Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I like to talk about fashion and how other women dress. It does not mean I don't recognize anything else about that person. Nothing Jackie O wore made her look like grandma or a "b". It's one of the reasons people liked her so much. She was "real" to them.
saab

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:26 pm
I saw on the Jackie K´s video that she also had a dress with a broad belt. It made her look very slim, but Michelle´s belts make her look pregnant and she is a slim woman - another type of figure than Jackie K - but still slim.

Beside fashion I wish Michelle would stop walking hand in hand with her husband on almost every picture at every occasion. She is an independent and empancipated woman and I would like her show that. Instead she clings to her husband like scared little kid holding mom´s hand. And there are occasions where it looks wrong.
Or is it supposed to be a sign of a romantic marriage for the yellow press?
Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:27 pm
@saab,
You have a problem with people showing their devotion and affection for each other? I don't see it as a sign of weakness. I see it as they are a strong family and I'm happy for them.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Not a fair criticism, Cyclo. She has been discussed in other contexts, and if she were more strident, or more actively sought the public limelight, i suspect there would be even more discussion of her. But the people here have the right to discuss this aspect of her public image--that fashion doesn't interest you does not mean either that it is a petty thing to discuss, or that the people who wish to discuss it are petty.

Well, I agree with that - my point is more that the media, especially the political media, make more of a fuss about what she wears than what she does.

I think in a lot of ways that attacking her fashion choices is a stalking horse for criticizing her, because there's little to ACTUALLY criticism her about.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:30 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I like to talk about fashion and how other women dress. It does not mean I don't recognize anything else about that person. Nothing Jackie O wore made her look like grandma or a "b". It's one of the reasons people liked her so much. She was "real" to them.

Haha, AM - Jackie O was first lady over 45 years ago. That counts as 'nobody in forever.' You might as well be talking about Eleanor Roosevelt or Mrs. Lincoln at this point.

Cycloptichorn
Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
"A nobody in forever" really? Isn't it strange that there have been movies made about her and she is still spoken of quite highly by more people than not? She is probably the most spoken of first lady in history I think.
aidan

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I think in a lot of ways that attacking her fashion choices is a stalking horse for criticizing her, because there's little to ACTUALLY criticism her about

I like Michelle Obama - but I don't always like her dresses- in fact I often don't. But I'm not looking for ways to criticize her.

On the first page - I HATE the one with the bow and then the weird little pseudo peasant dress she wears with black tights.
I love the red gown- especially on her with her skin tone.

I love the beige and silver off-the shoulder- gown. I think she is a vision of loveliness in it with her hair loosely curled as it is - it softens the features of her face. I hate that helmet hair head-do she's wearing with the bowed dress.
And leather gloves just look silly unless you're wearing a coat - as in your hands might also be cold, so you're wearing gloves - but with a dress? Why?
And if it's not cold enough to wear a coat and you're holding your husband's hand - take the gloves off for goodness sake.
Who do you think told her it'd be cool to wear lime green leather gloves with a dress and no coat?

I don't like those knee-length belted dresses worn with flats that seems to be one of her signature styles. It makes her look bow legged, awkward and a little masculine.

I think I just figured it out - I think she looks better in long dresses because of her legs. Is she a little bow-legged?

I didn't like Jackie Kennedy's wedding dress. Too fussy - I do like the one POM suggested much, much better.

I like clean, simple lines. I think Michelle Obama looks much better when she doesn't break the line with those belts.
I also think she has fabulous skin and hair.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:47 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

"A nobody in forever" really? Isn't it strange that there have been movies made about her and she is still spoken of quite highly by more people than not? She is probably the most spoken of first lady in history I think.

Yah, but she's been out of the office for a half a century. That's a long-ass time. Nobody since then has brought fashion to the office, till Mrs. Obama.

Cycloptichorn
saab

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
@Arella Mae,
No, I don´t have a problem with people showing their feelings. It is just that the President of USA and his wife should not look like high school sweathearts and cling to one another. Now and then is ok but not all the time.
There are occasions where walking arm in arm looks more elegant - like at a big evening banquet or walk next to one another.

Setanta

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, I agree with that - my point is more that the media, especially the political media, make more of a fuss about what she wears than what she does.

I think in a lot of ways that attacking her fashion choices is a stalking horse for criticizing her, because there's little to ACTUALLY criticism her about.

Cycloptichorn

Certainly she has been an uncontroversial figure. I don't think anyone here is using her for a stalking horse . . . although one does have to be cautious with the evil Arella Mae. But the fashion issue is important, whether or not you or i are intersted in it--it's a multi-billion dollar industry.
sozobe

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:00 pm
@Setanta,
And it's particularly interesting with her because she's had a real impact on that industry. When I was looking for fashion stuff I came across a graphic in I think the Washington Post?? about just how big that impact is. I don't remember enough to find it back, but when I just Googled I found this which is about the same thing:

http://theweek.com/article/index/208656/michelle-obamas-3-billion-fashion-effect

Excerpt:
Quote:
How much money do the companies make?
Yermack reckons that, on average, an appearance by Michelle Obama in a company's clothes is worth $14 million. The total boost for all of the appearances examined in the study — a whopping $2.7 billion. Designer Naeem Khan found out first hand about the first lady's influence when she wore one of his outfits to a state dinner in February 2009. "My stuff is flying out of stores," the designer says. "It's the gift that doesn't stop giving."

I also think a discussion of her fashion is warranted because it's something that she clearly puts thought into -- she's making fashion choices rather than just blending into the woodwork.

I think the fashion can be discussed, and then also, separately, her work as the First Lady can be discussed.
Setanta

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:03 pm
I would not have thought her impact were that great--but i can see it. I hadn't known that women were that interested in her. It's not something i'd ever investigated.
Irishk

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:14 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Designer Naeem Khan found out first hand about the first lady's influence when she wore one of his outfits to a state dinner in February 2009. "My stuff is flying out of stores," the designer says. "It's the gift that doesn't stop giving."

I can see why. That was a particularly beautiful dress and she looked quite fabulous.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2009-11-25-michelleobama.jpg

Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yah, but she's been out of the office for a half a century. That's a long-ass time. Nobody since then has brought fashion to the office, till Mrs. Obama.

Cycloptichorn
I am sorry but overall Mrs. Obama has not brought fasion into the office. She has worn maybe three or four outfits that I have seen that are great. Seriously, and this is only MY opinion, most of the stuff she wears is tacky, which I think is a shame because it is obvious she can look elegant, beautiful, fashionable, and flat out stunning.
Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:17 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

No, I don´t have a problem with people showing their feelings. It is just that the President of USA and his wife should not look like high school sweathearts and cling to one another. Now and then is ok but not all the time.
There are occasions where walking arm in arm looks more elegant - like at a big evening banquet or walk next to one another.

But who are you to decide that for them? They obviously care very deeply for each other and are not afraid to let the world see it.
Setanta

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:18 pm
@Arella Mae,
Some people are PDA averse . . .
Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:19 pm
@Setanta,
Twisted Evil you best behave................................. Razz
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:20 pm
@Irishk,
I could not agree with you more! In that lovely gown she looks perfectly proportioned and has a beautiful waistline that definitely doesn't need a wide belt.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:21 pm
@sozobe,
In no way could I have ever identified with Barbara Bush.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Some people are PDA averse . . .
Well, then they shouldn't do it but shouldn't have problems with anyone else doing it. It's not like they are nekkid and having sex.
0 Replies