The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not having a lot of guile, however refreshing, is a GIANT NO NO imo and the position of the guy on this stage suggests that guile is one of his strong suits assuming he has some others. It is difficult to imagine him getting this far without a great big dollop of guile being his most developed accomplishment.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 07:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you have against Ron Paul?

The man is batshit crazy.
sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 07:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
There's that. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 08:54 pm
@djjd62,
'k, I was thinking you were sure there are no good ones,

but maybe you're right, that the exception proves the rule..
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 11:48 pm
In his ad dissing gays, rick perry wears the same jacket HEath Ledger wore in Broke Back Mountain.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:09 pm
You may have seen the ad in which rick perry, wearing the jacket worn by Heath Ledger in Breakback Mountain, discusses his pride in his Christianity and his dislike of gays. Perhaps, you saw the counter-ad featuring a young man . . . in the same popular jacket . . . or the perry ad with the photoshopped addition of the exercise guru jumping behind the Texan.

Here is the latest answer to the perry ad:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e23d1c26d4/jesus-responds-to-rick-perry-s-strong-ad?rel=player&playlist=334652
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:28 pm
@plainoldme,
That is funny, I like the one with Herman Cain singing. I guess it is best that Herman dropped out so that he can spend more time with his wife. I wonder if she will stay with him.

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 05:22 pm
It is no big deal of course, except to comedy writers who may be made redundant by politicians.
Rick Perry in an interview with reporters from the Des Moines Register managed to make 3 gaffes in a mere 60 seconds:
Obama "appointed" two judges (nominated is the actual procedure) to the "eight" member Supreme Court (nine) including...including...um, including...um, "Montemayor." He meant Sotomayor.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 05:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Former NH Gov John Sununu (Rep), not a big fan of Newt, describes him in an interview as "unstable."
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
I don't see him as unstable assuming everything is going to plan. Bob Dylan's the only guy I have seen who I think could keep calm in every foreseeable circumstance.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 09:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
She didn't make one of those I'm-standing-by-my-man speeches, but, then she never wanted to be in the public eye and said so.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, do you consider yourself a pacifist?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:20 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ron Paul (R-Crazytown, TX)

Better crazy Ron than narcissistic and ineffectual Obama.

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 08:10 am
Part of the underground message that the American right is sending as we ramp up to another presidential Christmas is a war on Christmas sponsored by Obama. I never heard of such a war but, the idea bothered me.

1.) Until last week, I had never heard of this alleged war, which the right is tying to Obama. Looking back, I remember an atheist activist named Madalyn Murray O'Hair whose case against Bible reading in schools was one of several to have reached the Supreme Court in the early 1960s. In fact, another case was heard in 1962 which led to a ban. That was one year after Obama was born.

2.) Of course, the Bible isn't Christmas but what followed in the wake of the SC decision were years of debate over public displays of a religious nature. As our technology has moved the library from the convenient building in the center of town to the home computer, everyone reading this can look this up. Well, they could have gone to the library in the old days but . . .

3.) The real corker for me is a suggestion someone made that I could attend one of the performances of the traditional English music group, Nowell Sing We Clear in my area.

How many right wingers attend the wonderful Christmas performances Nowell Sing We Clear and The Revels? How could warriors against Christmas immerse themselves in these traditional celebrations?

I took my own kids to Nowell Sing We Clear when they were in elementary school over the objections of my former husband, raised in a Republican household. He wanted me to take them to "something traditional, like the Nutcracker." Yep, I said. A tradition since 1952. The material in the Nowell show was between 400 and 800 years old.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 08:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Better crazy Ron than narcissistic and ineffectual Obama

While I generally think it better to ignore this sort of dangerous statement, I have to point out a few things.

That Obama is considered a tool of the right by the left.

That all politicians are narcissistic. COmpared to romney and gingrich and perry, Obama is a blushing school boy.

And, if Obama is ineffectual, wouldn't you as a republican prefer an ineffectual Democrat to an FDR?

Finally, as the Republicans veto everything right now, you have to consider that they are spitting in your face (consumer agency, tying the continuance of the middle class friendly tax abatement to the dangerous and stupid pipeline) as well as in the faces of the left. After all, I doubt that you are in the top 20% of American earners, the only people Republicans acknowledge.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 03:22 pm
The Des Moines debate is at 9 ET (7 local time) on ABC.
We can expect to see continued Obama bashing, of course, but some of the candidates, perhaps even Romney, are going to have to do something to slow down the Newt train. Perhaps, or perhaps not. Several of them are using surrogates to do the mud slinging.
Mitt has made reference to the fact that he has been married to the same woman for 42 years. I doubt anyone will address Newt's personal life history.
There is the usual list of other issues: flip-flops, immigration, Isreal and, of course, the economy.
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 03:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
It's a pity that the four main problems are not discussable.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 03:52 pm
@spendius,
How do you mean?
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 04:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
If they are not discussable then I can't answer the question.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 05:14 pm
@spendius,
if they are not discussable, why in the hell did you bring them up???