The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

High Seas

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:07 pm
@revelette,
I think the nominee will be Gingrich - and I also think he's the one with the best chance of beating Obama, a very weak candidate but with the enormous advantage of incumbency aka inertia. Santorum is also a possibility. Romney is detested by the true conservatives for reasons going back decades, back to his dad leading the charge against Barry Goldwater's nomination in the 1964 convention. We have very, very, very long memories Smile
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
That makes no sense. You asserted there was a method. I've asked you to offer it for consideration.

And I have told you. Whatever floats your boat plus determination to avoid unwanted pregnancy. I can only answer what floats my boat and I'm not going to do that.

I have acknowledged nothing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:10 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

I think the nominee will be Gingrich - and I also think he's the one with the best chance of beating Obama, a very weak candidate but with the enormous advantage of incumbency aka inertia. Santorum is also a possibility. Romney is detested by the true conservatives for reasons going back decades, back to his dad leading the charge against Barry Goldwater's nomination in the 1964 convention. We have very, very, long memories Smile

The delegate math would be really hard for Gingrich to work out, before the convention; I'm not sure I see a clear path for him to win. And his numbers vs. Obama are horrible, he does worse than anyone - even Paul

I mean, heck:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_gingrich_vs_obama-1453.html

+14 point lead by Obama. That's double the other candidates!

Given how Goldwater's nomination turned out, have you considered that maybe Romney's dad wasn't all that wrong?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:12 pm
@High Seas,
You might have a very long memory, but most conservatives have already forgotten that GW Bush was responsible for our current economic problems.

It's a miracle that Obama has been able to accomplish as much as he has under the No Party platforms. With their disapproval of the debt ceiling, our bond rating dropped from triple A to double A.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:13 pm
@High Seas,
You are a sick sick woman, Ann.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Congratulations, Frank. I believe you're the very first one to break through spendi's facade of "I know it all!"

Phooey!! Some people here obviously know what I mean.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The delegate math works out fine if Gingrich can make it to Texas (we're assuming he wins in Georgia, a winner-take-all primary, and does reasonably well in proportional allocations in the other states). Perry is campaigning hard for him. The Republican strategists I know well think he can make it all the way.

As to your question on the 1964 election, weren't you a fan of Mrs. Clinton at some point? She campaigned very hard as a "Goldwater Girl".
roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:21 pm
@High Seas,
Why on earth are you talking about delagate math on a thread called The Republican Nomination for President?

Seriously, we may have lost realjohnboy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:25 pm
@roger,
Mr. Green Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 12:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Why on earth are you talking about delagate math on a thread called The Republican Nomination for President?

Maybe because the delegate math determines the Republican nomination for president?
revelette

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 01:19 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
The Republican strategists I know well think he can make it all the way.

Where would those republican be, on the moon where Gingrich hopes to make a new colony by the end of his imagined second term?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 01:33 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
I think the nominee will be Gingrich...

ALL THIS IS OPINION:

I have been of he opinion that Gingrich will be the nominee all along...although I have got to hedge that a bit now, because he seems determined to do more damage to himself than his detractors are able to do to him.

He still may pull it out. No way the Republicans want a wimp for their nominee...they want someone who eats bloody red meat. Gingrich is a bulldog, and the conservatives like bulldogs.

Romney is the least likely of the present Republican candidates to get elected. The "Mormon" problem is more than most want to acknowledge. It is more evident on the Republican/conservative side of the fence, but make no mistake about it, it will rear its ugly head among the general voting population in large doses.

Santorum is a caricature of a politician. I cannot conceive of why the Republicans are actually considering him, but in the end, I say he tanks.

Ron Paul is a joke candidate...and the best thing he can do for the country is (after his rejection by the Republicans) to make a serious effort as a third party candidate. That will help Obama win re-election. (Maybe preventing him from doing that is the reason for this continuing circus.)
revelette

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I have been searching sites for any analysts who thinks Gingrich still has a chance despite his really bad poll numbers. Not having much luck, came accross some suggestions though.

Quote:
1. Trash the Trump Endorsement
2. Be Unrelenting About ‘Safety Net’ Gaffe
3. Talk Less Reagan, Moon Base
4. Show Softer Side
5. Release the ‘Kraken’ At Next Debate

source

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:19 pm
@revelette,
Well, Gingrich certainly seems dead in the water...and I am not entirely sure this is not by choice. It is not impossible that he is in this for the publicity only (or merely to keep that bitchy wife of his happy)...and that if elected, his first move would be to demand a re-count.

As for the "advice"...ahhh, he cannot trash the “Trump endorsement”, because Trump endorsed Romney.

“Showing softer side” seems a loser to me for the reasons I gave.

“Releasing the Kraken” seems to be all he has been doing right along.

I still refuse to count him out completely, although I would love to. I honestly think the Republican nominee will be the winner…no matter who he/she is. And the last thing I want in this world is for Newt Gingrich to have his finger on the trigger.

We’ll see.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't see how Newt can get the support of conservatives. He was charged with an ethics violation as speaker, and his downward trend since then doesn't seem there's any support left from the party. Even if they hold their nose, the stench will remain.
roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

roger wrote:

Maybe because the delegate math determines the Republican nomination for president?

Sorry. I forgot to add the SARCASM EMOTICON. I'll try to keep that in mind for future reference. Anyhow, we're moving away from natural vs artifical contraception. This is good.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:24 pm
@roger,
Hey, I knew it was sarcasm! Mr. Green
roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm grateful it was clear to someone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I don't see how Newt can get the support of conservatives. He was charged with an ethics violation as speaker, and his downward trend since then doesn't seem there's any support left from the party. Even if they hold their nose, the stench will remain.

I'm kinda hoping this is sarcasm also, ci...or irony.

What you are saying is that Gingrich is a HYPOCRITE. Hell, there is nothing that appeals more to conservatives than hypocrisy. Or so it seems to me. Yup, hypocrite Gingrich and the conservative base: A match made in Heaven.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
From fishink,
Quote:
Newt Gingrich’s Biggest Problems Illustrated
Posted on January 28, 2012 by admin
Aside from his pathological lying and hallucinatory approach to history, of course.

1. With his attacks on Romney, Newt has turned the Republican debates into a ‘who’s the bigger asshole’ forum. (Stop fighting guys; you’re both right!) It seems President Obama goes up in the polls after every GOP debate and Newt clearly exposes what greedy, nasty hypocritical bastards the Republicans really are. Please keep it up, Newt!

Typical meme on Newt. The GOP leaders don't like Newt. How can he possibly get any support from the party he's supposed to be representing?
0 Replies