The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:55 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Anyhow, we're moving away from natural vs artifical contraception. This is good.

It was a damn sight more interesting than the ridiculous kites being flown now.

Quote:
Sorry. I forgot to add the SARCASM EMOTICON. I'll try to keep that in mind for future reference.

Quote:
Well, Gingrich certainly seems dead in the water...

Quote:
,I don't see how Newt can get the support of conservatives.

Very memorable I must say.

Don't worry old boy--the party'll pick up when I put some more rum in the punch.

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 03:20 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Anyhow, we're moving away from natural vs artificial contraception. This is good.

It was a damn sight more interesting than the ridiculous kites being flown now.

I am sure you could start a more interesting thread which would attract a rapt audience clinging to your every word. Try it. Have you ever started a thread?
It can be a humbling experience.

The Republican establishment has asked the media to stop using the phrase "brokered convention." That suggests that someone is in control. The new term is "contested convention."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 03:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
That's probably more accurate anyway.

I find the idea that Gingrich could win enough delegates to clinch the deal before the convention to be extremely far-fetched. I've played with the numbers and they simply aren't favorable to him - he would have to pull off improbable wins in a variety of states in order to do so.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 03:29 pm
@realjohnboy,
That's interesting; they try to promote the idea that the conservatives are for less government intervention into private lives, but they continue to influence legislation and the media that controls other people's lives. I don't think they know what they are doing; they are lost in their own message.

They're trying to push the idea that contraception is a religious issue, but many Catholic women already use contraception. Some require contraception for medical reasons.

The GOP is going to push the idea that Obama is to blame for high gas prices, but the president has very little influence on gas prices. It's determined by supply, demand, and speculation, and the past government subsidies and/or taxes - which both parties are responsible for.

I just wonder what they'll attack Obama for next time? The improving economy? Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 04:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
Tell you what, John. If they don't want to suggest they (we Sad ) don't have anyone in control, they are off to a flying start.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 04:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The issue may be the delegates that aren't committed to a specific candidate. If no one gets enough committed delegates based on those states that require delegates to vote a certain way, then it comes down to the super delegates and the uncommitted ones from mostly caucus states like MN where Santorum won but has no committed delegates. It's only at later district and state conventions that delegate counts will start to firm up. If Santorum implodes he could end up with no delegates and they might move to Gingrich.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 04:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's interesting; they try to promote the idea that the conservatives are for less government intervention into private lives, but they continue to influence legislation and the media that controls other people's lives. I don't think they know what they are doing; they are lost in their own message.

They are seeking office in order to influence legislation etc. They are control freaks. Think how much you would like to be signing Executive Orders with cameras running and flash bulbs popping. I read somewhere recently that the President has to sign hundreds of documents every day.

When Boss Jim Smith visited Woodrow Wilson in his study at Princeton to persuade him to run for president he said to his colleagues afterwards--" Can you imagine anyone being damn fool enough to give up this for the heartaches of politics?"

I assume control freakery hadn't been invented then.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 04:13 pm
@spendius,
You're wrong! I don't enjoy controlling anything - even my own IRA retirement holdings. It has done very well, and my funds are already up 6.24% for YTD; enough to let me continue my travels.
Since I retired in 1998, I've tried my best to remove most things I needed to "control," such as income property.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 04:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They're trying to push the idea that contraception is a religious issue, but many Catholic women already use contraception. Some require contraception for medical reasons.

Totally irrelevant as somebody has already said. bvt I think.

Some Democrats will be fiddling their expenses and their customers and neighbours if they can find a way.

C is only a religious issue indirectly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 04:53 pm
@spendius,
You wrote,
Quote:
C is only a religious issue indirectly.

Is that why bishops are against it?
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 05:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes. It's no ******* good. You don't think they are against it out of sheer bloody-mindedness do you? It reduces women to receptacles.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 06:02 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You don't think they are against it out of sheer bloody-mindlessness do you?

I thought that it was something close to that or that they are control freaks. It reminds me of women being property.
It is hard to let go of that control when you had some form of it for so long.
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 06:09 pm
@reasoning logic,
I know who the misogynists are rl. It's the ones continually squawking about other people being. As if words can prove they are not.

We have discussed control before. Do you want none of it? If you do life must be exceedingly trying.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 06:19 pm
@spendius,
Spendius I just do not see where it is any of my business to make things harder to where good christian folks like you have to decide on which door you are going to be entering. The front door or the back door. I know how 100% absolute certain you like to be about things. Wink
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 06:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
You are not organising a culture rl. It simplifies things for you despite the frustrations.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 09:36 pm
@spendius,
Here's a new charge against Obama.

Quote:
Santorum questions Obama's Christian values

I think this is more entertainment than a circus. The freaks we get who run for the highest office of the land is most amusing. We've already talked about contraceptives and Gingrich's "pathological lying and hallucinatory approach to history," we can only wonder what else we will hear and see inside this circus tent.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 10:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Santorum has now criticized Obama on public schools. I wonder if he knows that public schools in the US were established long before any one of us were born?

Santorum seems to be shooting from the hips not knowing what or where he's
shooting!

It seems to me that much of his bullets will backfire on him. That's if the American people knows how strange this guy is accusing Obama about our public school system.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 05:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
I have questioned Mr Obama's Christian values. And he is not the only one.

The story of Mr Obama fleeing a stag party when a stripper stepped onto the stage is very revealing too. That and his stealth tax bribe on contraception suggest that he is an un-Christian puritan.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I find the idea that Gingrich could win enough delegates to clinch the deal before the convention to be extremely far-fetched.

Cycloptichorn

It is not just Gingrich, Cyclo and Parados. I found this on when the delegates are passed out:
delegates awarded prior to Super Tuesday- 15%
delegates awarded on Super Tuesday- 19% (= 34% cumulative)
delegates awarded through the rest of March- 17% (= 51%)
delegates awarded in April- 21% (72%)
delegates awarded in May- 12% (84%)
delegates awarded in June- 15% (100%)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 07:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Here's a new charge against Obama.
Quote:
Santorum questions Obama's Christian values
Did he say which values? If he's talking about Kindness and Charity and Compassion and things like that, then those aren't "christian" values, those are just good behavior. Christianity doesn't get to claim ownership of good behavior just because their book talks about them.