Non-Christian - not my brother

wayne

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:06 pm
From what I understand, he was speaking to a church at the time.
Sounds like he definitely let them know where his allegiance lies.
djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:07 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

From what I understand, he was speaking to a church at the time.
Sounds like he definitely let them know where his allegiance lies.

it'll be interesting to see what he says when he addresses a klan rally
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:10 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Why is that asshole Hume even let on TV?

I don't know. He was on the morning show the other day with George S, and he was depressing. Very nasty and negative. He needs to find something else to do. Self righteousness is not a virture.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:13 pm
@djjd62,
[quoteit'll be interesting to see what he says when he addresses a klan rally ][/quote]

You won't know if he has his sheet on.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:15 pm
@IRFRANK,
I agree with your assessment, IRFRABNK. Who the hell is this guy to use his public position to speak about his or anyone's beliefs (or lack thereof) or religion. Why make a single comment? It's wholly (not holy) inappropriate. This is why it's written into our Constitution the tenet of separation of Church and State. Whether or not it was part of official Governor's role, he IS the Governor and he has to know he can be quoted and how it appears to others.

Oh, what a relief :
Quote:
"After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone."
I feel so relieved knowing his intent was not to hurt others. Sheesh! Some office-holders wait some sort of period of time to prove how unworthy they are of being elected to the office. Right out of the box he has eliminated any doubt about his unworthiness of the position.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:46 pm
Quote:
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley this afternoon apologized to anyone he may have offended with his inaugural day comments that non-Christians were not his brothers and sisters.

Bentley met for an hour with members of Alabama's Jewish community and afterward told reporters he meant no insult with his words.

"What I would like to do is apologize. Should anyone who heard those words and felt disenfranchised, I want to say, 'I'm sorry.' If you're not a person who can say you are sorry, you're not a very good leader," Bentley said.

Bentley made his controversial comments after his inauguration Monday when he spoke at the Montgomery Baptist Church where Martin Luther King was once pastor. More
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:50 pm
EDITORIAL: Gov. Bentley learns a hard lesson on choice of words

Quote:
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. _ Gov. Robert Bentley got a baptism-by-fire indoctrination into his new job Monday over a remark that may have offended non-Christians and many others.

May it be a valuable lesson in his new "life in a fishbowl" role as governor. Many previous Alabama governors have stuck their feet in their mouths, too, so he certainly is not alone.

Bentley made the comment, barely an hour after his inauguration, in the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. preached tolerance.

A longtime deacon at a Tuscaloosa Baptist church, Bentley gave what sounded like an altar call in a short speech at the Dexter church that also invoked King's message about loving, caring and accepting one another as human beings.

Said Bentley, "So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," he said. Bentley professed his own Christian salvation, noting all who also believe have the Holy Spirit living within and are therefore his "brother and sister" in faith.

The comments spread quickly in the traditional news and social media, stirring throngs of divided reaction. Bentley said later he wasn't trying to insult people of other religions. "He is the governor of all the people, Christians and non-Christians alike," said his communications director, Rebekah Caldwell Mason.

Who among us hasn't made a comment we wish had rephrased or didn't say?

But Bentley is governor - of "all the people," as he pledged in his inaugural speech. He is not Christian-in-chief.

He simply should not say things that come off as divisive and exclusive, especially on such sensitive subjects as religion. More

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:55 pm
@IRFRANK,
It seems like people are looking for reasons to be insulted or offended.

What's the big deal?

If, in the execution of his duties, he is found to favor Christians over non-Christians he'll pay one or more of a number of prices.

I think it's safe to assume that after these comments he will be closely watched by a number of different parties.
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The mistake he made was not making a total retraction. It appears that he meant what he said and said what he meant. Wonder what would have happened were he the President?

Elected politicians should not be making such statements - period!

Well, if it's not a big deal, then why do you think he will be followed by a number of parties?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:33 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

The mistake he made was not making a total retraction. It appears that he meant what he said and said what he meant. Wonder what would have happened were he the President?

Well, if it's not a big deal, then why do you think he will he be followed by a number of parties?

Good grief!

Do you believe the ACLU gives a damn about what I think is a big deal?

They and all sort of other idiots make big deals out of nothing all the time.
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Guess that's what the price of having free speech in our society. He has the freedom to make a fool out of himself and disaffect much of the electorate right out of the box.
djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:36 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Elected politicians should not be making such statements - period!

Well, if it's not a big deal, then why do you think he will be followed by a number of parties?

i can see a new kids book ala Dr. Seuss

Bentley Shuns A Jew

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant
I stand by those Christians 100%"

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:40 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Guess that's what the price of having free speech in our society. He has the freedom to make a fool out of himself and disaffect much of the electorate right out of the box.

You think it amounts to a "price" but many others do not.

For all we know, his comments and the attending mud slinging of the left will assure him re-election in Alabama.

But of course I realize that you already consider just about the entire population of Alabama to be mentally or morally defective.
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I do? Wow, you got all of that from what I said? You should take up being a psychic.

You're abolutely right! The alabma electorate is very wise electing him. As long as he is Governor of Alablama it keeps him out of the Federal government. Gawd know we got enough genius there.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:23 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
Anybody here today who has accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother

yeah, i'm sure that would fly high. anyway, I agree with IRFRANK.
I do not feel disrespected if someone is a Christian, an atheist, a Buddhist, or whatever. I agree he never should have made that statement but I don't think he meant disrespect but like IRFRANK said, we'll have to wait and see.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
This has got to be an Olympic/world's record for back pedaling?

Which have you chosen to make your "argument" this time, Finn, duplicity or fatuousness? Maybe just outright bluster. That's a favorite choice of yours when someone points up your inanity.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:45 pm
The statement about who can be a "brother" is fine, in my opinion. If his beliefs excludes non-Christians from being a "brother," why care? A biological brother reflects being a blood relation, or at least reflecting a step-sibling. So, if a biological brother has obvious criteria, why should a spiritual brother not have criteria? I could care less who feels close to me. I do not find it offensive if someone says I cannot be their "brother." In fact, if one tells me I am his/her brother, and the criteria includes being a Christian, I am suspicious of the individual wanting to convert me!

wayne

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:56 pm
@Foofie,
I think you are being too literal in your interpretation of the term brother.
In the context used the meaning is more along the lines of brother in arms, I think. It serves to separate humankind according to religious belief.
It makes it easier to justify leaving you out in the cold when things get tough.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:07 pm
@wayne,
It means brother in Christ, a fellow believer.
wayne

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:13 pm
@Arella Mae,
Yes, I know. But the implication is to separate as a sub-group.
What was wrong with the brotherhood of man?
Every conflict in history can be attributed to sub-grouping.