The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:13 pm
@JTT,
H2O Man does.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:17 pm
I have a question about some recent development I must have missed: Why is it that everything is suddenly on a first-name basis with Newt Gingrich? Even in this thread, I'm seeing him called "Newt" by resolute Democrats who have no feelings of intimacy for this candidate. Have those posters and Mr Gingrich attended some love-in I don't know about?
engineer

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:24 pm
@Thomas,
Newt is kind of like Madonna in that he routinely goes by his first name. It goes back many years; it's not just recent.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:28 pm
@Thomas,
Ha, Thomas. I do often refer to them as Newt and Mitt. I don't know why. The names are shorter than Gingrich and Romney, of course. And, I guess, Newt and Mitt are amusing names in a presidential race.
It could also be an American quirk where formality is not a real big thing. An interesting question.
Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I do often refer to them as Newt and Mitt. I don't know why.

You mean they're like Andy and Opie? I understand Andie and Opie. Squinney and BiPolarBear showed them to me in Raleigh. I wouldn't know their last names either.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:23 pm
@Thomas,
Someone posted an interview with Newton Gingrich's lesbian sister - where she stressed that it's actually pronounced GingricK. Or is that an affectation she's adopted to distance herself from him?
snood

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:31 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I have a question about some recent development I must have missed: Why is it that everything is suddenly on a first-name basis with Newt Gingrich? Even in this thread, I'm seeing him called "Newt" by resolute Democrats who have no feelings of intimacy for this candidate. Have those posters and Mr Gingrich attended some love-in I don't know about?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I mean it neither as a show of respect or affection, but in the time-tested, old-fashioned way that's delivered with cynicism and mock-familiarity in the precious hope that a special contempt is conveyed... all without using too much energy or too many syllables.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:09 pm
@Thomas,
Perhaps Christine O'Donnell turned him into a newt.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:18 pm
@hingehead,
Christopher Hitchens, Hinge.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:21 pm
Thanks, engineer, RealJohnnyBoy, Hingehead, Snood, and JTT!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:26 pm
what snood said, same reason I often call him Willard.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:58 am
Rising Gingrich Catching Up With Romney in Florida, Poll Shows

Romney Stronger Obama Foe Than Gingrich in Florida, Poll Shows

This is weird. You would assume when they are polling these people and some people favor Gingrich they know that Obama beats Gingrich in most polls but Romney either come a bit ahead or ties with Obama.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:04 am
Related to Romney

Quote:
During an interview with Univision, Romney was pressed on whether it was fair for him to pay about 13 percent of his income in taxes — as he did in 2010, according to his recently released tax returns — when many middle class families pay far more. Romney proceeded to claim that his actual rate is “closer to 45 or 50 percent.”

To justify his figure, Romney relied on his belief that “corporations are people.” When Univision’s Jorge Ramos asked Romney if his 13 percent tax rate is “fair,” Romney suggested adding the maximum corporate tax rate (35 percent) to his personal taxes to calculate his real rate:

RAMOS: You just released your tax returns. In 2010 you only paid 13 percent of taxes while most Americans paid much more than that. Is that fair?

ROMNEY: Well, actually, I released two years of taxes and I think the average is almost 15 percent. And then also, on top of that, I gave another more 15 percent to charity. When you add it together with all of the taxes and the charity, particularly in the last year, I think it reaches almost 40 percent that I gave back to the community. One of the reasons why we have a lower tax rate on capital gains is because capital gains are also being taxed at the corporate level. So as businesses earn profits, that’s taxed at 35 percent, then as they distribute those profits as dividends, that’s taxed at 15 percent more. So, all total, the tax rate is really closer to 45 or 50 percent.

RAMOS: But is it fair what you pay, 13 percent, while most pay much more than that?

ROMNEY: Well, again, I go back to the point that the, that the funds are being taxed twice at two different levels.

Romney glosses over the fact that he is not a corporation and doesn’t pay corporate taxes. Additionally, most corporations pay far lower than a 35 percent rate. In fact, many profitable corporations pay nothing at all.

In the alternative, Romney suggested that his tax rate should be considered “almost 40 percent” because he gave a substantial amount of money to charity, mostly to the Mormon church. Romney should be lauded for his charitable contributions — and received a tax deduction for them — but charitable contributions are not taxes.

links at the source

Romney Tax Break Rejected as Welfare for Rich in Investor Poll

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:17 am
@revelette,
It really makes no sense. If the company I work for pays taxes on its profits (and it does) and then pays me out of what's left, do I pay 15%??

No.

And I claim what I give to charity as a deduction which reduces my taxable amount.
Doesn't Mitt?

Joe(It's as if the 1% are on another planet.)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:20 am
@Thomas,
I am going to start using the more formal names:

Newton and Mitten.

Joe(necessarily in that order)Nation
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:28 am
@revelette,
Quote:
. One of the reasons why we have a lower tax rate on capital gains is because capital gains are also being taxed at the corporate level.

Unless what you're talking about is 'carried interest,' which accounts for about half of Romney's yearly income, which is NOT taxed on the corporate level.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:29 am
@Thomas,
Personally, I'm able to spell "Newt" easily, but "Gingrich" requires effort.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:31 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(It's as if the 1% are on another planet.)Nation

I think it's a case of cognitive dissonance.

In their narrative, they're the good guys. Good guys pay their fair share. Therefore, they must be paying their fair share.... somehow.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:06 am
@Joe Nation,
I am not the quickest when it comes to economics, but, I am not sure what his figuring is. I mean he makes it seem likes the taxes the corporation he draws interest off of comes out of his own pocket therefore can be counted as his taxes. Is that a reasonable argument or not?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:25 am
@revelette,
"Double taxation" is a buzzword that people use who have a lot of stocks.

By owning stock in a corporation, they are part owners. If the corporation has profits, and pays taxes on that profit, then they argue that taxing the dividends paid to stockholders is "double taxation."

0 Replies