The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And yet you have found the precision of Obama's economic claims credible?

No, not really. Christina Romer, when she left the administration a year ago, noted that she regretted claiming that the Obama economic stimulus program of 2009 would reduce unemployment to 8%.
She was foolish - by her own admission - in considering all of the balls in the air. Nationally as well as internationally. Romney is equally - if not more so - foolish with his seemingly precise promises.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
The shame of it all is the simple fact that not many people know what is fiction and what are truths.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
Chritine Romer felt compelled to make up **** about the Stimulus because she fought in The King's army. Her claims were far worse than foolish.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The shame of it all is the simple fact that not many people know what is fiction and what are truths.

Thank the Lord we have you CI who knows The Truth and never tires of pronouncing it!
JTT

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Yippee! CI nails it! He is back on board.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

NY Times: Not a featured story, and behind the actual facts (1000 homes not 500 have been destroyed),

Where do you get the 1000 number from?

This is what the NYT says:

First:

Quote:
The couple had fled the most destructive wildfire in the history of Texas, a vast blaze that has damaged or destroyed 550 homes in Bastrop County in Central Texas and killed two people since it began Sunday, one of a series of wildfires that have broken out around the state in recent days.

Then later:

Quote:
Since November 2010, firefighters have responded to nearly 21,000 fires that have destroyed more than 1,000 homes, ravaged more than 3.6 million acres, an area roughly the size of Connecticut.

That seems to line up with what Perry said:

Quote:
“These fires are serious and widespread, and as mean as I have ever seen, burning more than 1,000 homes since this wildfire season began,

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:20 pm
@sozobe,
Read the reports from the other sources.
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, which other sources?

I looked around (Reuters, CNN, etc.) and when I saw numbers there was a lot of 1,000 in general, but either the timescale was specifically "this season" or it didn't specify. Haven't seen anything contradicting the NYT numbers for that specific fire.

That's why I asked you for a link.

Note, I don't think the NYT is infallible, and if it's wrong, it's wrong. I thought it was an interesting misreading though. (Since they do say 1000 later on, I think in the same context that you are saying 1000.)
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Making future economic predictions and getting them wrong are one thing, but if you want to talk about making stuff up.

Romney's jobs chart credited the years 2007-2009 to Obama's jobs recovery when Obama did not take office until January 2009.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/romney-chart1.jpg

page 16
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:25 pm
@revelette,
That's just too funny! Romney wants to be our president? He's too dumb if he can't remember when Obama took office. I bet most 10 year olds know better. LOL

Instead of "Obama's Recovery" on that chart, it should read "GW Bush's Job Creation From His Tax Cuts"
JTT

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You seem to be making being caught out a regular feature of your posts, Finn.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:43 pm
@revelette,
I think I see what the chart is attempting to - rather poorly - reflect.
In words: "In the recession* of 2007-2009 the economy lost 8.9M jobs.
In the 24 months after that the 'recovery' created negative .06M jobs."
The suggestion is to compare that to, say, the recession of 1981-1982 when 3.1M jobs were lost. That was followed, in the next 24 months (1983-1984), by a period when 7.0M jobs were created.
I may be wrong, but that is the way I read it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:46 pm
@revelette,
It does seem like a stupid mistake.

You realize, I hope, that I have never argued that Romney is infallible or the best person in the nation to become our next president.

I would suggest however that candidates for office have less of an obligation to be straight with the American people than do government officials. The worst that can result from the former's mendacity is that they will be elected whereas...
JTT

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The worst that can result from the former's mendacity is that they will be elected

Millions in SE Asia, in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Nicaragua, in Guatemala, in Korea, in ... say that you are, as always, full of ****, Finn.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 02:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,

What's both really sad and funny in a twisted sort of way is that Obama is our president!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 02:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Thank the Lord we have you CI who knows The Truth and never tires of pronouncing it!

He does get tired sometimes, Finn, but he tries. Weight that against what you do and the puzzling question leaps to the fore - What do you get out of constantly perverting the truth, why do you persist in trying to replace h2oman when you are, at best, a shallow imitation?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 05:27 pm
Anyone planning on watching the debate?
JPB

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 05:29 pm
@realjohnboy,
probably not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 06:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Just take notes for us, okay?
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 06:24 pm
@roger,
1st round featured an attempt by the host to get Perry & Romney to fight. Didn't work.
Huntsman scored a point; Bachmann attacked Obama. Paul got some good applause. Gingrich had some funny lines.
Heathcare up next.