The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 03:58 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
to be erudite is to be divine

You've got nothing to fear on either count, right? Wink
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
We seem to have reached an accord.

I knew that from the get go, because I'm so much more intelligent than you. Smile

Quote:
Isn't it part of human nature to think of yourself in the best possible light.

Common sense self worth is okay. That part of human nature you refer to is called conceit and America has got a particularly bad habit of engaging in such behavior.

I've been through all the historical crap that Americans get fed and it's not limited to school. There is a constant bombardment of "this great country"; "god's gift to the masses"; "god bless the best country that the world has ever known"; ... .

The UK certainly has its sordid past and if I was more up on that part of history, it certainly wouldn't escape notice. I'm not, so I'll leave it up to you and Spendi to point out the war crimes of the UK. Smile
spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:14 pm
@JTT,
There are a few unfortunate incidents in our history I will admit but at least we haven't got the Disease of Conceit. Our comedians see to it that we are reminded of our wankerdom status on a regular basis.

And we are subjects too. It's humiliating. And a good thing it is.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:14 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Yes--but the American public couldn't survive without the US Govt. either.

I'm not advocating no government, Spendi. I'm talking about a US government that even remotely approaches the one everyone erroneously brags about, the one that has never existed.

Quote:
And it may be necessary for the Govt. to engage in those things in order to assist the American people to survive or, at least, survive in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

That's the huge joke. All these crimes, all this terrorism hardly benefits the average Joe. They help to pay for the crimes but they don't get a share of the filthy lucre. Pretty damn stupid set of pirates, are they not?

Quote:
The idea that the Govt. has tricked its way into power (hoodwinked by lies and innuendos) is both an insult to the American people and a cloak to hide the responsibility they have incurred by their votes.

True dat.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:15 pm
@JTT,
I am not sure if you are into this but it covers much of what you talk about.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:17 pm
@spendius,
Perhaps you and Izzy are inured to the centuries of exploiting other countries, but there are some countries, obviously the poorer ones, that have to deal fairly with the world.

Hey, now there's a novel idea!
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:19 pm
In golf we have a line of reasoning that goes something like this:

If you are playing a match for money and your opposition is going to kick the ball out of tight spots; smooth out the sand in bunkers before playing a shot; and use gamesmanship distraction on the putting green…you sure as hell better be kicking the ball out of tight spots; smoothing sand in bunkers before playing your shots; and using as much gamesmanship as possible on the putting greens…

…or you are a loser.

You may be able to claim you are a loser by choice…and that your principles are intact, but...

...a loser with principles intact is still a loser.

Guys, my guess is that most Americans have decided that they want their government not to be a loser…and they would just as soon not know the details. My guess is most want us to be principled, but if everyone else is playing by other rules, we should play by those rules also--and principles be damned. I do think most want to think they are principled despite what I just said, though, so as I mentioned above, they’d just as soon not know the details.

The bottom line becomes: Yes, you are correct, we play dirty.

And???
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:29 pm
Quote:
The bottom line becomes: Yes, you are correct, we play dirty.

And???

And we are all behind in everything you can imagine because of this behavior.
Unbelievable amounts of wealth and lives have been lost.
If there is not a political way to build anything on the ground or in the air what makes us think that politics are going to solve any of society's economic or social problems?
I wonder if science could be used.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
Social science doesn't work, because they're manipulated by men.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
All science can be manipulated by men, Should we discontinue using all science for this reason?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
To carry your analogy further, though, I think the golfer playing dirty will soon find himself in a position where no one wants to play golf with him.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:37 pm
@reasoning logic,
Not all science can be "manipulated."
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It can in the sense you are describing or do I understand you incorrectly?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:41 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
To carry your analogy further, though, I think the golfer playing dirty will soon find himself in a position where no one wants to play golf with him.

You are correct. I wonder how long before other countries stop trading with us or no longer accept our currency.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
You won't have to worry about that in your lifetime.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 04:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You may be right. I have heard of other countries leaving the petrodollar but from what I understand we normally take out their governments when they do that.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 05:16 pm
@DrewDad,
What if he owns the only golf course?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 05:43 pm
Now you see what bloody silly answers the candidates have been giving to bloody silly questions for the entertainment of a bloody silly audience. Or if not seeing at least getting a bit of a glimpse of.

The way I see it is that Mr Santorum could meet Her Majesty The Queen is a reasonably dignified fashion. The other three are a joke.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 05:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
The US is still the strongest economy in the world. The US dollar on the world stage of currencies still has stability, because our economy is still strong and recovering well from the Great Recession - while Europe struggles.

China is not a threat; how many countries are going to be buying Chinese bonds? Most Chinese still live in poverty, and the middle class are beginning to feel the inflation from their high demand. Their real estate is experiencing the bubble that Japan, the US, and Europe experienced about five years ago, and most Chinese still earn a pittance compared to developed economies.

When the world economy slowed down, China's economy also shrank.
spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 05:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The US is still the strongest economy in the world.

But is it going to remain so. The Obama "bounce" is down to massive overspending by government. It's been tried before.

Pearl Harbour disguised the failure of the New Deal which was just about to be revealed.

There's nothing like a good old fashioned war.