Non-Christian - not my brother

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:31 pm
@wayne,
Is that what you meant by brothers in arms?
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:43 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I could care less who feels close to me.

Another fine example of a much maligned structure from an English native speaker.

Foofie, wearing his/her prescriptive hat, might be mortified. Smile
Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:51 pm
@JTT,
I believe a foofie is sexless...

(think androgynous pat)
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 01:26 am
@Arella Mae,
Yes, when we divide ourselves into these subgroups, or brotherhoods, it begs of conflict.
I don't really have to consider your position or needs if you're not part of my brotherhood of belief. Or skin color, or nationality etc.

That's pretty much the history of man. The thing is, now that we are faced with the necessity of a global world, we're gonna have to get beyond that.
If we can't find a way to set all that aside, in favor of the brotherhood of man, we are likely to destroy ourselves.

In that sense, I am offended by his statement. It is, in fact, what he thinks.
His "brothers" will always come first. Of course you're welcome to join, just be like him.
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:29 am
@wayne,
A more succinct statement of your meaning might be tribalism.
wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:46 am
@Setanta,
Seems like I am discovering that a lot lately. Humans are so tribal.
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:51 am
@wayne,
It seems to be universal, too. It's stone age tribes in Papua, and the members of the stock exchange. It's the willful perception of "the other."
wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:54 am
@Setanta,
The only thing that can save us from ourselves is an alien attack.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:58 am
To me, it would be a petty conceit equivalent to theism to think we were that important to the aliens.
wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:03 am
@Setanta,
I doubt we'd mean much to them, surely they lust for our lecithin supply though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:17 am
Maybe they'd just push us aside while they mine our heavy metals . . .
jcboy

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:24 am
Governor Putz. He would have been dressed more appropriately but his sheet was at the cleaners.
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:25 am
@Setanta,
everyone lusts after our Helium3. Its our power of essence that sustains peace on earth.

0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:35 am
@Setanta,
Hey, they can have all the rap & grunge they want (even take justin bieber) but they better leave our heavy metals alone.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What's the big deal?
Quote:
The comments spread quickly in the traditional news and social media, stirring throngs of divided reaction. Bentley said later he wasn't trying to insult people of other religions. "He is the governor of all the people, Christians and non-Christians alike," said his communications director, Rebekah Caldwell Mason.

]

I keep going back and forth on this. On one hand he certainly has a right to his own religion, as a man. My own tolerance provides me the ability to accept that, I hope. On the other hand, as governor, those religious beliefs should not effect his job performance or motivation toward other constituents. Why did he jump up on a Christian pulpit only one hour after his inauguration? Did he speak at any other places of worship? Does that indicate a predispostion? Perhaps.

This is just another friction point in our long struggle toward a secular vs. religious government in this country. I hope the religious leaders who think moving toward a stronger religious influence in government remember the misuses of power throughout history before allowing their beliefs to change their view of government. I, for one, cringe when we go off on a crusade in God's name. Remember, there are folks in the mid-east doing the same thing, only God's name has changed.

I think it is a very big deal.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
[quoteFor all we know, his comments and the attending mud slinging of the left will assure him re-election in Alabama.
][/quote]

Careful, you're starting to sound like Sarah.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:31 am
@Foofie,
This would be true on an individual basis. I would hope the governor has a more open attitude.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:35 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The statement about who can be a "brother" is fine, in my opinion. If his beliefs excludes non-Christians from being a "brother," why care? A biological brother reflects being a blood relation, or at least reflecting a step-sibling. So, if a biological brother has obvious criteria, why should a spiritual brother not have criteria? I could care less who feels close to me. I do not find it offensive if someone says I cannot be their "brother." In fact, if one tells me I am his/her brother, and the criteria includes being a Christian, I am suspicious of the individual wanting to convert me!

wait, this can't be right, i agree with foofie

kindly have someone put all the chairs up on the tables, and turn out the lights, the world is surely coming to an end
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:52 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
. . . Why did he jump up on a Christian pulpit only one hour after his
inauguration? . . .

It was MLK day. Dr. King had preached in that church.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 08:35 am
@wayne,
So then I should just assume an atheist in public office is going to not consider me because I am not an atheist? Never had that thought and I don't find it valid at all.

If someone is a Christian then they consider others above themselves, ALL others.