The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:00 pm
@spendius,
spendi, Obama will be cutting defense spending, and he's not "overspending" on anything; it's the consequence of GW Bush's Great Recession that required tax cuts for the middle class for those whose income have remained stagnant for the past decade, and unemployment benefits for those who have lost their jobs and homes.

Spending on our taxpayers and unemployed are more important than wars half way around the world. This simple concept is lost on conservatives.

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I will believe cuts in defence spending when I see them.

I'm a Bilko fan.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:23 pm
@spendius,
From USA Today.
Quote:
Panetta, Joint Chiefs chairman defend military budget cuts

WASHINGTON (AP) – Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and the nation's top military leader on Tuesday defended the Pentagon's slimmed-down, $614 billion budget, telling lawmakers it's time to show Congress is serious about reducing the deficit.

Testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Panetta warned lawmakers that budget cuts will hit all 50 states, but he says the reductions have been carefully planned and there is little room for changes.
Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the budget tradeoffs were tough and complex, but they will produce the savings mandated by the $487 billion in reductions over a decade the President Obama and congressional Republicans agreed to last summer.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Spending on our taxpayers and unemployed are more important than wars half way around the world. This simple concept is lost on conservatives.

I am not sure about that, Maybe I have it wrong but It does seem to me that the conservative principles have led us to victory every sense the Old Kingdom of Egypt.
Wars have paid off very handsome for some of us. We have acquired much wealth and many slaves for thousands of years. It is so hard to give up on something that has paid off so well for some of us.
I'm not sure where we would be today If we did not learn from the king of Egypt who was our living god that ruled absolutely and could demand the services and wealth of his subjects.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:41 pm
@reasoning logic,
What you call "victory" have been illegal under international laws that we are signatory to. You have an odd concept of victory.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No I am against what I stated, I was just stating that it seemed to work for so long so why would you want anything different.
It is the psychopathic way.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 09:08 am
@JTT,
I spotted a good quote for JTT to carry around. It is Rudyard Kipling writing about his friendship with Theodore Roosevelt--

Quote:
. . . I never got over the wonder of a people who, having extirpated the aboriginals of their continent more completely than any modern race has ever done, honestly believed that they were a godly little New England community, setting examples to brutal mankind.

Kipling claimed that Mr Roosevelt " made the glass cases of Indian relics [at the Smithsonian Institution] shake with his rebuttals."
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 09:52 am
well, so far Santorum (33.8) is ahead of Romney 28.0 on RCP.

Romney Vastly Outspending Santorum Everywhere But Michigan

Quote:

Rick Santorum may have some advantages over Mitt Romney in upcoming primary contests, but it seems clear those advantages won't be in the amoung of money spent in the air. A Democratic media observer sends over numbers showing that other than in Michigan -- where Santorum and his super PAC just dumped a buch of cash in the run up to the Feb. 28 primary -- Romney's campaign and his super PAC are vastly outspending Santorum on the airwaves. And even in Michigan, Santorum's being outspent at a good clip.

Here's the breakdown from the source. "Restore" refers to Restore Our Future, Romney's super PAC. Red, White and Blue Fund is Satorum's super PAC.

MI side by side comparison – Romney + Restore ($3.2 Million) has nearly 3:1 advantage over Santorum + Red White and Blue Fund ($1.1 Million) Romney + Restore only ones on MI Radio.

AZ side by side comparison – Restore ($640k) has 14:1 advantage over Santorum ($45k). Winning Our Future only group on AZ radio (General market and Hispanic).

OH side by side comparison – Restore ($830k) has nearly 5:1 advantage over Santorum ($180k). Restore and Winning Our Future only groups on OH radio.

GA side by side comparison – Restore ($605k) has 8:1 advantage over Santorum ($73k).

OK side by side comparison – Restore ($184k) has more than 3:1 advantage over Santorum ($55k).

TN side by side comparison – Restore ($435k) has nearly 7:1 advantage over Santorum ($66k). Restore also on TN radio for $30k.

Apparently Rick Santorum or Gingrich has got the vote of Rev. Franklin Graham because he does not believe that either Obama or Romney are true Christians. (it just kills me when these political christians go around thinking they are Jesus Christ on judgement day separating the wheat from the shaft.)

Quote:
WILLIE GEIST (co-host, Morning Joe): Do you believe that Rick Santorum is Christian?

GRAHAM: I think so.

GEIST: Why is it different for Rick Santorum?

GRAHAM: Well, because his values are so clear on moral issues….

JOHN HEILEMANN (New York Magazine): That’s an amazing double standard. Your reaction to the difference. The question about Rick Santorum and President Obama, I think, just exposes an incredible double standard you’re applying to the two people. They’re exactly the same situation.

ALEX WITT (host, NOW): Reverend, what about Mitt Romney…is he a Christian?
GRAHAM: He’s a Mormon… most Christians would not recognize Mormons as part of the Christian faith. [...]

GRAHAM: Any one of these candidates. Newt Gingrich. Now, Newt has been married several times, so he’s had those issues — but he can make a good candidate. And I think that Newt is a Christian, at least he told me he is.

source

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:53 pm
@revelette,
Santorum's rhetoric has gotten racist, bigoted, and scary. What is scarier is that his audience claps when he suggests that Obama is like Hitler, and says nothing when any in his audience claims Obama is a Muslim and should not be our president. He doesn't know what is right or wrong, and wants to become our president. Scary.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 02:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In addition, if he was a Muslim.....so what?
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 02:55 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
"It's better to fail at achieving greatness than to succeed at achieving ordinary"

You should think that through bvt. It is easy to fail at achieving greatness and it's very difficult succeeding at achieving ordinary. You just don't notice the ones who achieve ordinary.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 03:13 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Wrong, kimosabe. Obama is a christian. If you don't understand simple truths, you'll fail in life.

Only the right wing-nuts are promoting that misinformation, and you're buying into it too!

Nobody said being is Muslim is wrong. You won't find any of my posts with such idiocy.
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 03:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Mr Obama has given some evidence with the recent initiative on contraception that he is not a true Christian. How much credence is allowed such evidence is a matter of opinion. If he is a Christian he is not unlike some of the Christians you have often been critical of going by some of the things that have happened on his watch, as you say in the US.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 03:55 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Mr Obama has given some evidence with the recent initiative on contraception that he is not a true Christian.

Actually, Barack Obama has given some evidence that he is a hell of a lot "truer" Christian than some of the Catholic Bishops in America.

That "true Christian" nonsense sounds to my ear like Sarah Palin or other conservatives talking about "true Americans."

Fact is, if being a Christian (especially a "true" Christian) means honoring the teachings of Jesus...the actual number of Christians in our country (and in the world) would be decreased by more than half.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 03:56 pm
@spendius,
Just my opinion, of course.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The teaching of Jesus are nowhere without an organisation to promote them. And that takes some doing when those teachings are extremely difficult to live up to and possibly economically disastrous if they were actually lived up to by us all.

And as an organisation requires human beings we can expect some shortcomings when the sort of people who are required to do the organising in a free-for-all shouting match are not quite the sort of people to live up to the teachings of Jesus. They will do their best of course.

Without such organisations we would soon be without the teachings of Jesus.

You might consider be agnostical on the matter Frank. Dylan said that The Drifter's Escape was about doing evil to do good.

I have no idea how Christian the Catholic bishops in the US are. I wouldn't like to get into a dust up with either of those two who were promoted to Cardinal last week.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:21 pm
@spendius,
as wassaid,"The priests make the demands not the gods" I cannot see how Catholic Americans can worship at the same rail where the priests are known pedophiles and the church has been heavily invested in making the story "Go away"

True Christian, what a laugh.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 05:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Wrong, kimosabe. Obama is a christian. If you don't understand simple truths, you'll fail in life.

Only the right wing-nuts are promoting that misinformation, and you're buying into it too!

Nobody said being is Muslim is wrong. You won't find any of my posts with such idiocy.

Cicerone what the **** is with you lately? All I said was if he was a Muslim so what? Meaning it's a non issue. I don't think he's a Muslim but I wouldn't care if he was. I hope you're not turning into one of those guys that every little thing has to be explained in minute detail for fear you'll take it out of context.
That's tiresome. We've both been around long enough to know I don't just buy into things, I'm too in love with myself and my own opinions. Mr. Green
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 05:49 pm
@farmerman,
You'll be helping those types of people into the Church fm in order to have an argument. What have you to say about the Church if there are none of those types in it as there shouldn't be. We don't discuss the cops or the Marines in terms of what a few do. There are far more people from the Church dealing with the poverty stricken of the world that there are appearing in the media you expose yourself to. Seemingly eagerly.

It's a nonsense argument.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:01 pm
@spendius,
had the church handled it in some decent and reasonable way, it would be a non-issue.

unfortunately they did not...