Non-Christian - not my brother

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:48 pm
Wikiquotes has the following:

Quote:
No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.… I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.
o Attributed by Robert I. Sherman, reporting in American Atheist about a public press conference Bush held at O'Hare Airport on 27 August 1987.[1] No other journalist confirmed that Bush made the remark.

I have left the foot note in that quote, which leads to this page.
JPB

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:53 pm
@Setanta,
I just read the 40 page update (pdf) available through that site. Yep, he said it, alright. And the non-denials and White House chatter about "strain[ing] to achieve a polite tone... without giving the correspondent unnecessary comfort" was quite... er, surprising. The admission that it's indefensible and the unwillingness to comply to the demand for an apology being best handled by not responding is exactly what they did. I loved the "your comments have duly noted and will be given appropriate consideration" response.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:34 pm
It does not take a rocket scientist to know that the net effect of religion is not to bring people together, but instead to fester intolerance.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
It's the combination of both that causes the problem. I care about the separation of church and state. Bentley corroded it by mixing his exclusionary sectarian affirmations into the state and federal celebrations he took part in as governor. As I already told you, I wouldn't care if he had said the same things in his own church, outside the context of those state and federal festivities.

I rather like Setanta's approach to this issue. To you and to anyone who is offended by Bentley's remarks or who thinks that he marginalized non-Christians or suggested that they were inferior, I say: what a rare and delicate flower you are if you consider yourself insulted when told you aren't Gov. Bentley's brother.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:12 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
However, i did out of curiosity on this occasion.

Sure, Set, tell us another one.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:33 pm
@JPB,
I'm not completely sure myself, JPB. [a person should know better than to trust a guy named "Failures Art" Wink ]

Quote:
Documents at Bush Library prove that
conversation between Sherman and Bush took place

An exchange of letters that took place in 1989 between the late Jon Garth Murray, then President of American Atheists, and White House Counsel C. Boyden Gray, prove that the conversation between Vice President Bush took place, exactly as I reported it. Those two letters are on file at the Bush Presidential Library in Texas. The letter from Mr. Murray to Mr. Gray is expected to be available later this year as a part of a file called Item # CF 01193-002, but a related letter by Mr. Murray to the Members of Congress, which referenced Mr. Murray's letter to Mr. Gray, is available for public view. The reply letter from Mr. Gray to Mr. Murray is also available for public view.

The letter from Mr. Murray to the Members of Congress is from a file identified as White House Office of Records Management, Subject Code RM, Document Number 157715 CU. This document is a letter that Jon Murray sent to every Member of Congress on February 21, 1990. In this letter, Mr. Murray describes the news conference that I attended, quotes exactly the conversation between Mr. Bush and myself, and then states:

Subsequent to these astonishing statements, I wrote to (then) Vice President Bush demanding a clarification of these remarks. More than two months later, on February 21, 1989, C. Boyden Gray, Counsel to the President, wrote to me from the White House as follows:

Your letter of December 19, 1988, to President Bush has been referred to me for reply. As you are aware, the President is a religious man who neither supports atheism nor believes that atheism should be unnecessarily encouraged or supported by the government. Needless to say, the President supports the Constitution and laws of the United States, and you may rest assured that this Administration will proceed at all times with due regard for the legal rights of atheists, as will as others with whom the President disagrees.

This letter was a clear admission by the President, through his counsel, that he had indeed made the remarks and was not backing down from them.

Mr. Murray's letter to the Members of Congress went on to say that Mr. Bush must issue "an apology and retraction of the remarks or alternately the Congress of the United States must pass a resolution censuring President Bush for the remarks."

The letter from Mr. Gray to Mr. Murray, which was quoted above, is located in a file identified as White House Office of Records Management, Subject Code RM, Document Number 041388 CU.

The significance of Mr. Gray's letter is that it corroborates my conversation with Mr. Bush. Mr. Gray is a lawyer. If his client, Mr. Bush, had not made those statements to me, Mr. Gray would have denied that they were said rather than trying to justify the statements. If Mr. Bush wanted to distance himself from the statements, Mr. Gray could have tried to create doubt about whether Mr. Bush had made the statements. Here, Mr. Gray makes it clear that Mr. Bush acknowledges making the statements reported above.

Updated January 17, 2007: Click here to view a 40-page PDF file of all of the relevant documents from the Bush Presidential Library.

You can get your own copy of the two letters described above by contacting the Archive Department at the Bush Presidential Library. They will mail or fax them to you. You'll need to file a Freedom of Information Act request, but that can be done very easily and quickly by e-mail to [email protected] . In the subject line, say: FOIA Request. In the body of the letter, say: Under the Freedom of Information Act, I request to view White House Office of Records Management, Subject Code RM, Document Numbers 041388 CU and 157715 CU. Include your full name, street address, phone number and whether you want the documents mailed or faxed to you. For a fax, include your fax number and state whether you have a dedicated fax line or if you use your voice line to receive faxes. They'll take care of you within a day or two. They're very fast, professional and courteous.

http://www.robsherman.com/advocacy/060401a.htm
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
It was simply an excellent example of what you said, Arella Mae. Isn't HW Bush an "anyone"? Comment on it if you like, if not, that's fine, too.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:12 am
@JTT,
Yep, he definitely is an anyone.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:00 am
@JTT,
Oh, there's little (no) question that he said it. I'd posted my take on those docs above. Non-denial, non-denials. They didn't even give non-denial denials!

I don't think that would/could be swept under the rug today with the 24 hour news media culture that we now have. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the one guy representing American Atheists would have been left talking to his zipper today.

The statement does bother me. It's the first I'd heard of it.
Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:04 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I don't think that would/could be swept under the rug today with the 24 hour news media culture that we now have. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the one guy representing American Atheists would have been left talking to his zipper today.

The statement does bother me. It's the first I'd heard of it.

The statement very likely would get more play than it did more than 20 years ago, but i doubt that it would be that big a deal. Certainly, such a statement from a prominent politico today, if made about just about any religion, except perhaps for Vodoun or Santaria, would raise a storm. I suspect that even these days, although it might be repeated far more than Pappy Bush's was, any such remarks about atheists wouldn't stir up much indignation.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:06 am
@Setanta,
we got no god crazy followers to be feared. that's the problem...
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:40 am
@IRFRANK,
To me his statement is really not all that remarkable. Many christians have a superiority complex and think highly of their religious beliefs as if everyone else is second class to them. It's the...

"You are not part of the group unless you are in my group."

mentality.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:45 am
@Krumple,
Now I see why you made the comment you did to crazielady in the other thread. It's just sad.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:08 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I'm not completely sure myself, JPB. [a person should know better than to trust a guy named "Failures Art" Wink ]

Question Question Question

A
R
T
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:14 pm
@Krumple,
If you want to talk about what we were talking about in crazielady's thread then please do it here. I am not going to upset her anymore than I probably already have by confronting you.
Krumple

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:21 pm
@Arella Mae,
But that topic is irrelevant here.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:28 pm
@Krumple,
How is irrelevant? We are talking about what someone said offending others aren't we? In your last post over there you said something about "if we support them in their delusions". If I misquoted I apologize.

My point is this. Some, not all, nonbelievers think it is perfectly okay to tell believers they are delusional, they shouldn't believe in God, in prayer, etc., but they don't like it if a believer says a simple comment like Bentley did. I find it very hypocritical.

My point in the other thread was, while it's your right to believe the way you do, do you really think it was appropriate to say that to a woman who is in emotional pain? Are your beliefs so superior (to borrow your word) to hers that you could not just leave your comments off where you sympathized with her? First you seem to sympathize but then go on to tell her prayer won't do a thing.

No matter what any of our beliefs are, there are times when some things are better left unsaid. She specifically asked for prayers and I do not understand why you felt the necessity to say what you did. How was that going to help her in her pain?

And BTW who said you get to decide who is delusional and who is not?
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:34 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
No matter what any of our beliefs are, there are times when some things are better left unsaid. She specifically asked for prayers and I do not understand why you felt the necessity to say what you did. How was that going to help her in her pain?

I agree with you, Arella Mae. Sometimes less is more. There are times when one needs to make a point, and there are others where it is better to shut up.

When I was going through a tough medical problem, some people said that they would pray for me. As you know, I don't believe in prayer. But my stock answer to those kindly folks who wanted to help was, "All good wishes gratefully accepted".
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:45 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

To me his statement is really not all that remarkable. Many christians have a superiority complex and think highly of their religious beliefs as if everyone else is second class to them. It's the...

"You are not part of the group unless you are in my group."

mentality.

Some do but so do some:

Atheists
Libertarians
Union Members
Librarians
Tatoo Artists
Conservatives
Liberals
Bowlers

What's your point?

0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:52 pm
@Arella Mae,
"How is irrelevant? We are talking about what someone said offending others aren't we?"

I'm not offended by his statement, I have heard it dozens of times in lots of different ways. My point was that his perspective is that everyone who is not christian is outside his consideration. He is more than right to hold such a thought but the funny thing is his own theology frowns against such a frame of mind. Yet there are no shortage of Christians who hold such a view point. The funny thing is, there are far more non-christians who would never hold such a view point.

"In your last post over there you said something about "if we support them in their delusions". If I misquoted I apologize. ""

Well telling someone you are praying for them is bolstering delusional ways of thinking. How is that helpful? It's not, it is from my perspective lying to them. You are supporting a false way of thinking.

"My point is this. Some, not all, nonbelievers think it is perfectly okay to tell believers they are delusional, they shouldn't believe in God, in prayer, etc., but they don't like it if a believer says a simple comment like Bentley did. I find it very hypocritical."

He is perfectly right to say what he wants. I was pointing out the hypocrisy in his own statement which contradicts his own theology. How is that me being the hypocrite?

"My point in the other thread was, while it's your right to believe the way you do, do you really think it was appropriate to say that to a woman who is in emotional pain?"

Well she is on a public forum and was requesting sympathetic help however all the help I saw was pretty much people lying to her and supporting delusional points of view. How is that helping her? It is supporting a poor way of thinking. That she is going to some how find solace in people supporting her by lying to her? Is that really what she needs? So you support lying to someone if it makes them feel better?

"Are your beliefs so superior (to borrow your word) to hers that you could not just leave your comments off where you sympathized with her?"

I do sympathize for her situation but I also know that supporting an idea of praying for her comfort is dishonest.

"First you seem to sympathize but then go on to tell her prayer won't do a thing."

The honesty is that prayer will in fact do nothing. That is the truth. There has never been a verifiable case where prayer did anything different than non-prayer. So why support an idea that is clearly false? Those people who support her way of thinking are not helping her at all, but instead they are encouraging delusional behavior. Makes her dependent upon such ways of thinking.

Something similar to this is you assuming that she wouldn't see this thread or be reading this post simply because you brought it over here instead of keeping it in her thread where it is all relevant.

"No matter what any of our beliefs are, there are times when some things are better left unsaid."

You believe such a thing, but I don't. In fact I think that is the problem with our society. We remain silent and allow delusions to continue instead of speaking up when we should have been setting the truth out there. The truth is not always pretty, and many people simply can not accept it when they are faced with it because we are taught by everyone to turn away when we are faced with it.

"She specifically asked for prayers and I do not understand why you felt the necessity to say what you did. How was that going to help her in her pain?"

Because the reality is, the prayers will not help her at all and I was trying to give her a glimpse in self empowerment that she is capable of solving her own pain rationally rather than seeking delusional solutions.

"And BTW who said you get to decide who is delusional and who is not?"

When something is not supported by verifiable facts then it is delusional to hold a belief. Prayer has never proven itself so it is a delusional belief to believe that it can have an effect.

Besides that, isn't it silly to assume that petitioning a god for a solution is even necessary to begin with? Because that is basically what you are doing when you are praying. You are petitioning for a solution that YOU want. If that is the case and if such a deity were to actually acknowledge your petition and make the case suit your request isn't that silly that that deity wouldn't have never caused the situation in the beginning?

Make someone suffer so that others will pray for them, is rather a sadistic deity if such one were to actually exist. However since there really is no such deity it is life and this existence itself that is uncertain and chaotic where such delusions flourish because people simply can not cope with reality.

However we are not beyond being able to cope, however the tools needed for such a coping ability are not got through religious teachings, in fact just the opposite is provided which is to say, none. This is why she relies on others to pray for her plight instead of managing her own stress herself. It is why the world is still so messed up because there are still so many people who rely on these delusions to feel better about themselves or their lives. The theology pollutes their minds and makes them weak to solve their own problems.