Non-Christian - not my brother

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 11:46 am
Krumple, JPB

I am going to risk it and jump in here.

Krumple, I understand your problems with the concept of heaven but I think you are making some assumptions about other's concepts and what they mean.

Heaven is not necessarily a place you go to regardless of your actions here. So if it exists it should be seen as a goal, gained from a worthy existence, not an excuse for bad bahavior here and now. Now, as a buddhist I have a different concept. One of reincarnation and karma. Karma follows you into the next existence and in fact determines your next existence. With enough bad karma you may return as a lower life form, which is not very enjoyable.

Buddhism does not really address the question of a god or god's at all. That's not a question that can be answered so what's the point of the question? The real question is one of how should we live and what are the benefits of morals? Buddha's teachings provide a path to living that will provide good karma and a better existence in future lives. In fact, the goal is enlightenment, the ultimate goal. While I know I have a long way to go to enlightenment, there is no doubt that the teachings are proper and benefit my life here and now. Even if there is no reincarnation, the benefits are in this life too, so following the teachings seem like the right thing to me.

Looking at others and seeing the bad things that come about from their religious mistakes do not make all religions bad. Humans are a very selfish and violent species. There are many reasons they contrive to steal and hurt others.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:17 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Therefore if you say black is false, and white is truth, then when you claim things are more gray you are really saying things are half truths.

that is incorrect

shades of grey

http://davefleet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/greyscale-259x300.jpg

occasionally/rarely white or black or half-white/half-black

I understand that you want things to be simple, to be right/wrong, true/false, black/white. I do understand that as your perspective.

I don't find life and belief systems to be that simple.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:18 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
I think you heard it or read it somewhere once before, thought it was good and used it without even understanding it.

you certainly are a condescending creature
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 06:12 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
that is incorrect

You don't understand that to make gray you add a little black to white, or a little white to black? I think you are stuck on the fact that I used the word "half" as if I meant that it were perfectly in between true and false, which I didn't.

Let's actually provide some context here because your constant use of arbitrary statements goes no where with what you are trying to argue.

Does prayer actually work? There can only be one answer to this, it is either yes it does, or no it doesn't. You can't have both a yes it works and no it doesn't work. Despite the fact that some will try to argue that perhaps prayer only works for some and not for everyone. Well then we have a whole other problem to deal with. But lets go onto a different example.

There is either a god, or there is not a god. Both can not be true. You can't say that it is relative truth either than simply because one believes there is a god that it all of sudden exists for them, but not for the person who does not believe. That is silly. There is one truth, either a god exists or it doesn't. There is no room for grayness here. Unless you want to talk about something completely different? Like a god does exist but it's not really a god so it's sort of a god but not really a god. Then you get into a whole different mess.

Reality is not subjective but our reflection of reality is. But people get this fact mixed up, they assume that experience is always subjective, but it's not, what they are referring to is how a person reacts to their experience, and that IS subjective. These two things people get confused and hung up on often and can't seem to tell the difference.

This is why things like the concept of a god or spirituality is SO vague because people are using a reactionary description rather than an actual experience coming from reality.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 06:21 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
Heaven is not necessarily a place you go to regardless of your actions here. So if it exists it should be seen as a goal, gained from a worthy existence, not an excuse for bad bahavior here and now. Now, as a buddhist I have a different concept. One of reincarnation and karma. Karma follows you into the next existence and in fact determines your next existence. With enough bad karma you may return as a lower life form, which is not very enjoyable.

The thing you skipped over is the fact that for ever person who believes in the concept of heaven being true, their description of such a place will vary so much that it points out that the concept itself is nothing but a vague superstition. There will be many who would disagree with your description of heaven in terms of reincarnation or undergoing the effect of your actions.

Enlightenment is not a heaven. The Buddha refers to it as a "blowing out" which is always misinterpreted enlightenment or nirvana with some kind of blissful heaven which it's not. Nirvana is total non existence. But here is the clincher. The Buddha never said that you live multiple lives, this was a concept that got inserted later. The reason he never said such a thing is because it would give rise to an ego identity that is substantial and undergoes a live and death and a rebirth. He pointed out that such an identity does not exist in the first place, but people refuse to accept that and they simply can not cope with that fact. So they invent these other ideas into Buddhism to ease their minds.

There is no rebirth, there is no multiple lives, and there is no reincarnation. Nirvana is extinction of mind, which will happen when you die. When you come to this understanding and face it head on it will liberate you from your self. Which is the whole point of Buddhism. Once you are liberated from yourself and you understand your impermanence you wont go about chasing after fleeting things in this life and creating problems for others. Buddhism isn't some mystical thing, it is just facing reality right here, right now but very few people want to undertake that because they like to live in a fantasy world where they will exist for ever and always be a product of their minds.
dpmartin

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 08:49 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

IRFRANK wrote:

The thing you skipped over is the fact that for ever person who believes in the concept of heaven being true, their description of such a place will vary so much that it points out that the concept itself is nothing but a vague superstition. There will be many who would disagree with your description of heaven in terms of reincarnation or undergoing the effect of your actions.

Enlightenment is not a heaven. The Buddha refers to it as a "blowing out" which is always misinterpreted enlightenment or nirvana with some kind of blissful heaven which it's not. Nirvana is total non existence. But here is the clincher. The Buddha never said that you live multiple lives, this was a concept that got inserted later. The reason he never said such a thing is because it would give rise to an ego identity that is substantial and undergoes a live and death and a rebirth. He pointed out that such an identity does not exist in the first place, but people refuse to accept that and they simply can not cope with that fact. So they invent these other ideas into Buddhism to ease their minds.

There is no rebirth, there is no multiple lives, and there is no reincarnation. Nirvana is extinction of mind, which will happen when you die. When you come to this understanding and face it head on it will liberate you from your self. Which is the whole point of Buddhism. Once you are liberated from yourself and you understand your impermanence you wont go about chasing after fleeting things in this life and creating problems for others. Buddhism isn't some mystical thing, it is just facing reality right here, right now but very few people want to undertake that because they like to live in a fantasy world where they will exist for ever and always be a product of their minds.

Krumple

Though your explanation of Buddha and the Buddhists interpretations of the teachings I would not dispute.

But is the source of life a product of your mind? Or is your mind the product of the source of life? And if there be no heaven then how can the earth be the source of life? For without the instruction of life therein, there is no life in the earth.
Krumple

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 09:02 am
@dpmartin,
Quote:
But is the source of life a product of your mind? Or is your mind the product of the source of life? And if there be no heaven then how can the earth be the source of life? For without the instruction of life therein, there is no life in the earth.

Well it is all determined by your definitions and how firm you want to stick by them. Like I mentioned, the Buddha would not accept the idea of an ego entity existing as an eternal being. However; he did say that we don't exist for ever and we are subject to extinction.

So therefore how can you really qualify or define life? I would say it is just like everything else that springs up out of causes and conditions. When the conditions are right then life will arise, and where those conditions are not right, you won't find life. It is nothing mysterious or magical, it just is another phenomena. It is only us who want to make life into something more than it is because we cherish it and value it so highly that we can't give it up and refuse to accept the fact that one day we will have to give it up.

The fact that the earth supports life is just a current condition, however it won't always be conditional for life. So what is so magical about it? The earth came first, not life, and life doesn't come from some other dimension and exists independent upon the earth. When the earth changes so will life, or else it will cease being life.

Our minds are a byproduct of the function of our brains. It is nothing more substantial than that despite how people desperately need it to be otherwise. Those who come to terms with the reality of their impermanence will become liberated. Those who refuse to can escape anything and are constantly in struggle for peace of mind but they will never find it in fantasies of heaven realms, gods or prayers.
dpmartin

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 07:05 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

The fact that the earth supports life is just a current condition, however it won't always be conditional for life. So what is so magical about it? The earth came first, not life, and life doesn't come from some other dimension and exists independent upon the earth. When the earth changes so will life, or else it will cease being life.

Our minds are a byproduct of the function of our brains. It is nothing more substantial than that despite how people desperately need it to be otherwise. Those who come to terms with the reality of their impermanence will become liberated. Those who refuse to can escape anything and are constantly in struggle for peace of mind but they will never find it in fantasies of heaven realms, gods or prayers.

Krumple
thanks for the reply

Well as I understand what you are saying here is, you see what you get, and you get what you see, no more no less. I can understand that.

Just so it is understood though, because I haven’t posted anything on this thread, as to if there be a heaven or not. I believe there is a Kingdom of Heaven/ Kingdom of God a Living God/Creator and His Son is Jesus Christ. And I contend that there is no religion in the Kingdom of Heaven/ Kingdom of God. (I mention both because some say there is a difference) Just so you know where I would be coming from that’s all.

But what I wanted to ask you is:
Unless you have hit the lotto or inherited wealth, where as you would not need for means, we are all born into need and want. I don’t understand what you are liberated from?
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 09:53 pm
I can't argue with your statements, Krumple. You are correct. I take from your statements about Buddhism, which are insightful, that you don't connect many of religions caveats with it.

"I don’t understand what you are liberated from? "

What you are liberated from is called samsara. The chasing of happiness or fulfillment, which you already have all you are going to get or need.

Quote:

You've made some strong statements there, which are your beliefs. There are several types of Buddhism, each have different answers for the life and death questions.

I don't know if people like living in their fantasy world, they just don't see any alternatives. It is unfortunate.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 09:36 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
When the conditions are right then life will arise

Are you stipulating that life is a self arising phenomena? just for clarification.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 10:25 am
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:
Just so it is understood though, because I haven’t posted anything on this thread, as to if there be a heaven or not. I believe there is a Kingdom of Heaven/ Kingdom of God a Living God/Creator and His Son is Jesus Christ.

Well how is it you come to that conclusion? I mean were you told about it or did you come to the conclusion all on your own without any scripture telling you? How is it you know this?

dpmartin wrote:

Unless you have hit the lotto or inherited wealth, where as you would not need for means, we are all born into need and want. I don’t understand what you are liberated from?

Well the way in which you ask me, reveals that you don't quite understand what I mean by liberated. It isn't something that is won or strive for. It is just a natural result of your change in how you view the self and the world. You can't win liberation or gain it by trying to obtain it, because that is actually what everyone tries to do already and it fails time and time again to come about. The only way it happens is by embracing the fact that you are impermanent and not a substantial entity.

You can't just have a vague notion of what that is, you have to delve deeply into what that means and come out the other side completely detached from any notion of self. Many people are not capable of doing that because the bond towards the self is incredibly strong they can't seem to get lose from it. They morn the loss of their self and turn away from the reality because it is too much for them to accept. This is why they make up the concept of heavens, which is to appeal to the ego and attempt to comfort.

IRFRANK wrote:
You've made some strong statements there, which are your beliefs. There are several types of Buddhism, each have different answers for the life and death questions.

I have studied buddhism very extensively. I've gone to many different cultural temples and seen many different variations in the teachings and ways of teaching. But this only proves my over all point that buddhism has been polluted by every culture that it has made it's way into. So much so that it is difficult sometimes to actually pick out what the original was and what was later added.

Some try to claim that it is obvious which is which but actually it's not so easy. Then others have told me, well even if there are aspects of the teachings that were added and they work just as well as the original teachings, then what's so bad about them? That is my problem, that these additional teachings don't work, they are just another hindrance that was unnecessary and the only reason they are there is to try an appeal to certain groups of people for monetary gain and control.

Smileyrius wrote:
Are you stipulating that life is a self arising phenomena? just for clarification.

Nope, but I am saying that life is the result of several conditions. When those conditions come together then life will naturally result. If those conditions do not come together then life will not arise and you will never find life in those places where those conditions are not present.

I want to finish up this long post with one question. If there is a soul that would carry on after this body ceases to function. What powers that soul? How would it be able to do anything? I mean everything in this universe requires energy to function, how would the soul even function without energy? Does the soul eat? Or does it just magically get energy from some source? If you say that the soul doesn't exist in this universe and that it exists in some other dimension where it does not require energy to function, then how is it you know this? To me it just sounds like you are making up answers to a problem that is not even necessary. To solve your problem of a soul you just add on more baggage and make the whole thing even more complex. How about the simplest and more likely explanation instead? Which is?

There is no soul.
Smileyrius

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 11:26 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
When the conditions are right then life will arise

I wouldnt dispute that you will only find life where it can be sustained.

There is no soul? I disagree, I know of this old lady down my road who is not well, she is a poor old soul. A soul is nothing but a living being, a being with a life force. It is not detachable, nor does it live on after death. The bible itself does not say that God gave adam a soul, it said he breathed life into him and he became a soul. The immortal soul is merely another of the platonic theories that Christians grasped onto because it was cool at the time.

My2pence.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 01:46 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Some try to claim that it is obvious which is which but actually it's not so easy. Then others have told me, well even if there are aspects of the teachings that were added and they work just as well as the original teachings, then what's so bad about them? That is my problem, that these additional teachings don't work, they are just another hindrance that was unnecessary and the only reason they are there is to try an appeal to certain groups of people for monetary gain and control.

Yes, buddhism has the same anomalies as other religions. And yes, often for the wrong reasons. You do understand the basic tenets very well, as least it seems so to me, for what that is worth. The teachings of the Buddha help me understand myself and hopefully give me understanding and insight that make me able to avoid many problems or suffering I might inflict on myself and others. It works for me and helps me deal with my world.
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 07:09 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

dpmartin wrote:
Just so it is understood though, because I haven’t posted anything on this thread, as to if there be a heaven or not. I believe there is a Kingdom of Heaven/ Kingdom of God a Living God/Creator and His Son is Jesus Christ.

Well how is it you come to that conclusion? I mean were you told about it or did you come to the conclusion all on your own without any scripture telling you? How is it you know this?

dpmartin wrote:

Well the way in which you ask me, reveals that you don't quite understand what I mean by liberated. It isn't something that is won or strive for. It is just a natural result of your change in how you view the self and the world. You can't win liberation or gain it by trying to obtain it, because that is actually what everyone tries to do already and it fails time and time again to come about. The only way it happens is by embracing the fact that you are impermanent and not a substantial entity.

You can't just have a vague notion of what that is, you have to delve deeply into what that means and come out the other side completely detached from any notion of self. Many people are not capable of doing that because the bond towards the self is incredibly strong they can't seem to get lose from it. They morn the loss of their self and turn away from the reality because it is too much for them to accept. This is why they make up the concept of heavens, which is to appeal to the ego and attempt to comfort.

Krumple

thanks for the reply

Well, the Truth is that the Word of God is substantiated in the reality of one’s Life lived. Which the scriptures are a documentation of those who have experienced the same.

If some one tells you to do this, and he will do that, and you agree, and it is fulfilled, then the word of he who told you to do this is substantiated in the reality of your life. Hence you learn to trust the word of he who told you to do this. This is what is the experienced by the those who wrote the documentation know as scripture. Affirming to those who experience the same in what ever proportion in their lives it is experienced.

Your point that Salvation, or deliverance from the permanence of death, is ego driven, is something I don’t understand. It would have to be freely given, for as you can see, no man can do it of his own power. Therefore no one can deliver himself from death.

Though I can understand if one sees no trophy or reward, that would be of value, there would be no sense in running a race to win nothing, or something not valued. But I don’t see how eternal life is not valued. If it’s given to you to be, why is that a detriment to well being? Anyone can say anything is a false hope, if their own expectations and desires are not fulfilled. But that does not prove that all hope is without merit.

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 03:54 pm
@dpmartin,
Quote:
Well, the Truth is that the Word of God is substantiated in the reality of one’s Life lived.

How ?

Which the scriptures are a documentation of those who have experienced the same.

The scriptures are simply stories pass down generations. Do they reinforce your beliefs or are your beliefs founded on the scriptures? The same question is posed again, would you come up with the same explanations without the scriptures?

If some one tells you to do this, and he will do that, and you agree, and it is fulfilled, then the word of he who told you to do this is substantiated in the reality of your life. Hence you learn to trust the word of he who told you to do this. This is what is the experienced by the those who wrote the documentation know as scripture. Affirming to those who experience the same in what ever proportion in their lives it is experienced.

You are simply saying you trust those who told the truth before. That does not imply proof or not. It may justify faith, which is fine, but does not provide any proof.

Your point that Salvation, or deliverance from the permanence of death, is ego driven, is something I don’t understand. It would have to be freely given, for as you can see, no man can do it of his own power. Therefore no one can deliver himself from death.

I don't believe anyone said there is deliverance from death. In fact, impermanence must be accepted.

Though I can understand if one sees no trophy or reward, that would be of value, there would be no sense in running a race to win nothing, or something not valued. But I don’t see how eternal life is not valued. If it’s given to you to be, why is that a detriment to well being? Anyone can say anything is a false hope, if their own expectations and desires are not fulfilled. But that does not prove that all hope is without merit.

The constant striving for well being is the distraction from the happiness we already possess. Proving all hope is without merit is the trap of proving a negative. It's like asking one to prove there is no God. It's not possible. The task is to prove there is hope, or a God. Hope is a state of mind in the future. These are not possibly achieved. We only have our current state of mind. Learning to accept our position, our impermanance, and to cherish our current state of being alive as the only possible thing that matters is the point of enlightenment. All else is a distraction.

0 Replies