The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:04 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
He has no chance.

Thankfully.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:05 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Also, Herman and Newt are probably the only ones that
can wipe the floor with Obama in presidential debates.

Well, half of your statement is correct.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:21 am
@revelette,
I also read that Cain's 9-9-9 plan will give millionaires a 50% tax break.

I knew Cain didn't know what he was presenting; the guy's a dud.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 11:51 am
All of you who are unemployed or underemployed, take a 5 x 8 index card. On the back, write a capsule description of your experience and education. List your current job if you have one along with your annual salary.

On the front, where your return address should be write: IT IS NOT MY FAULT and then send the card to this address:

herman cain for president
campaign headquarters
p. o. box 2158
Stockbridge, GA 30281
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:13 pm
@plainoldme,
What does such a campaign hope to achieve?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It may make Cain relise he's a complete ****.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
You don't really think that it will.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
NO! Because a complete **** will never admit that he is a complete ****.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:16 pm
@RABEL222,
He might have a bit of trouble sleeping though.
snood

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

He might have a bit of trouble sleeping though.

I dunno - I would think that, just by definition, a complete **** of a person would have no problem sleeping at night because his/her lack of a conscience or moral compass is what makes him/her a complete ****.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:12 pm
It appears that Perry will announce that his campaign will be built on the concept of the "flat tax" and a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution.
Two ideas destined, like Perry, to go nowhere.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

What is wrong with a balanced budget amendment, other than it is supported by Republicans?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

What is wrong with a balanced budget amendment, other than it is supported by Republicans?

Have you actually read the text of the amendments your own party is proposing? It's one of the worst ideas ever proposed by Congress, ever.

http://capitalgainsandgames.com/blog/bruce-bartlett/2194/dopiest-constitutional-amendment-all-time

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It seems many conservatives only read the titles and not the detail; Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan is a good example. Many conservatives support it, because they have no clue how it'll impact their own taxes, and enrich the already wealthy even more with cuts in their taxes.

They are clueless on what they want or will vote for.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 04:19 pm
Rasmussen is out with a new Iowa caucus poll amongst Repubs. The caucus is 10 weeks ahead but could be more like 6 or 7 if Nevada doesn't blink - which I think they will.
Cain (28% as of 10/19) vs {4% on 8/31}
Romney (21%) vs {17%}
Paul (10%) vs {14%}
Bachmann (9.5%) vs {18%}
Gingrich (8.5%) vs {2%}
Perry (8.3%) vs {29%}

Romney has not been campaigning hard in Iowa - although he was there today. He figures he can do well there ahead of NH where he is likely to do well, although the Cain Thing is probably troubling. In 2008, Romney devoted a lot of energy to Iowa and he did not do too well. He doesn't want to repeat that mistake.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:45 pm
@H2O MAN,
ROTFLMAO

Cain's incapable of forming a proper English sentence
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 01:52 pm
Nevada Republicans have thrown in the towel on trying to move their caucuses earlier in the schedule. They wanted to gather on January 14th, but that would have resulted in several other states moving their events into mid-December.
Here is the schedule that now appears to have been agreed to:
1/3/2012- Iowa caucuses
1/10- New Hampshire primary
1/21- South Carolina primary
1/28- Florida primary
2/4- Nevada caucuses
many other states will follow through April and into May.

Romney pushed for Nevada to go earlier in the hopes that if did well there he would get momentum going into SC and FL. He denies it was anything more that a suggestion. He has endured a lot of criticism, especially from NH officials.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 02:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Rasmussen is out with a new Iowa caucus poll amongst Repubs. The caucus is 10 weeks ahead but could be more like 6 or 7 if Nevada doesn't blink - which I think they will.

Cain (28% as of 10/19) vs {4% on 8/31} Significant for obvious reasons, but he'll start to come back to the peloton

Romney (21%) vs {17%} Maintaining his position for a strong finish.

Paul (10%) vs {14%} When the people start to get to know Paul better, the numbers drop

Bachmann (9.5%) vs {18%} This is pretty significant too. It means the straw poll was a flash in the pan. Just don't see her climbing back.

Gingrich (8.5%) vs {2%} The one pair of numbers that surprised me. His debate performances have obviously helped. I still don't see this going anywhere but he must figure that if he can hang on, he'll be able to pick up the support of the candidates who leave the race.

Perry (8.3%) vs {29%} Clearly significant but not surprising. I hope he's taken himself out of the race, but with a debate free period coming up, he might be able to regroup.

Romney has not been campaigning hard in Iowa - although he was there today. He figures he can do well there ahead of NH where he is likely to do well, although the Cain Thing is probably troubling. In 2008, Romney devoted a lot of energy to Iowa and he did not do too well. He doesn't want to repeat that mistake.

He'll increase his campaigning until someone notices. Having essentially tossed Iowa to the side of the road, a second place finish in the caucuses in which he is closer to the winner then he is to the rest of the pack, will be big for him.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 02:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks for your analysis.
Tonight in Des Moines, some 1000 "evangelical conservatives" will gather for the Faith and Freedom Coalition's listening to the candidates.
Each of them will have about 25 minutes to talk. It will be on CSPAN live from 7-10 pm ET with speeches starting a 7:45. I think.
The schedule is set up with Cain going 1st, followed by Bachmann, Perry, Gingrich, Paul and Santorum. Romney is skipping the event, saying that his focus is on matters economic right now
I will probably watch the 1st three of them. Cain has to try to recover from his most recent gaffe about abortion while Bachmann and Perry will try to rally some support to remain relevant.

PS: Peloton is a new word for me.
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
What was the "gaffe"?