The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:26 pm
Is the GOP going to get serious about choosing between Romney and Perry now that it seems they have run seemingly run out of diversions?? It would be quaint for sure to wait and let the voters decide, but somehow I dont think it will come down to that....they have a couple of months to make up their minds.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
It's a bad move if he wants to win -- it's not a bad move if he's just looking for some notoriety.

This is prime ground-game time, and he's gonna bypass that for a month.

Came here re: Palin, see that's already here. I do admit my immediate reaction is "Yay!"
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:47 pm
So a Palin/Christie ticket is off?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:26 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Palin is OUT.
Discuss.

Joe(damn.I wanted her in :-) )))))))Nation

You and

The NY Times
Washington Post
Boston Globe
LA Times
MSNBC
ABC, NBC, CBS
The New Yorker
Harpers
Huffington Post
Salon
Jon Stewart
Maureen Dowd
Andrew Sullivan
Levi Johnston
Bill Maher
Joe McGinnis
David Axelrod

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You forgot to add Obama to your list!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I think, Soz, that Cain's October book tour is not a bad move. Not much is really happening. He will be traveling around, on the publisher's money(?). He can toss in comments while Romney and Perry duke it out and the lower tier candidates struggle to get someone to notice them.
Romney, by the way, would probably rather have a root canal this weekend. He is scheduled to speak at the Values Voters Summit in D.C. The participants are anti-homosexuality, anti-gay rights, anti-abortion etc. He will speak just ahead of Bryan Fischer who argues that the 1st amendment should not apply to Muslims or Mormons.

I'm not sure why this story has been getting so much play from Democrats.

Assuming the story is correct and Cain is not campaigning like a madman, does that make him a bad man?

I guess the Democrats are just concerned that the poor folks who donated money to his campaign may be getting taken by someone who doesn't really want to be president.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:31 pm
@hingehead,
He's glad she's not running . The though of debating her makes his bowels go watery.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
When I talk about it, the point is whether he's really a serious contender.

I think he's not, and he's currently a way for Republicans to express their displeasure with both Romney and Perry.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 11:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Palin is OUT.
Discuss.

Murphy forfend. Too many people have wasted too much time discussing Palin already. Good riddance!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 11:13 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Murphy forfend. Too many people have wasted too much time discussing Palin already. Good riddance!

Want to bet that this isn't the last time she is discussed in this forum, and that as a topic she will be brought up more often by her opponents than her supporters?
spendius

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 09:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
The difficulty which the Republican candidates are labouring under is that they know that zeal precedes charity if not from J.B.Newman then from their own common sense. They know that the incontinence of devout and virtuous feeling and a morbid scrupulosity of conscience are predicated upon the previous exercise of zeal. That is a fundamental conservative dogma.

But they need to get votes in a cultural climate, an enveloping medium, in which the incontinence of devout and virtuous feeling and morbid scrupulosities of conscience are rampant and where zeal is felt to be not far short of a hair shirt.

Such a difficulty does not apply to the Democrats who are free in their own minds to pander to the incontinence of devout and virtuous feeling and morbid scrupulosites of conscience to their heart's content.

Hence the Democrats look better on TV but are at something of a loss at the desk where the bucks stop for the very simple reason that zeal does actually precede charity.

Wringing the hands is much easier than digging with them.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 09:20 am
@Rockhead,
Palin was never in.

Rockhead wrote:

I heard she's gonna do dancing with the stars instead.

the schedule is less hectic...

Her dance partner will have a less hectic schedule after moving out of the White House January 2013.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 10:38 am
Quote:
* Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) told an audience in D.C. yesterday, “I am not going to be the Vice Presidential nominee. I am not going to be the Vice Presidential nominee.” Asked if he would turn down a ticket invitation from his party’s nominee, Rubio said, “Yea, I believe so,” adding again, “the answer is gonna be no.”

Whew. I sure hope this is true, because I honestly think that adding Rubio to the ticket is the only shot Republicans have at being elected this cycle.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
and that as a topic she will be brought up more often by her opponents than her supporters?

It is actually a topic that needs to be brought up, ie. that Republicans are more than willing to bring the highest levels of stupidity to the highest office in the land.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
* Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) told an audience in D.C. yesterday, “I am not going to be the Vice Presidential nominee. I am not going to be the Vice Presidential nominee.” Asked if he would turn down a ticket invitation from his party’s nominee, Rubio said, “Yea, I believe so,” adding again, “the answer is gonna be no.”

Whew. I sure hope this is true, because I honestly think that adding Rubio to the ticket is the only shot Republicans have at being elected this cycle.

Cycloptichorn

By now we should all realize that these denials are essentially meaningless.

The last thing Rubio wants now is to be seen as doing anything that might divert attention away form the candidates or press them to answer questions about whether or not they will pick him.

By discussing it in Florida he gets to have his name in the papers but avoid the appearence of courting the VP slot.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Haha, you're praying that he's not telling the truth; likely because you agree with me that he would be, by far, the strongest VP candidate for your side.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, I do agree with you that he would be a very strong VP candidate; maybe the strongest, but I'm not praying for anything other than a long life of health and happiness with my family and friends and the defeat of Obama in 2012.

It's not going to take prayer to see him defeated, but I figure it can't hurt.
JTT

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
the defeat of Obama in 2012.

Wouldn't it be nice if the US could have a president that wasn't a war criminal?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:26 am
More rantings from cain:

http://www.care2.com/causes/cain-if-you-arent-rich-you-have-yourself-to-blame.html
revelette

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:36 am
@plainoldme,
Do republicans expect everyone to be a business owner? If everyone owned a business, then who in the world would be the workers? If there are no workers then who would buy the products or services of the business owners? Workers depend on wages and they have been stagnated since the eighties. It is that unfairness which needs to be addressed and it has nothing to do with being against greed or class welfare but just basic rights for people who work hard to be able make enough of a living to pay their bills and support their families.

How the middle class became the underclass