plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:29 pm
When the official portrait of Michelle was published, the one in the sleeveless sheath (one of her best outfits -- I do agree with Arella Mae about much of her clothing), which exposed her beautiful shoulders and arms, gyms were swamped with requests from women for upper body workouts. One personal trainer said that he tells women not to expect to look like Michelle, that her appearance is largely due to heredity.
0 Replies

Irishk

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:30 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I would not have thought her impact were that great--but i can see it. I hadn't known that women were that interested in her. It's not something i'd ever investigated.

It's what we do Smile (Some of us).

Kate Middleton will be next on the press' radar. Poor thing will have everything she wears scrutinized/examined/commented upon from here on out.
Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:34 pm
@Irishk,
I am sure she is going to be compared to Lady Di for years to come.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:35 pm
@Irishk,
Yes, Kate will. Her natural and vibrant beauty not withstanding. Or her slim figure.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 02:15 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yah, but she's been out of the office for a half a century. That's a long-ass time. Nobody since then has brought fashion to the office, till Mrs. Obama.

Cycloptichorn
I am sorry but overall Mrs. Obama has not brought fasion into the office. She has worn maybe three or four outfits that I have seen that are great. Seriously, and this is only MY opinion, most of the stuff she wears is tacky, which I think is a shame because it is obvious she can look elegant, beautiful, fashionable, and flat out stunning.

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course.

But compared to the last several First Ladies? To say that she hasn't brought fashion to the office to a higher degree than Laura Bush, Clinton, Bush sr., or Nancy Reagan? C'mon.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 02:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

I like to talk about fashion and how other women dress. It does not mean I don't recognize anything else about that person. Nothing Jackie O wore made her look like grandma or a "b". It's one of the reasons people liked her so much. She was "real" to them.

Haha, AM - Jackie O was first lady over 45 years ago. That counts as 'nobody in forever.' You might as well be talking about Eleanor Roosevelt or Mrs. Lincoln at this point.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 02:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

I like to talk about fashion and how other women dress. It does not mean I don't recognize anything else about that person. Nothing Jackie O wore made her look like grandma or a "b". It's one of the reasons people liked her so much. She was "real" to them.

Haha, AM - Jackie O was first lady over 45 years ago. That counts as 'nobody in forever.' You might as well be talking about Eleanor Roosevelt or Mrs. Lincoln at this point.

Cycloptichorn

Ah, she chuckles, fifty years really does fly right on by. I broke up with my first boyfriend the night Kennedy was shot. (We were back together the next Monday). I remember that period quite well.

When you get to be my age, you may even remember Barack Obama's good black suits.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 02:27 pm
On Michelle and her toned muscles, unless she has changed since I last read, she does early morning workouts that would put, er, many of us to shame... certainly me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 03:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hillary did wear some pretty tacky outfits no doubt and Barbara Bush wasn't a fashionista either but seriously, Michelle (IMO) wears things that clash, look too small, look awkward, make her look bow-legged, make her butt look twice the size it is, etc. But it's just my opinion and has the same value as yours does.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 03:48 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Kate Middleton will be next on the press' radar. Poor thing will have everything she wears scrutinized/examined/commented upon from here on out.

She should just walk around nekkid.
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:46 pm
@Setanta,
I'm certain that a nekkid Kate would be popular with some men, but, I remember male members of the press getting their tidy whities in a knot over the fact that Diana was 11 years younger than Charles. I also remember on one 90 degree day, Diana was criticized for not wearing hose. At the time, I thought if she is the only sensible woman in England, why criticize her? However, women have eschewed hose and I think high heeled pumps worn without stockings look tacky, particularly when you are commuting by subway in Boston on a snow-laden February evening
Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:48 pm
@plainoldme,
Didn't they also make a big deal of the fact she had forgotten to put on a slip one morning? That was in the movie so I don't know if it really happened or not.
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:51 pm
@Arella Mae,
The missing slip was because of a picture taken when their engagement was announced. She was still working at the preschool and someone snapped a photo of her in her thin cotton skirt, worn without a slip. It was a sunny day and her legs were outlined. Is there a difference between a woman's legs being outlined under a thin cotton skirt and a woman's legs being outlined by leggings and a short tunic?
Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@plainoldme,
I always thought it was pretty stupid to make such a big deal out of that. Sheesh look at how short some skirts are and the leggings and tunic-no difference.
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:57 pm
@Arella Mae,
I avoid short skirts. Mid-knee is short enough. As a 63 year old teacher, I have no desire to look like I am trying to recapture my youth.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:57 pm
I'm a woman who was a girl of the fifties. Most of fashion is fun to me, by definition.

Not that I am not opinionated; my opinions vary, even among themselves.
plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Some of today's fashion isn't fun. I dislike pants and skirts that ride below the waist. I'm long waisted to begin with so I look like a goon in them. Besides, they're uncomfortable for me. The short jackets that barely skim the lower rib cage look terrible on me for the same reason. Besides, my belly button isn't pierced, so I don't "need" to wear those styles.

However, let's face it, every new fashion trend means some one's shape will not adjust to it. I tried to explain to an ex-boyfriend that there are many differently shaped hip structures, so that pants cut a certain way will suit some women and not others. He thought I was talking nonsense.
ossobuco

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:10 pm
@plainoldme,
Oh, come on. This reminds me of an early art teacher (who of course annoyed me, bless Jean)

Fashion is play.
I know it is also business, but long live play.

Jean Barlow/Gordon Nunez. They are probably not online. Wonderful people. Both good painters. And teachers.
ehBeth

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yah, but she's been out of the office for a half a century. That's a long-ass time. Nobody since then has brought fashion to the office, till Mrs. Obama.

1. Mrs. Kennedy was never "in office".

2. 50 years is not a long-ass time in fashion/style/design.

3. You're likely to get considerable disagreement about who brought fashion/style to the WH between Mrs. Kennedy and Mrs. Obama (and a lot of us can get into a LOT of detail that you won't enjoy).

I don't like fashion much but I love to debate style Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
It isn't fun it is uncomfortable to wear.