The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 08:35 pm
What's happening?

Quote:
Republican Candidates Turn Attacks on One Another

By JEFF ZELENY
Published: September 3, 2011

INDIANOLA, Iowa — Gov. Rick Perry is privately being coached to come across as more presidential — cautious in his comments, deliberate in defending his Texas record — while building on his fast start by trying to consolidate support across the Republican spectrum, from the Tea Party and evangelicals to the party establishment.

Former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts is steeling for a long and combative fight for the Republican nomination, dropping his front-runner’s strategy and preparing to confront Mr. Perry on immigration, his quarter-century in government and his claims of creating jobs in Texas.

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I would rather see Donald Trump in the White House.

As I've many times noted, you Repubs seem to relish the thought of a dumb as a sack of hoe handles president. Why would that be, Finn?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think Romney thought the nomination was his so long as he stayed out of the fray and let the others self destruct. It may still turn out to be true, but current polling says he needs to get his ass in gear and start campaigning for the nomination and leave the Obama fight for the general election campaign.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 11:58 am
@JPB,
6 Republicans will debate in South Carolina hosted by Sen Jim DeMint. Perry dropped of tonight's debate at the last minute to return to Texas to monitor the situation regarding the drought and now the numerous wildfires.
His absence will deprive Romney of a face to face opportunity to slow down Perry. Perry, I understand, is not known to be a very good debater.
JPB

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 12:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
I wonder if Michele Bachman will try to point to liberal-leaning Austin as vindication of God's rath on America.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:26 am
Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. — Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann lost her campaign chief Monday, along with his close deputy, in a campaign shake-up that the Minnesota congresswoman's aides sought to downplay. More
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:35 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

6 Republicans will debate in South Carolina hosted by Sen Jim DeMint. Perry dropped of tonight's debate at the last minute to return to Texas to monitor the situation regarding the drought and now the numerous wildfires.
His absence will deprive Romney of a face to face opportunity to slow down Perry. Perry, I understand, is not known to be a very good debater.

You seem to be suggesting that Perry's return to Texas was a ploy to avoid the SC debate.
revelette

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:54 am
With Texas fires and more than 1000 homes destroyed, I think it would have been disastrous for Rick Perry to have shown up at the debate. Not sure how he will show up for the debate tomorrow.
JTT

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:54 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Perry dropped of tonight's debate at the last minute to return to Texas to monitor the situation regarding the drought and now the numerous wildfires.

Atta boy, Brownie. Great work, Brownie!

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:56 am
@revelette,
How did Obama's minions find the time to start the fire?

Wink
JTT

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 09:01 am
@H2O MAN,
Your ignorance and down home stupidity just keep leaping up and biting you in the ass, h2oman.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 09:09 am
@JTT,

JTT, I'll never let you get that close to my ass.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 10:15 am
@revelette,
Agreed, but can you imagine the reaction to his missing tomorrow's debate?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 10:24 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Perry dropped of tonight's debate at the last minute to return to Texas to monitor the situation regarding the drought and now the numerous wildfires.

I could understand it if he was going to be flying a water bomber or something, but he can't debate because he's a fire monitor. seriously? to monitor the situation?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 12:08 pm
@revelette,
See?

ehBeth wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

I could understand it if he was going to be flying a water bomber or something, but he can't debate because he's a fire monitor. seriously? to monitor the situation?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 04:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't fault Perry for skipping the SC thing last night or the CA thing tomorrow (which I suspect). There is nothing he personally can do, of course, but we still do expect our leaders to be at the helm, don't we?
The Texas fires are horrific.
Romney came out with his jobs plan today, joining a few of his Repub rivals and countering Obama's ideas. Supposedly there were 59 items on his list.
He claims - with incredible preciseness - that if his plan is adopted, 11.5M jobs would be created; unemployment would be 5.8% and GDP would be growing by the end of his 1st term.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 04:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Romney came out with his jobs plan today, joining a few of his Repub rivals and countering Obama's ideas.

Obama has ideas, when did this happen and what are they?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 04:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I don't fault Perry for skipping the SC thing last night or the CA thing tomorrow (which I suspect). There is nothing he personally can do, of course, but we still do expect our leaders to be at the helm, don't we?

Perry doesn't want to look like the leaders that left New Orleans before Katrina hit.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 06:16 pm
I wonder why God hasn't told Perry the message God is trying to send with the fires.

Maybe God has really chosen Bachmann since he talks to her.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 06:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
And yet you have found the precission of Obama's economic claims credible?

The Texas wild fires are truly horrific, and I wondered how the national media was reporting on them (on-line):

MSNBC: Couldn't resist describing Perry as a Tea Party favorite and suggesting that his call for federal assistance renders his small government position hypocritical.

CNN: Just the facts, good on them.

NY Times: Not a featured story, and behind the actual facts (1000 homes not 500 have been destroyed), but no overt political bias...just a New York Lib's reluctance to feel too sorry for Texans.

The Boston Globe: See MSNBC above

LA Times: Small secondary article but no political angle

CBS: Secondary story; no political angle

ABC: Featured story, but with the MSNBC political angle

NBC: Doesn't show up until page 3 after such important news stories as:

What's The Best Fast Food Burger?

'Man-fessions' - Men Who Use Women's Products

Will Eddie Murphy Host The Oscars

Is NTC Really The City That Never Sleeps

A delicious duo: The difference between tostas and tapas

But...no political angle.