The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:42 am
@revelette,
What a lovely list revelette. Really romantic I must say.
revelette

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:46 am
@spendius,
You are talking of a divided congress voting mostly along party lines. Only one republican voted no on the Blunt amendment though Colins said she had reservations of the amendment she voted for it anyway. (left post with links on another thread talking of this subject)

In most polls the mandate is supported by 63% of those polled.

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/1.jpg
Quote:

Kaiser's finding is in line with previous polls finding broad support for a requirement that insurance provides contraception coverage. A majority of Catholics also agree with the Obama administration's contraception regulation. Faith leaders also agree with the regulation and so do the very organizations the right claims will be harmed by the policy: Catholic hospitals, Catholic Charities, and Catholic universities.

links at the source
revelette

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:47 am
@spendius,
thank you i do try
spendius

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:52 am
@revelette,
Do you think ladies read romantic fiction to help them feel better and, if you do, do you think feeling better helps in being better?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
@revelette,
The messages the republican candidates are sending right now are not related to what the general public is interested in because these guys are all trying to win the GOP nomination. Therefor all of their campaign rhetoric is focused on pandering to only 50% (the conservatives) of the population.

Once the nomination is over, everyone will quickly forget what was said in the GOP campaigns and all the rhetoric will focus on winning the full majority of the population. Even though I anticipate much silliness in the general election, I don't think it will be nearly as outrageously silly as it has currently been.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:24 am
the hardcore conservatives they're pandering to are far less than 50% of the population. Around 30% would be the maximum, and given the plummeting agreement with the Tea Party principles, probably in actuality a good deal less than that. But that comparatively small number are the ones who come out for GOP caucuses and primaries in disproportionate numbers, so the candidates just get farther and farther from the centrist mainstream.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:30 am
@MontereyJack,
Exactly. And that's why I think we're seeing such bizarreness in the conversations happening right now. It's skewed toward communicating with the extremists who are more likely to come out to vote.

Once they settle on Romney and the general election starts a lot of this craziness will go away. And we will be left with the usual mortifyingly brain dead political process. Oh joy.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:55 am
Which is why I plan on voting for Santorum in the MA primary on Tuesday. Keep the Republicans destroying each other going on as long as possible.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:05 am
@MontereyJack,
The report I read in yesterdays's guardian suggested that the long drawn out campaign that was a feature of the last Democrat nomination, was a good thing, because Democrats liked both Clinton and Obama. If this becomes a similarly drawn out, which seems likely, it won't be goods because Republicans don't really like any of the candidates.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:15 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Which is why I plan on voting for Santorum in the MA primary on Tuesday. Keep the Republicans destroying each other going on as long as possible.
I think a lot of evil democrats are thinking the same thing Wink

On the other hand, if Santorum wins then even though it's unlikely he can prevail, you have to sweat it out fearing some bizarre disaster for Obama which might leave Santorum in office.

If it's between Romney and Obama then it's not so bad either direction you go. Neither one will change the status quo very much. Both are smart men, certainly with different ideas, but neither one likely to botch the job completely.

The root problem with the US government is the effect of lobbyists on congress and the fact that congress itself has simply become a training ground for future lobbyists. Until that problem is solves, nothing else in the system is ever going to make much of a difference. People need to focus on congressional elections, not presidential elections.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:30 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
On the other hand, if Santorum wins then even though it's unlikely he can prevail, you have to sweat it out fearing some bizarre disaster for Obama which might leave Santorum in office.

Great point, Rosborne. I really would like a loser to head the Republican ticket, but what if the economy truly tanks...or something like Iran/Israel screws up the dynamic and the Republican wins. (That is not a far-fetched scenario by any means.)

Romney truly seems to be the sanest of that group.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
If the ticket ends up being Romney vs Obama, then I'll sleep well at night knowing that no outcome will be more disastrous than any other (unless Romney picks Palin as a VP or some stupidity like that) Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:55 am
@rosborne979,
We can blame the voters for this problem; we've known this transfer from government work into becoming lobbyists for many years, but we keep voting in the same people to earn their training before they change jobs.

With congress' rating at 10%, we need a 100% changeover. It's up to us to do just that, but I don't expect miracles. Voters are clueless in what we've created and sustained for too long.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:58 am
I suffered thru four years of Romney as governor, and that was four more years than I ever wanted to see of pandering. If there ever was someone who deserves to be a victim of class warfare, he's the one.

I just hope that whoever it was who said, "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time" knew what he was talking about.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
I'm not sure how Romney won anything in his life by the way he presents himself as a confused citizen of this country. He swings back and forth between one issue until we don't know where he really stands. Talk about one confused idiot, it's him. This is the guy the conservatives find as their leader.

This country has gone bonkers!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
With congress' rating at 10%, we need a 100% changeover.

The only quick fix I can think of is applying to become a member of the British Commonwealth and you get our Queen as head of state.

A coup is the only other option.

You're stuck with it and it won't improve because there's no procedure to improve it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:35 pm
@spendius,
You cheer me up mate. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they applied to join, only to find their membership had been blocked by Pakistan?
roger

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank you. I was overdue for my morning smile.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:43 pm
Politics must be either boring or offensive in the UK to create such interest in the commonplace details of our struggles. The expressed delusions about our supposed realignment with the vaporous Commonwelth (merely a discrete cover put over the sordid debris of empire) betray a rather odd and unreal perception of reality.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:50 pm
@roger,
Well if I can make someone smile it's been a good day.
0 Replies