Non-Christian - not my brother

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:40 am
A statement from the new governor of Alamaba.

Quote:
Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn't a Christian doesn't have that same relationship to him.

.."If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.

I understand his point of view. He is happy and secure now that he has found Jesus, but does that have to exclude all others who may have a different viewpoint.

I am a Buddhist. I am also happy and secure in my beliefs and they work for me and I would be willing to discuss why with anyone who is interested. I do not try to convert anyone. If you have different beliefs, fine, as long as they don't include hurtful actions to anyone else. Didn't Jesus say to love your brother, your neighbor, as yourself? Did he exclude non Christians?

I am wondering how these feelings translate into actions as the governor. Will he promote state activities to benefit Christians and exclude others?

Does this statement - "Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.
mean that I need to find Jesus to be his brother?

Why does he not understand that this is insulting.

It is kind of like when Britt Hume told Tiger that he needs to find Jesus to resolve his problems. That Buddhism would not give Tiger what he needed to solve his problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 17,713 • Replies: 354

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:31 am

If one consults the Constitution of Alabama
to ascertain the duties of Governor,
there is not much chance that it will require him
to define anyone as his brother.
JPB

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:34 am
@IRFRANK,
I just started/deleted a thread on this too, Frank. I think it's completely inappropriate for a sitting governor to make those remarks. OTOH, I think that all of the citizens of AL have a right to know how their governor feels about them.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:44 am
@IRFRANK,
Also a Buddhist; and I'm saddened by this guys' intolerance.

Quote:
It is kind of like when Britt Hume told Tiger that he needs to find Jesus to resolve his problems. That Buddhism would not give Tiger what he needed to solve his problems.

If only they knew. Smile

Cycloptichorn
boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:55 am
@IRFRANK,
If Jesus wept more that the two times the Bible describes, surely it was over bullshit like what this guy is saying.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:00 am
Well, he certainly put all those damned Jews in their place . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:03 am
i believe the hollies said it best (and the housemartins sang it best)

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there

For I know
He would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all
THEN I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share

And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all

He's my brother
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I'm with you, OmSigDavid.
All he did was define who he considers his "brothers and sisters".
That does not define his constituents.
That does not define his fellow citizens.
He would probably not define me, a Catholic, as his brother either.
My feelings aren't hurt.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
If only they knew.

Having others not understand is understandable for me. I don't mind that, and actually hope they will find some compassion. It's just difficult hearing others say our teaching is lacking when they have such little knowledge of it. I wonder how much teaching Tiger has had. I always thought it might have contributed to his ability to focus and concentrate on the golf course. Who knows.

As usual I guess the lesson to learn is to be better ourselves.

I feel that we are all brothers, and that the choice is not ours to make.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:40 pm
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

That came from Boy's town, didn't it?

I remember Sammy Davis said, while carrying Dean Martin.

"You ain't my brother, you just heavy!"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:54 pm
Those remarks are not in the prepared speech

Full speech (pdf)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:32 pm
@George,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
George wrote:
I'm with you, OmSigDavid.
All he did was define who he considers his "brothers and sisters".
That does not define his constituents.
That does not define his fellow citizens.
He would probably not define me, a Catholic, as his brother either.
My feelings aren't hurt.
Long ago, in theory, I was a Catholic.
I seem to remember a Catholic loyalty to Jesus.
The opening paragraf alleges that:
". . . Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone
who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters. "

Anyone = anyone, George.

David
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:38 pm
It's unfortunate that the news and so many latch onto something that a man says that may or may not mean what is communicated. It's the sensational way the media portrays anything, looking for a story. He said what he said, and perhaps he did not mean it in the way it was reported at all. I suspect that may be true. I wouldn't judge him by these words, let's wait and see what his actions are.

The headlines "Governor rejects non-christians' is not accurate at all, I would think. It's sad that that is allowed to stand without question.

The devisiveness catches our attention. It generates hits on a webpage. It caught my attention. A lesson learned.

I went back and read what he actually said, and

Quote:
"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

I guess I don't know how to take this message. Does this disprespect those who don't accept Jesus? Being this guys brother is not my highest goal in life, although I would treat him that way regardless. Does it affect how he treats people as governor? I don't know, not necessarily.

I don't know what to think about it. I get the same message from people at my wifes church, she is a Baptist, but they treat me well and with respect. They just wish I would join their belief. I with they would take enough interest to find out more about my beliefs, but that won't happen. So what. I go my way and tolerate and accept them and they me.

JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 02:05 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
It is kind of like when Britt Hume told Tiger that he needs to find Jesus to resolve his problems.

Why is that asshole Hume even let on TV?
George

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDavid wrote:
Anyone = anyone, George.

Yes, I would like to think so.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:12 pm
Well, he has divided the room, hasn't he?

(I'm so ******* sick of politicians, anyway. Where do these people come from?

0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:13 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

It's unfortunate that the news and so many latch onto something that a man says that may or may not mean what is communicated. It's the sensational way the media portrays anything, looking for a story. He said what he said, and perhaps he did not mean it in the way it was reported at all. I suspect that may be true. I wouldn't judge him by these words, let's wait and see what his actions are.

The headlines "Governor rejects non-christians' is not accurate at all, I would think. It's sad that that is allowed to stand without question.

The devisiveness catches our attention. It generates hits on a webpage. It caught my attention. A lesson learned.

I went back and read what he actually said, and

Quote:
"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

I guess I don't know how to take this message. Does this disprespect those who don't accept Jesus? Being this guys brother is not my highest goal in life, although I would treat him that way regardless. Does it affect how he treats people as governor? I don't know, not necessarily.

I don't know what to think about it. I get the same message from people at my wifes church, she is a Baptist, but they treat me well and with respect. They just wish I would join their belief. I with they would take enough interest to find out more about my beliefs, but that won't happen. So what. I go my way and tolerate and accept them and they me.

I can tell you what (at least what I think he means). Christians call each other brothers and sisters in Christ (these terms are used quite frequently in the south). As Christians, we do want others to be our brothers and sisters in Christ because we do believe it is the right way and we want good for others.

I don't think he meant to offend anyone and I don't think he meant he is going to be biased to Christians. There are plenty of atheists in office and I never one time had the thought that well they will only care about the atheist view, but that's me.

I don't think he should have made the comment at all considering the political/religious atmosphere of today. But I think you are right, we need to wait and see what actually happens. Things can be said with absolutely no intent of offending anyone and the next thing you know a whole group of someone took it differently and is upset.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:19 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Anybody here today who has accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother

yeah, i'm sure that would fly high. anyway, I agree with IRFRANK.
JPB

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:23 pm
@dyslexia,
No kidding.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:50 pm
I see no problem with stating that only the Christian contingent are your brothers and sisters, as long as you view the rest as your neighbours.
0 Replies