Non-Christian - not my brother

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:02 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Do you really find his comments "incredibly" inappropriate.

Yes. You'd feel the same if Obama one day decided to offer some sort special relationship and status to African-Americans. The point is that such statements divide the population into first and second class citizens. Bush Sr. made the same mistake...

George H.W. Bush wrote:
I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.
Thursday, August 27, 1987

It doesn't matter if it's a divide over religion, gender, race, etc. The suggestion that some citizens are somehow of greater importance to those put in office to look out for the whole public's interest is a serious reason to be upset.

Yes, incredibly inappropriate.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I think I would save that adjective for a governor who told the people of his state that he saw non-Christians as second class citizens, or that he wanted to fry and eat them.

Saying that some of the citizens are your brothers and sisters, more importantly that others aren't, is pretty much saying that, Finn.

Frying and eating? Come on, Finn. That's appealing to the extreme, extremely.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I still don't see what the big deal is. Being mildly concerned that this guy will not treat non-Christian Alabamans the same as those he considers his brother and sisters is hardly the same as being oppressed or even rationally afraid.

What you're describing is some sort of middle status between inequality and oppression. I suppose if neither is applied to you, what's the difference right? Come on, Finn. you're smarter than this. Why defend the guy? It was a dumb thing to say, and I hope for the sake of Alabama, it's a lesson for him about what job he has and who he serves.

A
R
T

Obama has a special relationship with African-Americans - it doesn't bother me and I don't assume they hold a special status in his presidential eyes.

I've heard him refer to another black male as "brother," and while I thought it was a forced affectation it didn't bother me as a citizen.

In any case, I'm not defending the guy. All things considered he would have been better off not saying what he did, and he knows it. I just don't think it's a big deal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Replying to myself, and Arella,

"I am not trying to start anything here but I cannot tell you how many people (that I have personally heard say or post it in a chatroom) think because we now have a black man as President that the black population will receive favoritism. I think that is just as ridiculous as I do about the brother/sister thing. "

That is what my sigh was about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:11 pm
@Arella Mae,
Well, it's media.

To edit, it's media and people.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I've been thinking and maybe I am not being entirely fair here. I go to Yahoo Christian Chatrooms and believe me, there are people in there that claim to be Christian that it's no wonder people get angry at Christians and Christianity. Those people will flat out say things like "God loves me and he doesn't love you. God doesn't hear your prayers. You can't pray for me because blah, blah, blah. They will call non-believers demons, tell them to go to hell, etc.," so to me this situation sems so miniscule in comparison and that really isn't fair to everyone. I seriously do not want anyone to think I am discounting your feelings because I am not.

He never (and I think now even he'd agree) should have made that statement. I am sorry that it did upset anyone and I pray that in the future he is going to remember this and learn from it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
Self-described Christians, as a group, are no better or worse that any other group of a similar size.

The ones that wear their religion like a feather boa annoy the he'll out of me, as do the ones that can't take "No" for an answer once they start proselytizing.

If one truly follows the teachings of Jesus, one is probably a very good sort.

It just seems to me that his teachings are better sold through example than through blather.

The Guv, as Chicago-Joe suggested, was acting like a club member and not someone of deep and abiding faith. It was hardly his finest moment, but it was just annoying, not alarming ...at least to me.

People who act dopey are not necessarily nefarious, but they will be considered so by secularists who see religious bogeymen in every corner.

Your faith should motivate, direct, and sustain you. It's hard enough discovering God's truth without wasting time on a membership drive. Once someone has made the discovery, it's highly unlikely that they will be a pushy dope.

If anyone was close to understanding the words of Jesus, it should have been his disciples who followed him day and night, and yet what schmucks so many of them proved to be.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Oh, wait a minute, it's not the word "brothers" that is the problem. It's the date and location of Bentley's remarks that bug you.

It's the combination of both that causes the problem. I care about the separation of church and state. Bentley corroded it by mixing his exclusionary sectarian affirmations into the state and federal celebrations he took part in as governor. As I already told you, I wouldn't care if he had said the same things in his own church, outside the context of those state and federal festivities.
wayne

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No problem. I was trying to make a point about the differences in being considerate and tolerant. Don't know if I did much of a job of it though.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
Ok , suppose that instead, Gov. Bently had spoken to a group of oil executives, at the masonic lodge in mobile, in full view of the press. Had he said, if you are in the oil business you are my brothers and sisters, if you are not in the oil business I want you to be my brothers and sisters.
Who's offended by that?
Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:42 pm
@wayne,
bad analogy
wayne

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:43 pm
@Ragman,
Why? A special interest group is a special interest group.
Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:44 pm
@wayne,
Take a look at Constitution under Separation of Church and State. This discussion is getting circuitous. Why not look at previous comments in thread?
wayne

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:55 pm
@Ragman,
Don't quite get your point. I posited christianity as a special interest group, given the separation of church and state that seems reasonable. I'm not at all clear on what you disagree with.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:32 pm
Does it really matter what some dirty ass Christian thinks or believes? **** all of them, human garbage, and those who defend them.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:39 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Does it really matter what some dirty ass Christian thinks or believes? **** all of them, human garbage, and those who defend them.

That will lead people to reason.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:40 pm
@jcboy,
the anger management meeting is two doors down on the left.

good luck.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:36 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Oh please let me be just like you so I can abuse other people and think I'm better than them and call them garbage! Oh please, please! Aren't you just Mr. Tolerant! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

BTW, what you said didn't offend me. It makes me sad for you. It is very sad when anyone thinks because others are different in some way they can treat them like garbage.
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:22 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
It is very sad when anyone thinks because others are different in some way they can treat them like garbage.

George H.W. Bush wrote:
Quote:

I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:39 pm
@JTT,
I'm not convinced he ever said that. I tried to find it on both snopes and factcheck and can't find anything like it. Not that I know for sure he didn't say it, but...
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:41 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
It is very sad when anyone thinks because others are different in some way they can treat them like garbage.

George H.W. Bush wrote:
Quote:

Why do you do that? Do you now expect me to say something about it? I said when 'ANYONE' thinks because others are different..............
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:42 pm
@JPB,
As i suspect you know, i don't ordinarily read posts by the member JTT. However, i did out of curiosity on this occasion. That quote by the elder Bush has been repeated again and again in militant atheist circles since 1987. I don't know if he did say it, but enough people believe it that he might as well have said it.