgboy,
HBG -

You rode up on your steed at the precisely perfect time and saved the day, you powerful, courageous German knight!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:19 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

Grape pie....wow....never even heard of that one.

Neither did I. My wife used to use the concord grapes to make juice and it was very good. We didn't use them to make wine because our Italian neighbour said they did not make good wine. One day, she had made some rhubarb and strawberry pies and wondered how it would work with grapes. She tried it and gave one to my brother-inlaw. He loved it and everybody started asking for it after that. I was surprised at how good it was.
0 Replies