The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:09 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

what else could it be? If they wasn't afraid, they should have just let Obama go on the same day as the debates and beat him up with it. But they didn't.

1) combativeness

2) insulted

3) pride
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:40 am
@hawkeye10,
Immature, kid stuff.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Immature, kid stuff.
On both sides if Obama blindsided Boehner on this...
revelette

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Except he wasn't blindsided.

Quote:
Our intention was merely for the president to address a joint session of congress as soon as possible upon congress’ return to the White House. Both houses will be in session on next Wednesday. We asked for that day. We contacted the speaker’s office. No objection was raised at that time. The letter went forward. The speaker came back later in the day saying there was a problem with that, logistical. That’s fine. We’ll go Thursday.

Our interest is not in having a political back and forth here. Our interest is in the president speaking to people, speaking to congress about the need to do things, to create jobs to get the economy going. Americans are sick and tired of the bickering, the gridlock. What we saw over the summer, gridlock and partisan bickering is not new but what we saw over the summer, it can be harmful and deadly for the lives of Americans. people are fed up. We want to focus on the things we can do to get the economy growing. It’s what the president is going to talk about next week.

source

So in your opinion, being combative merely for the sake of it, is better than being afraid of the President speaking before a joint session in congress about a jobs program during a republican debate? Creating all the ruckus was better than allowing it to go forward as they thought it was agreed to by Boehner so that they can show they can push the President around?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:22 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
Except he wasn't blindsided.
Did the speakers office ever respond that they were OK with this? You are also talking about first contact being made only one week before the date desired where custom is to work this out several weeks or a month before. Also, we have reports that the White House contacted Boehner's office 15 minutes before they went public, in which case this is like a journalist calling a mark, leaving a message on the answering machine, and three minutes later is writing in the story " so and so was contacted about this story but had no immediate response"....it is a check the block act, not one that is intended to yield the result claimed.

I am 90% sure that Obama was purposefully trying to be a prick here, as he often is, and that Boehner was ticked off about the lack of respect shown to him and his office so he knocked Obama back on his heals, again.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:29 pm
@revelette,
Regardless, this is little more than a tempest in a teapot since neither the debate nor the President's speech will be watched by more than few stalwart political junkies. Most people will simply sigh and shake their heads at the inability of Congress and the administration to get beyond bickering as usual.
I think, for what it's worth, that the Repubs should have moved their debate back by an hour or so on Wednesday so as to follow Obama's address. They could then spend their time criticizing his job plan. As it stands now, they may have to debate each others' plans.
JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
xactly!
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
They could then spend their time criticizing his job plan.
That would have been idiotic, as they would not have had time to come up with a solid response, they would have been seen as doing the knee jerk condemnation of anything Obama says as they are often accused of.

EDIT: I am fairly sure that this is the result Obama intended, he wanted them to be asked about stuff he had said just a hour before, for them to need to take a snap position on a plan that he has been working on for a month, in order to make them look like not serious thinkers and vindictive party of no members. I think that the GOP sidestepped a landmine here that had been placed by a prick.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
I respectfully disagree, Hawkeye. I think the major ingredients of Obama's jobs plan have already been presented in more than rough draft form. We may see some refinement on the Sunday talk shows but I think that we can come up with a comprehensive check list well before Thursday.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I respectfully disagree, Hawkeye. I think the major ingredients of Obama's jobs plan have already been presented in more than rough draft form. We may see some refinement on the Sunday talk shows but I that we can come up with a comprehensive check list well before Thursday.
How many voters pay close enough attention to know that? Perception is reality, the perception from most would have been that the GOP candidates were knee jerk party of no'ers.......and their words would have been used against them as soundbites in a pro Obama commercial before too long, along with the attempt by Obama and his friends to sell the idea that the GOP is the party of no.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I think, for what it's worth, that the Repubs should have moved their debate back by an hour or so on Wednesday so as to follow Obama's address.

Obama's request was both premeditated and unprecedented, he and his ilk will twist this to suit themselves even though the GOP did the right thing.

Why is Obama's speech suddenly so damn important? If it was was important to Obama he would have moved his vacation back and handled the issue first.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:26 pm
@JPB,
Obama's Thursday night speech will compete with the NFL's opening football game (New Orleans @ Green Bay). The game will get a ton more eyeballs than the speech.
Which brings me - briefly - to the A2K NFL Pick-um game which I have been pimping for for the last eight years.
I invite you all to join us. We do not get at all political in the silly game.
If you have even a passing interest in the NFL, please join us.
JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll be there. And I'll be watching the game on Thursday night.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
I have a hard time believing the President,or at least his political advisors were not aware of the scheduled Republican candidate's debate. In that circumstance, the act of proposing the Joint Session of the Congress at exactly that moment was, as a minimum, insulting and offensive.

We are not a Kingdom and Obama is surely no King. We have three coequal branches of government under our constitution. The Speaker of the House (#3 in succession after the VP) certainly had the right to propose an alternate date, and, considering his legitamate independent political interests, had an obligation to his party to do so. The alternative was to accept being treated as children by the President.

I agree the whole thing is a tempest in a teapot and indicative of the low state of the current political dialogue. In such cases it is usually apt to look to the party that created the tempest. In this case that was the White House.
JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:47 pm
@georgeob1,
I thought it showed an overall level of cluelessness on the part of the White House. Competing with the opening night of the NFL is one of pure choice. Asking for a joint session of congress to meet and the American people to listen to his speech instead of the Republican debate was either arrogance or cluelessness. I prefer to think they are just clueless.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:47 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
In such cases it is usually apt to look to the party that created the tempest. In this case that was the White House.
It takes two to make a tempest, but it certainly looks like the original bad act came from the White House.....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:55 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I thought it showed an overall level of cluelessness on the part of the White House
That extreme level of staff incompetence is not at all a better story line than is political calculation that backfired on the White House so far as Obama is concerned.
revelette

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am 90% sure that Obama was purposefully trying to be a prick here, as he often is, and that Boehner was ticked off about the lack of respect shown to him and his office so he knocked Obama back on his heals, again.

Tell, me, how is a a republican debate in any way connected to congress or the president asking to speak before congress a sign of disrespect for Boehner? If anything it is huge unprecedented sign of disrespect for the President of United State to be denied a request to speak before congress.

If Boehner didn't raise any objections when being informed of the President's request to speak before congress, what difference does it make when the letter was sent if they didn't think there was any objection to it? Are you saying they put the President on an an answering machine rather than answering his or his staff's phone call?

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:58 pm
@revelette,
Two of the participants in the debate are members of congress. Which should Bachman and Paul choose to do in your opinion?
JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't think either one of them are good story lines. It was a poor choice of dates.
0 Replies