The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 01:11 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Wonder what it is about some of these conservatives that gives them that sour lemon look? Guess it is better than Cantor's stone cold look.

I think it's concentration. I have no incentive to say this because I'm not a Republican. Indeed, I approve of Obama's message yesterday. But if I was the senator leading my party's caucus, and if C-Span pointed their camera at me, they would show me with exactly the same face. I'm sitting there in my professional capacity, knowing that the media will start quizzing me immediately after the speech is over, trying to absorb the president's talking points, simultaneously developing my own talking-counterpoints. This kind of work takes extreme concentration. It's inevitable that my face would reflect that.

Actually, it's worse: If I were in Cantor's place, I wouldn't just be making Cantor's face. I'd be making it while poking my nose! That's too much information, I know, and I'm not proud of it. But I do it subconsciously, and I can't control it when I focus on content of any kind. I am certain I would do much worse than Cantor.

I believe these images should remind us of a broader point: Never judge a politician by the supposedly-revealing anecdote or the supposedly-candid snapshot. These things are treacherous.
revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 01:47 pm
@Thomas,
I know---i just found it kinda funny. Apparently there are people who watch the SOTU just to watch the audience.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:35 pm
Very few things spectacular in last night's SotU, IMO. Obama said some good things I like, but in general they were sandwiched into a speech using more language from the GOP lexicon. My suspicion is that in choosing his words in such a way, if the GOP chooses to bite at him, they'll largely nip their own fingers. Tonight is another debate, and it's pretty much a night off for all four candidates. They will focus less on each other and more on their anti-Obama-isms.

The SotU was medicore, and it's not going to effect the GOP race much. Daniels's and Cain's responses won't do much either. I'm calling this a net zero event on the campaign trail for 2012.

For 2016, it might however be more significant. If Daniels doesn't Jindal, he can gain some long range loyalty for the next race. My opinion is that most of the "best" (define that as you wish) GOP candidates are waiting this one out because (1) incumbent Presidents are hard to beat, and (2) Obama is too well positioned. I imagine many figure it's better to play their hand later.

There are many big events to come that can make news on the GOP side of the house. While Newt or Romney may take it, they will at some point have to deal with Paul. In the case of Virginia, Ron Paul will get an uptick in press even if he loses, and having to deal with his delegates at the RNC won't be easy for Newton or Willard.

A
R
T
revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:40 pm
Quote:
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney leads former House Speaker Newt Gingrich by two points in Florida, a margin well within a new poll's margin of error, reflecting a close race in the key primary.

Thirty-six percent of Republicans likely to vote in Florida's primary said they intend to vote forRomney; 34 percent would choose Gingrich, according to a CNN/TIME/ORC poll released Wednesday.

source

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:50 pm
@failures art,
The impression I have is that while it was ho-hum for the base types, as an element of the 2012 campaign if was very effective. For example, check out this chart re: 50 independent voters watching the SOTU:

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e201630019fd41970d-550wi

Those are some big jumps.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:52 pm
@sozobe,
I thought so t00!

http://able2know.org/topic/165850-275#post-4874056

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:54 pm
@sozobe,
This chart can't be posted often enough for the likes of waterboy.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
he can read a chart?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:58 pm
@Rockhead,
My bad. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

he can read a chart?

Maybe. But he certainly won't understand it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oops, sorry I missed it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 05:05 pm
Statistical tie between Mitt and Newt in FL.

Quote:
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney leads former House Speaker Newt Gingrich by two points in Florida, a margin well within a new poll's margin of error, reflecting a close race in the key primary.

Thirty-six percent of Republicans likely to vote in Florida's primary said they intend to vote for Romney; 34 percent would choose Gingrich, according to a CNN/TIME/ORC poll released Wednesday. More
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:16 pm
@JPB,
That should get Newt's backers digging deeper.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:18 pm
@spendius,
Obama people are praying that Newt wins the GOP nomination. Nobody -- but nobody -- believes that he is actually electable. Mitt Romney would be a helluva lot harder to defeat at the egenral election polls.
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's as maybe Andrei. The milking machine is not a maybe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:44 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Nobody -- but nobody -- believes that he is actually electable. Mitt Romney would be a helluva lot harder to defeat at the egenral election polls
Then the core"burn yer hair" GOPers would sit around and stew that they just backed a liberal for president.
Politics is so much fun. Im having aball listening to H2O man try to sound intelligent on some other threads. Hes a dyed in the wall TEA bagger.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:50 pm
I read somewhere, can't remember where, Mitt Romney only released 2 years worth of tax returns showing he made $42 million and thats in the worst economy, can you imagine if he released 10 years worth going back to 2002 during the height of the bogus boom. Obama released 10 years worth of tax returns. Interesting!
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:55 pm
@jcboy,
I was in college when Nixon (who refused to relese his early tax forms) finally manned up and released em. He got his ass in trouble for some uh,, improprieties. They didnt call him the tricky dick for nothin.
jcboy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:04 pm
@farmerman,
Just maybe Mitt will become known as a tricky two incher Cool
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
His wives might think he is delectable - no scratch that - they must have married him for his money.

No one could think Newt was delectable.