Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:26 pm
@plainoldme,
Fashion pushes. That is the mechanism.

Do you wish it to stop?
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Like ehBeth, I prefer style to fashion.

I have some very worn pants. Replacing them will be difficult because I refuse to wear pants whose waist band hits the high hip level.

Now, since many women do not tuck their blouses in or wear tunics or sweaters, how "fashionable" is a waist band that is often unseen?

As I said, this style evolved because of women with pierced navels. It is fine to offer pants and skirts that are comfortable for them, but what about the majority?

I went into the Eileen Fisher store this past fall and asked where the skirts were supposed to ride on the body because I need a straight black skirt. The manager said on the hip. I said that I found that position uncomfortable and told her how the first skirt I had tried on in that style fell off me. She said that her hips are very wide (they are) and so the style is comfortable for her.

Actually, there is a part of me that hates fashion because it demands conformity. While I do wear pants, I prefer skirts. I prefer them for comfort and because a skirt is cooler than pants in the summer and, worn with tights, is often warmer than pants on all but the coldest days. However, I also prefer them for the rebelliousness they represent. Most women wear slacks and I wear them less than I wear skirts.
ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:43 pm
I don't know what to say to you. The market bounds ahead, and I'll agree it does that stupidly sometimes. Indeed, much humor for me. The market will take care of it. Or, not, so, to watch.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:50 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Actually, there is a part of me that hates fashion because it demands conformity.

I think that's far less true now than it has been in the past. My daughter and I were just talking about that... we went to a place that had a bunch of 50's advertisements (Coke, etc.) and she looked around and said "they all have the same face." We talked about how at the time there was a single "look" that was fashionable -- the hair, the makeup, the hemlines, etc. And how that's so different now. (One can be "stylish" or "fashionable" -- the difference between those words could make an interesting discussion -- while being very different from other "stylish"/ "fashionable" people.)
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:58 pm
@sozobe,
It is sort of ironic but I reacted to on line postings of the Miss America contestants as your daughter reacted to the 50s ads. I thought they had two looks: blondes with morning news magazine show anchor looks and brunettes with a somewhat exotic, post-racial appearance who seemed to be no particular race or nationality.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:02 pm
@plainoldme,
So decrees you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:05 pm
@plainoldme,
What I might be comfortable with isn't my scope of the larger world.
0 Replies

Ceili

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:08 pm
Hip-hugger jeans were not introduced because of pierced bellybuttons. They were first called boyfriend jeans because chicks would borrow the boyfriends levis, they sat on the hip and didn't strangle the waist. As often witnessed in fashion, street looks are adopted into the mainstream.
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:13 pm
@Ceili,
But your explanation doesn't really negate that the low rise jeans were borrowed from the boys because of belly button piercings. I've heard enough women complain about regular pants hurting fresh piercings.

In the 60s, guys slashed their jeans and inserted (or their girlfriends did) triangles of old madras shirts to make bellbottoms and the jeans manufacturers followed along.
Ceili

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:26 pm
@plainoldme,
I used to do this in the 80's. I don't have any piercing anywhere but me ears. The same could be said for most of my friends, we all bought boys jeans. They lay on the hip, they were way more comfortable. I personally love the low rise jeans, I always hated all that constriction and again, I grew up in the 80's. I can't tell you how many pair of jeans I did up with a coat hanger.
I'd venture a guess and say most women who wear low rise jeans don't have piercings, but for those that do, they do make it more convenient to show them off.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
Her sense of style is, almost always, hideous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 22 Jan, 2011 02:23 am
@sozobe,
It wasn't just fashion, either. Conformity was valued, it was celebrated. It was a world in which racial and religious minorities were invisible. It was a world that bought a new car every two years, and in which everyone had a role, knew it and (allegedly) were happy to fill it. The 1960s changed so many things, and even while the States remained largely white and middle class in the public eye, diversity of many things, fashion included, began to creep in.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:43 pm
Due to the ice our plant shut down at noon and on my way home from work I stopped at Fred's. I was looking at the magazines in the front and I nearly burst out with 'ALL RIGHT!' I saw the February 2011 cover of Ebony Magazine. There was our President and his gorgeous wife and she was wearing that gorgeous gown that I have been talking about." She was actually glowing.

Hmm, I am trying to find the cover to post it on here but maybe it wasn't Ebony. I thought it was. I'll keep looking.

I found it. There are three covers for February 2011. Isn't she beautiful?

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2818/ebonymichellebarack505x.jpg

0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 03:10 pm
Quote:
Michelle Obama wows in a $35 H&M dress.
by Ariel Kaiser, The Thread Stylist, on Wed Feb 9, 2011 5:13pm PST

First Lady Michelle Obama appeared on the "Today" show yesterday to talk to Matt Lauer about a number of issues, including President Obama's job performance and the fact that he now has quit smoking. She also dispelled rumors that her husband dyes his grey hair and spoke about not letting her daughters on the social network site Facebook.

But, in the fashion world, the big news from Mrs. Obama's interview was her choice of dress. The first lady wore a breezy, feminine, polka-dot piece, not from some fancy big-name designer, but off-the-rack and available for $34.95 from Swedish company H&M.

The navy frock is part of the retail chain's current collection, which is in stores across the country now. Mrs. Obama's office said her stylist customized the look by adding three-quarter-length sleeves and pairing the dress with a bold orange belt (in lieu of its original red cloth sash) and bright yellow heels.

Though lately she's been making a splash in higher-end designs, like the Alexander McQueen gown she wore to a recent state dinner, Mrs. Obama is no stranger to bargain fashion. In the past, she's donned $10 t-shirts from the Gap, sundresses from Target and is known to favor mid-range chain stores like J.Crew.

It's also not the first time she's chosen a design by H&M. On the 2008
campaign trail, she famously pulled off a striped shift dress from the chain and paired it with a thick black belt, part of a signature look which was said to make her seem more accessible to many American women.
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2091/polkadot.jpg

I might have been a bit wowed if she hadn't of worn those yellow shoes that clashes with the orange belt. I do like the style of the dress.
Pemerson

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 03:23 pm
@Arella Mae,
She definitely has her own style of clothing that I don't either like or dislike. It's just her, Michelle Obama. I don't get the yellow shoes.

I do like, however whatever she's had done to her face, hair, teeth. Amazing!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 03:27 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
[I might have been a bit wowed if she hadn't of worn those yellow shoes that clashes with the orange belt.

now see, I love the yellow and orange together

today I'm wearing grey slacks and a grey tunic-type vest over a purple long sleeve t. my accessories include acid green shoes and a turquoise scarf with acid green threads. some of us dig the bolder colour combos.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 05:31 pm
Fashion has been isolating in many ways in the past. Suddenly you couldn't find things you liked in stores. For plainoldme, non low rise jeans. For me it was the day I combed Westwood (west LA) to find a button down shirt, probably mid late sixties. Never mind button down, I couldn't find a shirt at all.

The internet, bless its heart, can help on all this.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 07:08 pm
My mom was so particular about clothes. What colors to wear together and what colors not to wear together, when to wear white shoes and when not to. I guess it really stuck with me.

I think Michelle is looking beautiful. She is a very striking woman.
Pemerson

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 08:22 pm
@Arella Mae,
I remember when you were a complete dunce should you wear green & blue together. Pink and red, too.

But, if I wore green and blue, or pink and red, would I just for no reason wear yellow shoes? I think she's rebelious, or her purse is yellow.
Arella Mae

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 08:44 pm
@Pemerson,
You just brought back a memory! I had this beautiful bright red pleated wool skirt. I also had this beautiful light pink sweater. I thought my mother was going to throw up when she saw them on me! LOLOL!
0 Replies