The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 08:55 am
@revelette,
I can't think of a single thing that will mobilize the left/center more than a Perry, Backman, or Santorum winning the nomination. Farmer said it well on another thread. All of these folks want to prepare the US for the end times which, they believe, is coming soon. Most of the country want a President who is dedicated to keep our nation going and growing, not one that's focused on bringing us in line with their perception of a redemptive Christ and acceptance into the Kingdom of God.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:07 am
@JPB,
The best post I've read in a very long time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
The true colors of the republicans.

Quote:
Cheney: 'No regrets' on waterboarding
Updated 49m ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Vice President Dick Cheney says he has "no regrets" about the harsh interrogation policies the Bush administration pursued in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

It's a huge problem when the administration of our government has no ethics or understands international laws.

Quote:
Waterboarding
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the aquatic sport sometimes known as "water boarding", see Surfing.

Waterboarding in Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge regime. Painting by former prison inmate Vann Nath at the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Waterboarding is a form of torture in which water is poured over the face of an immobilized captive, causing the individual to experience the sensation of drowning.
Although a variety of specific techniques are used in waterboarding, the captive's face is usually covered with cloth or some other thin material, and the subject is immobilized on his/her back. Water is then poured onto the face over the breathing passages, causing an almost immediate gag reflex and creating the sensation that the captive is drowning.[1][2][3] Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage and, if uninterrupted, death.[4] Adverse physical consequences can manifest themselves months after the event, while psychological effects can last for years.[5] The term water board torture appears in press reports as early as 1976.[6]
In 2007 it was reported that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) was using waterboarding on extrajudicial prisoners and that the Department of Justice had authorized the procedure,[7][8] even though the United States government hanged Japanese soldiers for waterboarding US prisoners of war in World War II.[9]The CIA confirms using waterboarding on three Al-Qaeda suspects, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Abu Zubaydah, and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, during the 2002 to 2003 time frame.[10][11]
During the presidency of George W. Bush, U.S. government officials at various times said they did not believe waterboarding to be a form of torture.[12][13][14][15] To justify its use of waterboarding, the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law, including the Bybee memo, which it later withdrew.[16][17][18] In January 2009 President Barack Obama banned the use of waterboarding. In April 2009, the U.S. Department of Defense refused to say whether waterboarding is still used for training (e.g. SERE) purposes.[19][20]
JTT

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Vice President Dick Cheney says he has "no regrets" about the harsh interrogation policies the Bush administration pursued in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Hey, everyone, lookee over here at me, lil Dick. I'm a war criminal!! Isn't that just the coolest thing ever? And this waterboarding stuff, small potatoes compared to what I've been involved in!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:16 pm
Can we please not turn this into a generic Republican bashing thread?
sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:26 pm
Gasp! I mean, literally, I gasped:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/24/kinky-friedman-rick-perry-s-got-my-vote.html

(I can't remember where the recent discussion of Kinky-as-TX-Gov was, I don't think it was here but I'll put it here.)

I read through the whole thing expecting a punchline, but there wasn't one. Shocked
JTT

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:27 pm
@JPB,
Some things are of such import, war crimes being one of them, that they demand immediate attention, JPB.

Republicans, it must be noted, by and large, have supported these war crimes.

This thread has got this far with no signs of its imminent demise. The odd injection of some well-known truths isn't going to kill it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:30 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Can we please not turn this into a generic Republican bashing thread?

Probably not. Today's Republican party is in a condition where its dispassionate analysis inevitably ends up looking like a bashing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:35 pm
@sozobe,
I'm not sure why this is shocking. Fits pretty well with the stereotypical Texan to me. I've no doubt the Perry can take Texas. And possibly IA, SC and FL. I don't think he'll do well in the rest of the country.
Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:35 pm
@sozobe,
You must be feeling like I felt in 2008, when Arlo Guthrie came out as a Ron-Paul supporter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:37 pm
@JPB,
Because it's Kinky! I've been reading his books for maybe 15 years? and have met him, and was Facebook friends with him until recently, and he's generally un-PC with a core of sanity/ truth. This is not typical Kinky.

Thomas, probably! Btw your comment re: Republicans made the sig line thread.
JTT

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:39 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I don't think he'll do well in the rest of the country.

With the bush redux, let the unpleasant and discomforting thoughts fall away mentality that some roughly 59 million Americans seem all to eager to jump into, I'm not at all sure.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:41 pm
@sozobe,
I'm flattered!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 01:18 pm
@sozobe,
Gotta say...that was probably the most entertaining endorsement I've ever read lol!!!

Quote:
When I lost, I drove off in a 1937 Snit, refusing to concede to Perry. Three days later Rick called to give me a gracious little pep talk, effectively talking me down from jumping off the bridge of my nose.
Laughing
sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 01:20 pm
@Irishk,
Yes, 1937 Snit was nice. I think I've seen the nose one before though. (He's funny, that's one reason I've liked him. I can't believe he actually is pro-Perry though. Maybe, as one of the commentators suggested, he's doing some back-scratching just in case Perry does make it all the way. He enjoys being friends with the POTUS [and Obama seems to be the only recent president to be immune to his charms].)
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 01:40 pm
@sozobe,
I just checked one of my libraries to see if they have any of his books in digital form...I found two!!

Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette
and
Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned

Ha!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 01:42 pm
@JPB,
It seems odd to me that all these political discussions go on with nary a word spoken about clear admissions from an ex VP that he committed war crimes.

The let the unpleasant and discomforting thoughts fall away mentality is hardly limited to the conservative/Republican side.

Shouldn't the first question asked of a political candidate be, "Do you support the admitted war crimes of the former administration of GW Bush?"

Shouldn't the first question asked by citizens of a civilized country be,

Don't you think that the first question asked of a political candidate should be,

"Do you support the war crimes of the former administration of GW Bush?"

These are NOT rhetorical questions.

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 02:10 pm
@JTT,
Good luck with that, JTT. These are all folks who immediately raised their hands when asked if they would vote against $10 of spending cuts in exchange for 1$ of increased revenues. Do you honestly think that any of them would say they didn't support the Bush doctrine on foreign policy (with or without your favorite phrase thrown in)? Never going to happen.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 04:06 pm
Um. Trying to get back on topic...
A Pew poll out today suggests that Repubs and Repub leaning independents (Rinds) are wearying of Palin in general and her continuing coyness about whether she will or not run.
41% of folks who self describe as being in that group say they would be unlikely to vote for her. That ties her with Paul, but they finish ahead of Gingrich at 48%.
Meanwhile, Huntsman continues to march to his own drum. He evidently will say tonight on PBS's News Hour that, while he opposes the concept of tax increases, he might support the notion of means testing for Medicare and Social Security benefits.
In the Gallup poll he is at 1%.
djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 04:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Another "I told you so" message from Hawkeye, both that Perry is the best candidate currently in the race

as we have seen from countless award shows and endless seasons of American Idol, most popular is seldom best
0 Replies