The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:25 pm
@spendius,
Here is what Herman Cain said in an interview on television:
"It's not the government's role or anybody else's role to make that decision (on having an abortion). ...(I)t ... comes down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make."
Being anti-abortion is a litmus test among many evangelical christian conservatives. Cain's comment has upset people who have been leaning towards him in states like Iowa, South Carolina and Florida.
Abortion as a result of pregnancy due to rape or incest has somewhat less opposition.
I hope I framed this evenly.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 04:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm not sure I would call a relevant statement of belief a gaffe. He just deliberately failed to deceive the public. This may hurt him with some segments of the Republican party, but make him more electable if nominated.

Cain has other issues that I don't find satisfactory, but this isn't one of them.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 04:48 pm
@roger,
I am sticking by "gaffe." He has stated numerous times in the past that he is totally opposed to abortion. His comment suggesting that he is not is confusing and disturbing to many in the base of his supporters.
I would consider that apparent waffling to being a gaffe as a campaign strategy.
We will see later this evening how he deals with that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 04:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Thanks for your analysis.

You're welcome

PS: Peloton is a new word for me.

You must not watch cycling competitions.
If I recall correctly, "git" was a new word for you as well Smile

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 05:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I am sticking by "gaffe." He has stated numerous times in the past that he is totally opposed to abortion. His comment suggesting that he is not is confusing and disturbing to many in the base of his supporters.
I would consider that apparent waffling to being a gaffe as a campaign strategy.
We will see later this evening how he deals with that.

I don't pretend to know his real beliefs, but it certainly is possible for someone to be opposed to government intervention in the question but at the same time to be morally opposed to abortion.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 05:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
It is certainly a gaffe if he has been previously totally opposed to abortion. The life of the conceived little mite has **** all to do with the choice of that family or that mother.

If our governments and our supreme courts want to officially abandon the new formed little lad or lass to the whims of their stupid parents and their legal advisers on the basis of a ticking clock so much the worse for them. They are all wankers as far as I'm concerned despite them being called Chief Justices.

I'm totally opposed to abortion full stop.
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 05:29 pm
@spendius,
And the Pope will always be no matter how many priests diddle choirboys.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 05:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
His latest position on the comment is that he believes all abortion should be illegal and if a woman or family chooses abortion, it's their decision...but they've chosen to break the law.

One way or the other, it was a gaffe.

What he actually believes in the cases of rape and incest? I guess we have to take him at his word

I've no idea how much of his surge in popularity relies upon the "Pro-Life" movement, but I wasn't aware that being OK with abortions in the cases of rape and incest was "Pro-Choice."

Frankly, I can understand why some take that position. If your opposition to abortion is based on your belief in the sanctity of life and the innocence of the unborn, I don't know how you reconcile permitting abortions when there has been rape or incest.

I'm glad I'm not seeking a job that requires me to state my position on this, because I'm still not sure what it actually is.

There are plenty of people on both sides of the spectrum for whom abortion is the one issue that trumps all others, but I suspect that more of them reside on the Right than on the Left, and so I suppose this issue can hurt him to some extent.

Caine is a former CEO. He is used to saying what he thinks and not spending an inordinate amount of time scanning the ground for mines before he opens his mouth. Of all the GOP candidates I think he deserves to be voted "Most Likely To Blow His Chances With A Gaffe."

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, That's an easy decision for me; it's none of my business what anybody does with their body except themselves and their doctor. Why people want to impose their religious' beliefs on other people they don't even know or care about is "intrusion" into their private lives. If they come to full term with their baby, will they help care for it?
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cain has, in my mind, a good performance.
Bachmann up now.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
Bachmann mentions Jesus Christ 6 times in a couple of paragraphs. She expresses great support for Israel.
She wants to see an amendment to the constitution preventing abortion from conception. She favors a fence to prevent immigration along the Mexican border and require English to be the official national language.
Shut down the departments of education, commerce, energy and a couple others which I couldn't other write down fast enough.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
are they showing the picture of a loon behind her?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:51 pm
@Rockhead,
She is the loon.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
Perry up now.
Leads off with his opposition to abortion and liberal judges. He takes a veiled swipe at Cain. He, too, talks about got.
A joke from him: I am not perfect. God knows that, as evidenced by my debates.
He was quite brief.
Drill, drill or whatever is big to him.
In the Q&A, he is back to abortion and energy and cutting spending.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 07:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
I am tired. I would appreciate hearing your comments regarding your interpretation of the thing in Des Moines. I was commenting based on quick notes.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 07:03 pm
Are Jews hated at occupy wall street by other Jews?
Are there Republicans there?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 08:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How fortunate for you that it's an easy decision.

We've probably been down this road before, but if I believe there is a third person involved whose rights are not being considered, let alone protected, and for whom it literally is a matter of life and death, the moral dilemma I'm faced with is quite different from the one your belief system has created for you.

I don't need to rely on religious beliefs to come to the decision that the abortion should not be permitted, anymore then you need them to come to a decision that murder should not be permitted.

I need to believe that human life begins before delivery, and I don't need to have any religious beliefs to arrive at that conclusion.

I need to believe that human life should be afforded the same fundamental rights whether it resides inside or outside a womb, and I don't need to have any religious beliefs to arrive at that conclusion.

So if I arrive at the decision that the abortion is not permissible, I've not imposed any religious beliefs on anyone.

An argument can be made that I've imposed my philosophical, moral and/or legal beliefs on someone, but how is that any different from your decision that murder is not permissible?

My decision doesn't require that I know anything about the mother or care one whit about her, but the same can be said as regards your decision and the murder.

Likewise I personally owe the mother
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 08:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Here's where it becomes a bigger problem; India and China practice infanticide. Vietnam practices abortion to the greatest degree in this world - as I've heard. All these "innocent" lives are killed by the thousands. If you feel some responsibility for all those fetus through your morals, how do you stop them? Any?

How about the daughter who is raped by the father and becomes pregnant?

Are you as concerned about that fetus as you are about the woman?

Many lives in Africa are starving. Is another newborn life just as precious as those already alive?

Since there is no way for me to take on responsibility for all life, I'm not going to take on any moral responsibility for other people's lives. My morals have no impact on what people do whether it's killing, rape, or abortion. All I can do is make donations to Second Harvest Food Bank, Habitat for Humanities, and make other contributions to other charities or individuals. I try to treat all humans equally. That's the limit of my morals.

Here's a link about female infanticide in India and China.http://www.gendercide.org/case_infanticide.html
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 09:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Likewise I personally don't owe the mother any assistance in raising the child she wanted to abort anymore than you owe the murderer recompense because he wasn't permitted to achieve whatever goal he sought through killing someone.

The issues you've raised of religious imposition and personal obligations to the mother are a red herring.

If there is a successful effort to outlaw any and all abortions that I supported, it won't be Finn's law, and it won't be Finn who enforces it. It will be the State's law and the State's obligation to enforce. I won't feel that I have imposed my beliefs about anything on anyone, and I won't feel any obligation to any of the individuals who might become involved with the law. And (as importantly) I wouldn't feel like I'm dodging personal responsibility.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why would you even mention
Quote:
you owe the murderer recompense
>? That truly is a red herring. "Successful effort to outlaw any and all abortions?" ROFLMAO Are you saying that in the event such a law is passed, it has nothing to do with your morals? Christ: You are confused!