The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 07:49 pm
@jcboy,
What's so obvious to most rational people doesn't seem to impact the conservatives who continues to advocate for more tax cuts for the rich.

That's one of the reasons this country is has such a huge national debt.
jcboy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 08:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We’re watching the state of the union address. I noticed John Boehner isn't wearing an American flag as a lapel pin; didn’t he give Obama hell about that once? He's a damn hypocrite!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 08:45 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Mitt Romney 2012 tax returns reveal that the former Massachusetts governor donated more than $4 million to the Mormon Church, which is actively opposing marriage equality around the country. Last night, CNN reported that the Romneys’ Tyler Charitable Foundation also gave to the anti-gay Massachusetts Family Institute over a period of several years. The group opposes same-sex marriage in the state and warns parents about literature that promotes so-called “pro-homosexual books” to school children. If he wins we might move to Canada, do they allow Puerto Ricans in Canada? Cool
Will u remain, if Newt wins??
Remember: Florida is a lot closer to DisneyWorld than Canadia is.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:10 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Addendum Roger - I guess my main point is that a lot more people will be asking the same questions - because of Mitt's run - and I was wondering how the Church felt about that.

I think tithing is kind of expected in most Churches. For the Church of Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ, it is more like a reality. I don't think they spend a lot of time pondering the questions of gentiles.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:42 am
Mitch Daniels has been mentioned here as a possible draft republican candidate, I am a partisan democrat so of course I was a bit underwhelmed with his response after the SOTU. But what if anything did anyone else think?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:04 am

Obama's SOTU campaign speech was underwhelming, this country is doomed if Obama is elected to a second term
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:30 am
@revelette,
I'm curious too, thanks for asking.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:46 am
@hingehead,
kind of off topic, but if I am understanding your question, depends on the church's doctrine. Church of Christ has a different doctrine than the Church of Christ of latter day saints and even in the Church of Christ it is divided between liberal and conservative doctrine. The liberal church believes in giving money for things or causes outside of the needy saints but the conservative church of Christ does not. (I belong to the last)

My view is that when any church gives to any political end, they have given up their independence and should be subject to taxes. (render the things unto Caesar...)
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:50 am
@revelette,
Good question, deserving of lots of responses instead of whoever is voting it down.

What did I think of Daniels?

Joe(zzzzzZZZZzzzzzzzsnicksnickzzzzzzzz)Nation
engineer

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:55 am
@revelette,
I think if the Republicans are going to get all the way through the primary season only to draft a dark horse at the convention then we are looking at someone like Christie. You could see something like that if Romney rolls towards the nomination but just can't get the conservatives to fall in line. I also think the attack like a mad man mode he has gone into in Florida doesn't suit him. It suits Gingrich fine because that is all he does but I think Romney did better staying above the fray and hitting at the President than screaming in the trenches with Gingrich. Heck, Santorum acts like the sane one now.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:06 am
@Joe Nation,
guess the thumbs down didn't show up on my screen. I figured the off the topic would have gotten a thumbs down, felt it as I wrote it, but, my guess, h2guy.
JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:10 am
@revelette,
didn't vote it down but would have suggested a different thread for the question. That said, I didn't listen to the SotU address or the remarks following it so I have no comment. I'll read them both in full eventually but I pretty much discount any response to a speech that's recorded before the speech is given. It's generally all pablum and talking points on both sides.
sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:20 am
@JPB,
I think the question totally fits with the "Republican Nomination for President: The Race for the Race for the White House" -- did Mitch Daniels' stock rise or fall with that response to the SOTU?

If it rises a lot, that could be interesting in terms of the race.

So far the response I've seen has been pretty good, curious about what people here think.
revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:27 am

full text

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:28 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I think the question totally fits with the "Republican Nomination for President: The Race for the Race for the White House" -- did Mitch Daniels' stock rise or fall with that response to the SOTU?

If it rises a lot, that could be interesting in terms of the race.

So far the response I've seen has been pretty good, curious about what people here think.

Meh. Conservatives were seeing little starbursts on their screens while watching him, but he doesn't have the organization, personal gravitas, or deep support from the GOP base to effectively mount a dark-horse run at the convention.

The overwhelming likelihood is that Romney will have won by that point, and my guess is that most Republicans will have come to terms with that by then.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
At this point, pretty much nobody can jump in and win the nomination via a regular primary -- too many deadlines have passed to even get names on the ballot, for example.

I find the brokered convention idea to pretty far-fetched too, but it's at least possible.

So, my interest is not really about whether Mitch Daniels can be the nominee, but what the reaction is, for what it indicates about the race in general.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Right.

There's a great cartoon in this week's New Yorker; it shows a yard that says:

Quote:
Oh, alright. Fine.
Romney

Joe(about sums it up.)Nation
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:46 am
Boehner wasn't very happy with the content of last night's speech -

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e20168e60f279c970c-550wi

I suspect that the populist protectionist rhetoric Obama employed polls very, very well - and would be opposed very, very strongly by companies who currently outsource their labor as a matter of course. And Obama's time talking about drilling for natural gas on federal lands (which made me pretty unhappy) plays against their notion that he is a 'job-killer' in the energy sector.

Cycloptichorn
revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:50 am

There has been some fact checking on both Obama SOTU and Mitch Daniels rebuttal. Stretching of the truth in both. I am particularly interested in the Steve Jobs comment.

Truth Squad: Fact checking the State of the Union address

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:58 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Mitch Daniels has been mentioned here as a possible draft republican candidate, I am a partisan democrat so of course I was a bit underwhelmed with his response after the SOTU. But what if anything did anyone else think?

I disagree with him on his call for Medicare reform, which he didn't specify but sounded like an endorsement of the Ryan plan. But at least he proved himself able to talk for five minutes without getting overtly vile and dishonest. This alone puts him head and shoulders above all the actual Republican candidates. Of course, this only reflects my soft bigotry of low expectations, not an actual endorsement. Or as John Steward would say, it's like calling someone the most reasonable pundit at Fox News, or the skinniest kid in fat camp.
0 Replies