The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Look for Chris Christie to enter the race.

I don't think Palindrome will.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Damn that iPad auto-spell...make that "Palin."
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I doubt Christie will join, but the establishment Repubs wish he does.
Palin has a big speech on Labor Day. She can't keep being coy. I, too, think she will opt out.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:38 pm
@north,
north wrote:

republicans can nominate who they want but they are all incompitent bubbling fools

Well said Drunk

At least all are more qualified than Obama and all of them actually love the US.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Look for Chris Christie to enter the race.

I don't think Palindrome will.

I wouldn't bet on Christie jumpin in.

Re: the Dems not needing to worry much about formulating their attacks,

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/20/romney-home-in-la-jolla-to-grow/

It's like your side wants Obama to win. Seriously.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
Which would you consider to be more important for a Republican candidate, h20guy; "being an incompetent fool" or "loving the USA"?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm sure you wouldn't, and we know how successful you've been in betting on politics with me.

You are such a partisan that there isn't a single candidate the Republicans might actually field that you wouldn't consider an easy mark.

I know you long for Bachmann or Paul to run against Obama, but this isn't going to happen.

Whomever wins the GOP nomination is not only going to give The One a run for his massive accumulation of money (something you never seem to have a problem with) they will beat him.

The economy is in the tank and there is no chance of reviving it with liberal economic policies.

If he makes a 180 degree turn and becomes a Tea Party conservative, he might be able to pull it off...in which case I will vote for him.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm sure you wouldn't, and we know how successful you've been in betting on politics with me.

Sorry, are you really asserting that Christie will jump in the race - despite his repeated and vociferous denials that he will do so, and his so-so approval ratings in his own state?

Quote:
You are such a partisan that there isn't a single candidate the Republicans might actually field that you wouldn't consider an easy mark.

That is untrue. You have one guy on your bench who wouldn't be an easy mark; and that's Marco Rubio. I'm hoping that he doesn't take a VP slot offer this year.

Quote:
Whomever wins the GOP nomination is not only going to give The One a run for his massive accumulation of money (something you never seem to have a problem with) they will beat him.

You're out of your ******* mind to talk so confidently, Finn, considering that Romney is hated by your party and Perry was Bush's right-hand man. You're going to be screwed either way. Palin entering the race would just make it a lot more fun to watch.

But at least it's not boring and vapid boasting.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
You're out of your ******* mind to talk so confidently, Finn, considering that Romney is hated by your party and Perry was Bush's right-hand man. You're going to be screwed either way. Palin entering the race would just make it a lot more fun to watch.

You severely underestimate the stupidity of LARGE segments of the American population, Cy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hee... you have seen www.damnyouautocorrect.com , right?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Marco Rubio is attractive, a fresh face, Hispanic and from the key state of Florida. I am pretty confident that he will steer clear of the 2012 election, preferring to see how the warfare in the GOP plays out. 2016 will be his year.
revelette

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Laughing iphone is just as bad when you are trying to text. For some reason my kids would rather text than answer their phones or even just walk a few steps (they live close) to talk in person. I make mistakes all the time, sure don't need a phone making more.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:40 am
@sozobe,
No I hadn't.

Laughing

Thanks
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:41 am
@revelette,
Amen
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
With the proviso that between now and the election all sorts of strange things, both wonderful and horrible, can happen, I am confident Obama will lose.

Time and benign neglect from DC may be what is required to right our economy. Obama doesn't have enough of the former and cannot afford to attempt the latter even if he was inclined to do so.

Based on the peeks the WH has been providing, his "JOBS PLAN," it looks like more of the same failed policies.

The only chance for turning things around are free enterprise solutions. If Obama embraces the Dark Side and produces a real recovery, heck I might have to vote for him.

Right now Romney beats Obama by 2 percentage points in polling and Perry is tied with him. Bachmann and Paul are within 2 and 4 points of him!

This, at a time in the campaign process when all primary candidates appear pretty small. Eventually the GOP will have a nominee (and it won't be Bachmann or Paul) and their standing against a sitting president will great enlarge. If they're ahead or even with him now, it bodes very poorly for him in 2012.

Again something very strange could happen between now and then, but its unlikely. It conditions don't change dramatically, Obama will lose. How they reasonably be expected to so dramatically change?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:58 am
@realjohnboy,
Rubio is an ideal choice for VP, and then his chance will be in 2020.

He's not going to run against a Republican incumbent in 2016.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Based on the peeks the WH has been providing, his "JOBS PLAN," it looks like more of the same failed policies.

What 'failed policies?' This is just conservative messaging bullshit. I expect you to do more than repeat to me what you read on blogs or hear Boehner's office put out in a press release.

I do agree that Obama's polling has slipped somewhat in the last few weeks, but - if you look at the trends - it's in large part b/c of Liberals such as myself registering dissatisfaction with him. That won't last through an election. I guess it's also worth pointing out that in the 10 polls taken in August, 1 - the Gallup poll you cite - has ANY Republican beating Obama. The other 9 show him beating all candidates. I was wondering how long it would take one of you guys to start crowing about the one piece of evidence which has you feeling good about the upcoming election.

You are whistling past the graveyard of severe issues that both of your top candidates face, Finn - and I think you know it. You won't discuss any of the candidates specifically, instead preferring to attack Obama and rest on assertions of impending victory. That doesn't signal, to me, a lot of confidence in either of your top candidates.

Time will tell - but I don't see any real reason to worry at this point. Obama will have both a cash and organization advantage, and your candidates are all weak ones.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
... and I'm hardly the only one who thinks your top candidates are sub-par -

Quote:
Conservative elites pine for 2012 hero
By JONATHAN MARTIN & BEN SMITH | 8/23/11 4:31 AM EDT

It’s a tough time to be a conservative intellectual.

From the Weekly Standard to the Wall Street Journal, on the pages of policy periodicals and opinion sections, the egghead right’s longing for a presidential candidate of ideas — first Mitch Daniels, then Paul Ryan - has been endless, intense, and unrequited.

Profoundly dissatisfied with the current field, that dull ache may only grow more acute after Ryan’s decision Monday to take himself out of the running.

The problem, in shorthand: To many conservative elites, Rick Perry is a dope, Michele Bachmann is a joke, and Mitt Romney is a fraud.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61882.html#ixzz1VrYe1HTG

Perry isn't smart enough to hang with Obama and Romney is indeed a fraud. The Dem machine will tear both of them apart.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:50 am

... the democrat presidential candidate for 2012 is sub-par ...
JPB

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:54 am
I'm guessing Pataki has been having both of his arms twisted by core Republican money-people.

Quote:
*** Pataki’s “major announcement”? While Paul Ryan took himself out of the GOP presidential race yesterday, could we see another Republican get in? And we’re not talking about Sarah Palin. According to NBC’s Anthony Terrell, the Polk County (IA) Republican Party confirmed that George Pataki will be attending its picnic on Saturday -- and that he’ll have a “major announcement” there. What kind of announcement? A Pataki spokesman told NBC’s Andrew Rafferty, "At this point, I can only confirm he will be in attendance." Source
0 Replies