Non-Christian - not my brother

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 08:36 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Governor Putz. He would have been dressed more appropriately but his sheet was at the cleaners.
What is that supposed to mean? You think he's KKK? I have news for you, the KKK are NOT Christian, they falsely claim to be.
JPB

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 08:41 am
@Arella Mae,
I would have the same concerns with a public official talking about his/her atheism in public as I do with a Christian talking about his Christianity in public. He is now the governor of Alabama and should keep his religion to himself. OTOH, as I said before... if his Christianity is going to influence how he treats and interacts with non-Christians then the electorate has a right to know that.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 08:43 am
@Arella Mae,
i would never expect any politician to consider me at all, unless of course he was campaigning, but the other, roughly, 95% of the time i figure they're out for themselves
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 08:45 am
@Arella Mae,
i wouldn't have associated the christians with the KKK, i would have associated the fact that he's a white male from Alabama Razz
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:14 am
@djjd62,
I know you are joking but either way, Christian or white male....................... Razz
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:19 am
@IRFRANK,
Don't you think you might be overstating his intentions with "go off on a crusade in God's name?"

There are a number of points of view concerning church and state, and then there is the Constitution.

Based on what we have seen over the years, I really think worrying about a Christian theocracy is needless.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:24 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

[quoteFor all we know, his comments and the attending mud slinging of the left will assure him re-election in Alabama.
]

Careful, you're starting to sound like Sarah.
[/quote]

But unlike Rep Steve Cohen (D-TN) I didn't (nor did Palin) compare those who disagree with me to Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.

LINK
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:34 am
What's the problem? He's a Christian, speaking in a Christian church about Christian stuff. It's not as if the guy said that he wouldn't hire any non-Christians for state jobs. Even though he's a state official, he can still make personal affirmations of his own faith in his own way in his own place of worship. When a Catholic office-holder affirms every Sunday that "I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord," is that somehow an affront to Jews and Hindus and atheists?
JPB

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:38 am
@joefromchicago,
Except he wasn't in his own place of worship. He was giving a MLK holiday address (a public celebration of a federal holiday).

Quote:
Bentley made the comment, barely an hour after his inauguration, in the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. preached tolerance.

A longtime deacon at a Tuscaloosa Baptist church, Bentley gave what sounded like an altar call in a short speech at the Dexter church that also invoked King's message about loving, caring and accepting one another as human beings.
djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:38 am
@joefromchicago,
no, the fact that someone is an office holder should be the affront, not their religion
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:41 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Except he wasn't in his own place of worship. He was giving a MLK holiday address (a public celebration of a federal holiday).

So what? He was in a place of worship, he's a deacon speaking from a church pulpit -- what did you expect him to talk about? Property taxes?
JPB

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:53 am
@joefromchicago,
I'd expect him to talk about MLK's inclusiveness, which he apparently did as well.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:39 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

JPB wrote:

Except he wasn't in his own place of worship.
He was giving a MLK holiday address (a public celebration of a federal holiday).

So what? He was in a place of worship, he's a deacon speaking from a church pulpit -- what did you expect him to talk about? Property taxes?
Good point.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:56 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
When a Catholic office-holder affirms every Sunday that "I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord," is that somehow an affront to Jews and Hindus and atheists?

An affirmation of faith is different from telling people who do not confess one's religion that one wants them to convert.

Quote:
Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother.

That is an affront to Jews and Hindus and atheists and others of his constituency who don't, and don't care to, profess his religion. He is proselytizing.

I don't think a governor should be proselytizing.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:17 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Even though he's a state official, he can still make personal affirmations of his own faith in his own way in his own place of worship.

hopefully he'll remember to keep it personal and not public next time round
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:24 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
An affirmation of faith is different from telling people who do not confess one's religion that one wants them to convert.

Well, first of all, I don't think the governor said anything about converting anybody. But even if he did, why can't that be an affirmation of faith? Some religions view proselytizing to be an affirmative duty.

InfraBlue wrote:
That is an affront to Jews and Hindus and atheists and others of his constituency who don't, and don't care to, profess his religion. He is proselytizing.

Again, so what? Is a governor not permitted to express his religious beliefs if he belongs to a proselytizing kind of religion? Is he only permitted to say nice things about people who aren't members of his religion, even if his religion holds that non-members are damned to perdition?

InfraBlue wrote:

Why not?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:25 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
hopefully he'll remember to keep it personal and not public next time round

Why should that matter? If he is sincere in his beliefs, why shouldn't he be expressing them in public?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:25 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

well, it does make a change from the prostituting they usually do
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:33 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
If someone is a Christian then they consider others above themselves, ALL others.

As in all human endeavor, there is a world of difference between theory and practice. That is why people who are not christians become apprehensive--it's not just atheists, you know. He has inferentially excluded Muslims and Jews, as well as Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, etc. The experience of christian activism in the United States is not one which would give anyone confidence in such a proposition as yours.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:40 am
@Setanta,
I agree there is a great deal of difference in talking the talk and walking the walk. You are right. I should say non-christians instead of atheists. Thanx for pointing that out.
0 Replies