The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 05:04 pm
@JPB,
You mean the phrase that keeps getting stuck in your throat, JPB. Smile

Actually, the non-rhetoric nature of my question was for you, Soz, Thomas, RJB, anyone who feels that they are citizens of a civilized country.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:35 am
@realjohnboy,
I'm gathering more respect for Huntsman as he throws caution to the winds. He seems to be trying for (or easing into) McCain's role in 2000 (setting himself up for a later nomination).
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:43 am
@sozobe,
I've liked Huntsman from the beginning. The Dem mayor of Salt Lake City waxes poetic about working with him during his tenure as the R governor. I linked an interview somewhere earlier in this thread.
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:54 am
Here it is

http://able2know.org/topic/165850-44#post-4614861
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:56 am
@JPB,
I liked him before he became a candidate, didn't like the early going (c'mon dude, be the one to keep your hand down re: the tax thing in the debate*), like him more again now that he's getting a spine.

Not enough that I'd want to vote for him, but I was annoyed at how he was following the wingnut crowd.

Quote:
One of the more memorable moments from the Republican debate in Ames, Iowa, was when the eight candidates were asked if they would accept a deficit-reduction deal overwhelmingly tilted toward spending cuts over tax revenue increases by a ratio of 10 to 1.

They were asked to raise their hands if they would find such a deal unacceptable because it included tax increases. Every candidate raised his or her hand.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/08/12/139580923/romneys-raised-hand-on-debate-deficit-question-a-read-my-lips-moment
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:57 am
@sozobe,
Yeah, he's apparently regretted getting sucked into the moment. Doesn't mean the moment didn't happen though.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:33 am
@JPB,
Congress' approval rating is now down to 12%.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:39 am
Pataki's out. He cancelled his trip to Iowa. I wonder if he'll run for the Senate instead.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 10:54 am
Maybe the next election, but not this one...

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:03 am
@Irishk,
Quote:
Congress' approval rating is now down to 12%.

Quote:
I wonder if he'll run for the Senate instead.

Evidently, as long as the requisite perks are there, having people hold you in respect means nothing.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 02:14 pm
One of the first things this countries new republican president needs to do is totally remove Obamacare from existence...

ObamaCare Flatlines: ObamaCare Taxes Home Sales - Clobbers Middle-Class Americans
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 02:34 pm
@H2O MAN,
I hadn't heard that. Are you saying that if I sell my home for $300,000 I will have to pay $11,400 (3.8%) in sales tax?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
Are you a 'high-income' earner, who makes more than 250k per year or 500k per year if you're married? If so, the answer is yes.

The GOP piece waterboy linked to is full of bullshit and half-truths, though - there's no indication that this will ever hit 'middle class' earners at all. The median income would have to more than quadruple before there was any danger of this at all. At modern inflation rates, and given the fact that middle-class income has been flat for a long time now, this is an extremely unlikely outcome.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
The amount of sales tax would be included in the price of sale, wouldn't it? In that event, the buyer will be paying for that sales tax.

Also, you will be able to include that sales tax payment as a deduction on your tax return, wouldn't you?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
There's a tax, of any kind on one's principal residence?
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:19 pm
@JTT,
I am doing this on fading memory, JTT, so please don't take this as truth. Feel free to fact check regarding principal residences.
If I buy a house for $100K and sell it for $200K there is no taxable gain as long as I buy a replacement house for $200K within a certain time frame. And, I can claim a one-time exemption from any gain even if I don't buy another house. So if I bought a house in 1970 for $100K and now I am moving into a nursing home, I am not taxed on the gain on selling for $300K. But you can only elect to do that once.

Interesting discussion. We are still waiting for H2o to comment on the article he cut and pasted regarding how this is related to Obamacare.
It is not my call, but I would suggest that this has little to do with the Repub nomination process. It might belong on another thread.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
And do those same rules apply to a person regardless of their yearly income? I say this because Cy's post seems to indicate that +much dinero people have to pay such a tax.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:33 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

And do those same rules apply to a person regardless of their yearly income? I say this because Cy's post seems to indicate that +much dinero people have to pay such a tax.

It is true that the HCR bill is financed in part by such a tax on the highest earners' unearned income.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:49 pm
Wow, came across this story today:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/rick-perry-texas-life-insurance-scheme_n_935666.html?view=print&comm_ref=false

What a ******* scumbag Perry is.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
Recent changes (in the last decade I believe) make gains up to $250,000 tax free as long as you lived in the house 2 of the previous 5 years. No limit on the number of times you can do this.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p523/ar02.html#en_US_2010_publink1000200709