The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's a CNNMoney article that explains why gas prices spiked up.

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -
Oil prices rose Monday after Iran cut exports to Britain and France, raising worries that higher gas prices may follow suit.

Iran's oil ministry said Sunday that it would stop exporting oil to French and British companies. The announcement came just days after Iran threatened to cut supplies to some European Union countries in retaliation for sanctions put in place by the EU and United States.

U.S. crude for April delivery jumped nearly 2% to $105.08 per barrel. Brent crude, Europe's benchmark, rose about 0.5% to $120.18 per barrel.

Those GOP ignoramuses are trying to blame Obama. They live in la-la land.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:35 pm
Back on topic.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/02/so_much_harder_than_it_looks.php?ref=fpblg

Quote:
TPM Editor’s Blog
So Much Harder Than It Looks
Josh Marshall February 20, 2012, 9:58 AM 8712

I still have an axiom for the 2012 nomination process: Mitt will be the nominee.

As I’ve noted repeatedly now, it’s just too late for anyone else to get in, if for nothing else simply because of the filing deadlines. But the other factor I keep coming back to is this: when the Savior candidate comes in, Mitt just says “Okay, cool. I’m still ahead in delegates. I’ve got tons of money. I’m not sure what else I’ll do with my life at this point beside do this. But sure, I’m just going to step aside now and become the only mulligan nominee in modern history.”

Really?

TPM Reader BM makes the same point and another that hadn’t even occurred to me.

Quote:
Reading articles like this, what no one will acknowledge is that if anyone did try to come in at the last minute, Romney’s money will make sure they are damaged goods in some form or another. If he has shown anything, it is that Romney is willing to spend alot of money to rough up his (financially weaker) opponents. Late entrants to the race would be weak financially. Romney would tar them in the media. The result is that they would lose their chance to become President.

No, the smart potential candidates are going to sit out 2012 and wait for the current field to clear out and go against a brand new Dem in 2016. It makes the most sense for them.

Tough beans for the GOP, though.

The last point is unquestionably true but I confess it hadn’t occurred to me. If you’re really a gold standard candidate, you’re going to step in to steer the half-capsized ship coming out of the epic crap-storm of a brokered convention?

Really?

So not going to happen.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
well i have my own theory on how things play out

on the eve of the convention, Romney will die of boredom, Gingrich will be in a body cast on life support after having been crushed by the weight of his own ego, Santorrum will be discovered to have had a long time homosexual affair (during which time he not only used condoms with his partner but procured him two abortions) and Paul will have been abducted by aliens

when the dust settles, the republican candidates will be none other than McCain and Palin

Obama romps to victory in November

the Civil War starts in December
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:41 pm
@djjd62,
The Civil War starts on the steps of the National Capitol when Obama is sworn into his second term. Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:50 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

well i have my own theory on how things play out

on the eve of the convention, Romney will die of boredom, Gingrich will be in a body cast on life support after having been crushed by the weight of his own ego, Santorrum will be discovered to have had a long time homosexual affair (during which time he not only used condoms with his partner but procured him two abortions) and Paul will have been abducted by aliens

when the dust settles, the republican candidates will be none other than McCain and Palin

Obama romps to victory in November

the Civil War starts in December

The aliens, as foretold by the Mayans, show up at the Inaugural ball, teach a new line dance that will become a National craze, and impregnate Nancy Pelosi with the new Messiah. You forgot that part
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think an arms dealer living in a tax haven is more to blame for the Iraq war than Joe Public USA.

I couldn't agree with you more, Izzy - except they don't exist in a vacuum. But the arms dealers couldn't survive without the assistance of the US government. The US government creates the arms dealers and they create the conditions so that the arms dealers can flourish.

I haven't blamed Joe Public, save for their lack of honesty. But that lack of honesty has come largely because of a lifetime of propaganda.

At the outset, many people just outright denied that the US has committed war crimes, that it constantly, daily, engages in terrorist actions. Gracie didn't believe it - she said that her history teacher, her damn history teacher knew nothing of this. Her own father, a well educated man, was also unaware.

Even Cycloptichorn, a fella well versed in the facts, tried to deny that the US government committed terrorist actions. You wouldn't believe the lame argument he put forward, and of course he refused to even discuss it because he knew he was dead wrong.

Note that now, there is no one denying the facts, except for a few wingnuts like Okie, even Mysteryman knows of the truth. All we've seen is Plan B shoot the messenger.

It's the same tactic used with anyone who lays out the facts. Noam Chomsky uses US government source material. The few honest CIA guys do the same. They'd be in jail if they used secret information from their careers. They use government information that clearly illustrates that successive US governments have committed heinous war crimes and acts of terrorism, all the while duping their citizenry and a large chunk of the world.

The problem I have with the Joe Publics are those who get on their high horse about the US being the white knight, the hypocrites who rail against the very dictators that their governments have put in place.

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:55 pm
@djjd62,
You're unusually erudite today, djjd.
djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:57 pm
@JTT,
to be erudite is to be divine

provided you erudite on the side of caution
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@JTT,
We seem to have reached an accord. Isn't it part of human nature to think of yourself in the best possible light. When I was at school the British Empire was all Doctor Livingstone, and civilising the 'dark continent.' We've moved on a lot since then, but we're still more comfortable talking about British Concentration Camps in the Boer War, than the Suez Crisis or the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:03 pm
@djjd62,
Now, that's a word I haven't seen in a long time; "erudite."
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:05 pm
@izzythepush,
there's a difference thinking about yourself in the best light (though i don't believe its the best policy) and thinking of your government in the best light, something only fools will even begin attempt
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:07 pm
@djjd62,
Unless you live in North Korea, and have a death wish.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:22 pm
@High Seas,
90%?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Stupid describes the majority of the U.S. electorate.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:27 pm
@RABEL222,
I agree; they're being hoodwinked all the time with lies and innuendos, and they don't know the difference.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 02:28 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
But the arms dealers couldn't survive without the assistance of the US government. The US government creates the arms dealers and they create the conditions so that the arms dealers can flourish.

Yes--but the American public couldn't survive without the US Govt. either. And it may be necessary for the Govt. to engage in those things in order to assist the American people to survive or, at least, survive in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

The idea that the Govt. has tricked its way into power (hoodwinked by lies and innuendos) is both an insult to the American people and a cloak to hide the responsibility they have incurred by their votes.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 02:34 pm
@spendius,
There's also the fear of job losses, and the need for a country to stay ahead of the game, which involves having to sell stuff to regimes like Saudi Arabia.

Fear is a powerful emotion, and the arms industry is hard-wired into it.
spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 02:53 pm
@izzythepush,
The productive capacity has far outreached the population's capacity to consume it. The Luddite option being the only one to avoid necessary penetration of foreign markets and the protection of them.

Did you ever see "outfront" men and women on Blackpool Front who go to the lengths the performers in ads go to? And in plenty enough programmes as well.
spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 02:55 pm
@spendius,
At least most of us knew that the Blackpool Front crew were spivs.
spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 03:49 pm
@spendius,
The No 1 spiv in my book is Mr Alan Titchmarsh. He has sold some stuff. The art has been perfected, almost, since Percy Thrower showed what could be done with TV. If he didn't look so absolutely phoney and shifty he would be PM one day.
0 Replies