The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I've heard on tv that Romney probably has the best chance against Obama, but I'm not so sure the majority of conservatives are ready for a Mormon.

Especially one who's got a Massachusetts background. Those two Ms are likely to kill 'im.
sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Against Obama, yeah. The question is, who else? Who would do better?

That's the eternal dance here, as the Republicans don't want Mitt but can't find anyone to take his place as the nominee.
Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
You've done an excellent job with this thread, RJB. I don't drop in often, because it was getting derailed so consistently, but when i see that you have posted, or a few others, i do drop in to read. There is much good material in this thread, and it has faithfully chronicled the bizarre course of the nomination race over the last year.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:19 pm
@sozobe,
I'm excited to see how it turns out next week!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's 3 M's: Mitt, MA, and Mormon. ugh!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:20 pm
@sozobe,
I wonder if Romney's choice of VP would win some over. Has he thrown any names out there yet?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:35 pm
@Irishk,
It seems Bachmann lost key staffers.
Irishk

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I confess I haven't been keeping up. Other than to wish it will all be over, soon.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:48 pm
Mitt's real problem is P for personality. Awful man
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:50 pm
@Irishk,
Christie could move the game.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 08:58 pm
@Irishk,
I can't imagine anyone wanting to be President. Vice ought to be even worse.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 10:23 pm
@roger,
The GOP candidates believe they will have unlimited power as the chief executive - according to this NYT article. Forget about our Constitution, and congress.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/us/politics/gop-field-has-broad-views-on-executive-power.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1325218876-qqKlG45YnH7VyL7X9nwstw
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 12:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
The latest news; super pacs add millions against Newt. He's toast.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:10 am
@Irishk,
Quote:
I confess I haven't been keeping up. Other than to wish it will all be over, soon.

There's a theory that it won't be over until the interlude of dithering and dallying ends in a Caesar.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 08:34 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
!
Quote:
realjohnboy wrote:

Rick Perry tonight, according to the AP (via Politico) has experienced a "transforming" event in his life. Right before the Iowa caucus, which is now just a week away.
Perry, who previously believed that abortions after pregnancies as a result of incest or rape should be allowed today tells an evangelical minister in Iowa that he has has seen the light. All abortions should be illegal.

Any man that thinks he can dictate to a women what she can do or not do with her body needs to get out of goverment
revelette

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:03 am
I think we can pretty much agree, Rick Perry don't belong in government for a bunch of reasons mostly having to do with being clueless. (my granddaughter picked the i's and u's off the keyboard and lost them. Never realized how much those two letters are used)

anyway...
Here's another one

Quote:
Texas Gov. Rick Perry admitted Thursday that he didn’t know about the Supreme Court case Lawrence v. Texas, a case decided while he was governor which struck down the state’s anti-sodomy law and similar laws in 13 others.

A voter at a meet and greet asked him to defend his criticism of limited government in the case.

“I wish I could tell you I knew every Supreme Court case. I don’t, I’m not even going to try to go through every Supreme Court case, that would be — I’m not a lawyer,” Perry said at the Blue Strawberry Coffee Shop here. “We can sit here and you know play I gotcha questions on what about this Supreme Court case or whatever, but let me tell you, you know and I know that the problem in this country is spending in Washington, D.C., it’s not some Supreme Court case.”

In 2003, the Supreme Court deemed Texas’ anti-sodomy law to be unconstitutional in a 6-3 ruling in Lawrence v. Texas, and the case nullified anti-sodomy laws in 13 other states at the same time. Perry, a strong opponent of gay marriage and the ability of homosexuals to serve openly in the military, served as governor when this case was decided.

Asked by Ken Herman, a columnist with the Austin American Statesman, for clarification on whether he knew what the case concerned, Perry responded, “I’m not taking the bar exam…I don’t know what a lot of legal cases involve.”
When told that the Supreme Court case struck down the Texas sodomy law, Perry said, “My position on traditional marriage is clear and I don’t know need a law. I don’t need a federal law case to explain it to me.”

The Texas governor referenced Lawrence v. Texas in his 2010 book Fed Up!, calling it one of the court cases in which “Texans have a different view of the world than do the nine oligarchs in robes.”

Perry had a previous Supreme Court trip up earlier in the month when he misstated the number of justices on the Supreme Court and stumbled over the name of Justice Sotomayor during an editorial board meeting with the Des Moines Register.

source

I would have drawn a blank too but I would like a President more up to date than me. I mean it was his state while he was governor of that state and kinda a memorable issue with such a backward law being overturned. Not to mention he already knew it once because he referenced in his book fed up.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:13 am
They said on CBS News last night that nearly 180 policemen had been killed on duty in the last year. Half of them by gunshots.

If that was happening here it would be the only item being discussed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:20 am
@jcboy,
They don't understand simple concepts such as to leave women alone on how they treat their own bodies. This from the party of "less government intrusion into private lives." They don't even understand their own contradictions!
JTT

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They don't even understand their own contradictions!

That seems something that afflicts a large part of the entire country, CI.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 10:50 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

They said on CBS News last night that nearly 180 policemen had been killed on duty in the last year. Half of them by gunshots.

If that was happening here it would be the only item being discussed.

If we had as many people hurt by Glassing here, it would be the only thing we discussed.

Every country has their problems, it seems - the Americans are lax on gun laws, and you bunch have a serious drug and alcohol problem.

Cycloptichorn