Gun Control: Bill to Ban Clips Over 10 Rounds

oralloy

Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:07 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Quote:
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., and Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., plan to introduce legislation to limit high-capacity clips that allow shooters to fire a large number of rounds without reloading.

"But for the average citizen, I do not believe they should be able to have large-capacity clips,” McCarthy added.

Screw her and Lautenberg.

I find it noteworthy that mainstream gun control advocates always want to make an exception for the police.

I'm curious if the police have any use for high-capacity magazines that would not also apply to a civilian defending themselves.

Why exempt the police?
Cycloptichorn

Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:14 pm
@oralloy,
Because of SWAT teams. No politician is seriously standing up to the increasing militarization of our police force.

Cycloptichorn
dlowan

Tue 11 Jan, 2011 11:53 pm
@oralloy,
About ******* time.
0 Replies

Oylok

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Setanta wrote:

If he had only had a ten-round clip, it's likely he would never have done so much damage.
U 'd have been HAPPIER if he'd just made a bomb ?
Like Tim McV. ???

Based on what I've heard about this guy, I don't think he was capable of contructing a bomb. Building and using those things takes a sort of evil genius, which Loughner did not possess. It doesn't take much in the way of intelligence to shoot at people.

Glad to hear about this bill; hope it passes.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:37 am
@Oylok,
As children, we made many a bom
in our backyards, many decades ago.
Thay exploded, but we were not all a naborhood full of chemical geniuses.

I believe that we can probably stop the bill.
Let it die of forgotteness in committee.
Then we will remember, and vote against
the congressmen who supported it in November.
Supporters of gun control effectively put targets on themselves for the voters.

We keep records.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:04 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
What's next? Will we all be eating with plastic knives? Sounds silly, but the concept is the same.

Not as silly as you would think as there is now a drive in the UK to ban the sale of large kitchen knives!!!!!!!
OmSigDAVID

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:11 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
What's next? Will we all be eating with plastic knives?
Sounds silly, but the concept is the same.
BillRM wrote:
Not as silly as you would think as there is now a drive in the UK to ban
the sell of large kitchen kinives!!!!!!!
Yeah; I 've heard of that.
England is an authoritarian society.
It used to take pride in its (relative) liberty.

If I were an Englishman (as was my grandfather)
I 'd lust for American liberty,
regardless of (unarmed) Congressmen getting shot.

David
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:13 am
Bottom line.

There isn't a chance in hell that this congress will pass any form of anti-gun owner/gun-control legislation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:21 am
@Oylok,
You should ignore posts such as that from David. When it comes to firearms, he completely lacks a sense of proportion. There is no reason at all to assume that the boy would have built a bomb if he could not have gotten a 30-round clip. David is just trying to raise the discussion to the level of hysteria, which is the level from which he reacts to gun-related discussions.
Phoenix32890

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:25 am
@BillRM,
And then will the government ban the sale of leg of lamb? I understand that it makes a dandy weapon..........and so easy to get rid of the evidence. (For those if you who don't understand the reference, let me know, and I will explain it to you!)
revelette

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:29 am
@Phoenix32890,
Odis (spell?) on Andy Griffin.

I seriously doubt Odis would be able to kill several people and injure countless others with a leg of lamb in the same amount of time as these weapons we have now a days. Or even a kitchen knife. I have to admit the last one is going a bit over board.
H2O MAN

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:58 am
The big picture
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3904501891_ce90b1da99_b.jpg

Giffords com block 7.62x39 is bigger than Palin's All American 5.56x45
OmSigDAVID

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
And then will the government ban the sale of leg of lamb? I understand that it makes a dandy weapon..........and so easy to get rid of the evidence. (For those if you who don't understand the reference, let me know, and I will explain it to you!)
Yes; Al Hitchcock.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:20 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Odis (spell?) on Andy Griffin.

I seriously doubt Odis would be able to kill several people and injure countless others with a leg of lamb in the same amount of time as these weapons we have now a days. Or even a kitchen knife. I have to admit the last one is going a bit over board.
If he had used a kitchen knife on her,
I don 't believe that we 'd have the Congresswoman any more.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:21 am
@H2O MAN,
That 's a beautiful picture; thank u Waterman.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:24 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You should ignore posts such as that from David. When it comes to firearms, he completely lacks a sense of proportion. There is no reason at all to assume that the boy would have built a bomb if he could not have gotten a 30-round clip. David is just trying to raise the discussion to the level of hysteria, which is the level from which he reacts to gun-related discussions.
That has nothing to do with hysteria, Setanta. I 'm about ready to fall asleep at the computer.

I re-iterate:
its faster and easier to make boms than guns.
In my childhood, we made a lot of both.
Some gunsmiths were better than others.

David
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:32 am
A small detail that most would overlook... Gifford is holding a real deal, select fire AK-47.
The rifle pictured is built on a milled receiver designed for machine gun use...

Let me put that another way.

The lady is holding a real deal, fully automatic assault rifle that fires 600 rounds per minute.
Squeeze and hold the trigger down and it will empty what ever mag or drum you have in it very quickly.
AK-47 drums can have a capacity of 100 rounds per drum. She is holding a real assault weapon.

More...

The AK-47 symbolizes many things in many parts of the world.
Example: Flag of Mozambique

We in the states are restricted to the semi-automatic only version of the AK-47, these are called AKMs.
For the most part, Americans own AKMs to familiarize themselves with our enemies weapon of choice.

My AKM was made in China, built on a stamped receiver and it fires a single round each and
every time the trigger is pulled no mater how long you squeeze and hold down the trigger.
1 pull = 1 shot.

OmSigDAVID

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:49 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
A small detail that most would overlook... Gifford is holding a real deal, select fire AK-47.
The rifle pictured is built on a milled receiver designed for machine gun use...

Let me put that another way.

The lady is holding a real deal, fully automatic assault rifle that fires 600 rounds per minute.
Squeeze and hold the trigger down and it will empty what ever mag or drum you have in it very quickly.
AK-47 drums can have a capacity of 100 rounds per drum. She is holding a real assault weapon.

More...

The AK-47 symbolizes many things in many parts of the world.
Example: Flag of Mozambique

We in the states are restricted to the semi-automatic only version of the AK-47, these are called AKMs.
For the most part, Americans own AKMs to familiarize themselves with our enemies weapon of choice.

My AKM was made in China, built on a stamped receiver and it fires a single round each and
every time the trigger is pulled no mater how long you squeeze and hold down the trigger.
1 pull = 1 shot.

I wish that she had that on Saturday morning; give him a one-gun salute.

David
joefromchicago

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:12 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I find it noteworthy that mainstream gun control advocates always want to make an exception for the police.

I'm curious if the police have any use for high-capacity magazines that would not also apply to a civilian defending themselves.

Why exempt the police?

For the same reason we let them run red lights.
BillRM

Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
wish that she had that on Saturday morning; give him a one-gun salute.

If someone just walked up to you and fire a round into your brain it does not matter if you are arm with a nuclear weapon as far as the outcome in concern.