I'm just sayin'...

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:13 pm
@DrewDad,
well then, it's also clear you have an issue with me, since you just as regulary point this out to me.

It's your responsibility to deal with it.

Just as you'll have to continue to deal with my mispellings.

In any case, I'm not going to play into your attempts to make me argue with you, so I have no more to say on this.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:16 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
well then, it's also clear you have an issue with me,
since you just as regulary point this out to me.

It's your responsibility to deal with it.

Just as you'll have to continue to deal with my mispellings.[GO FONETIC!]

In any case, I'm not going to play into your attempts to make me argue with you,
so I have no more to say on this.
George

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

[GO FONETIC!]

Gimme an F! (F!)
Gimme an O! (O!)
. . .
wandeljw

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:27 pm
@George,
Hey, George! How did you like the way the Bears took care of the Jets on Sunday?
George

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:31 pm
@wandeljw,
I loved it!
It was almost as good as getting a foot massage.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 03:16 pm
@chai2,
Actually, I do have an issue with people who blow minor issues completely out of proportion (Chicken Little Syndrome) . I have an issue with people who use faulty logic (Fallacy Syndrome). I have an issue with people who point out failings in others, but who are uninterested in reflecting on their own failings (Glass Houses Syndrome).

You fit into all three groups.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:13 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

No, more in the "we really can't have a discussion that all children are not special/extraordinary/worshipped without some people thinking things like 'GC was just saying that to be funny', 'you must be anti-chidren/a child hater/not a parent to say such things'"

Preferential treatment? As in when adults are expected to tolerate misbehavior in public because "there just kids", like when special meals have to be prepared because the kid won't eat what everyone else is? Like as if everyone else is delighted with every aspect of their meal?
Children need to learn to adapt and deal with the world around them, not the world adapt to them. Accomodations for smaller size, different dexterity, etc is good. Same as it is good to accomodate someone in a wheelchair, or who is diabetic and can't eat the same meal. An example of accomodating a child would be to provide a quiet dim area for the child to sleep in when they run out of endurance and get cranky. Preferential treatment is making everyone put up with the cranky child, because the parents won't leave with them. Honestly? If your kid turns cranky, get them the **** out of there. Don't make the world deal with your lack of planning.

[/quote]

Here's an example of what you're saying (I think) and I totally get and agree with it.

At my wedding, a friend of mine wanted her 3.5 yr old to attend our dinner. I didn't want her there because who was I going to sit her with - nobody wants to get a babysitter and then go out and have to eat with a 3 yr old, I don't care how well behaved they are. This was also an adult night, so it was totally inappropriate. Anyway, I thought, well, if it's just for dinner (yes, she was taking her home after), then O-KAY, I'll get them their own table. She was flying in from Vancouver, so she's not a local. Long story short, a few days before the wedding, I asked her if she'd found a sitter and discovered that they didn't need one - not only was the kid staying for dinner, but also for the first music set, AND coming to my evening party the night before at around 9:00 p.m.

I said NO. That is NOT happening. And we had a weird discussion. She doesn't get much time with her because she works all day, weekends are important, the kid was excited to dress up and have dinner with us, blah blah blah. I said, you know, I could handle a kid being at the dinner, but not during the dancing, and certainly not at my house party - nobody wants to be around little kids at 9:00 or 10:00 at night. No, No, No.

So, she's now not talking to me (oh well).

She figured she and her kid are more important than the other 95 people at the event. Uh, no, you're not. And if I'd wanted kids there, I'd have invited my granddaughters. But how dare she extend my grudging acceptance at the dinner to all the rest of it?
wandeljw

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:28 pm
@Mame,
You are on the wrong thread, Mame. George and I were talking about football.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:36 pm
@Mame,
Well Mame, she would have been flying in from a different city and frankly, I would not leave a 3 year old one for an entire weekend with a sitter either. However, I would have declined your wedding invitation since you stipulated without children. When one has small children then there are many gatherings that one cannot attend and has to decline, it shouldn't be a big deal.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:38 pm
Quote:
Preferential treatment is making everyone put up with the cranky child, because the parents won't leave with them. Honestly? If your kid turns cranky, get them the **** out of there. Don't make the world deal with your lack of planning.

Again, it's the parents and not the kids fault. Children do get cranky and
they do act up in "adult only" places as they get bored very easily. It's not the kids fault though - it's the parents! Your rant should be towards the
parents and not the kids.
Mame

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
It was two evenings, CJ, not an entire weekend. The house party was the NIGHT before... they were flying in at 7:00, get luggage, to the hotel... easily 8:00 p.m. Bedtime for 3 yr olds! And the wedding was at 6:00 p.m. and I knew a bunch of kids who would have babysat and had fun with her. That would have been 3 of her waking evening hours (at the most) without her parents. They would have had all day Saturday, all day Sunday, and all day Thanksgiving Monday together. Plus, they could have come over for breakfast on the Monday to meet everyone, including other little kids.

It was not unreasonable of me but it was unreasonable of her.
Mame

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh, and I didn't stipulate without children. I agreed to the dinner. She extended the hours and changed the agreement.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
I don't agree that it's always the parents' fault - sometimes kids get over-tired - that's not parental neglect or bad parenting. Sometimes they are confused by too many people - that's not parental neglect or bad parenting.

Little ones can't reason like older ones and sometimes they're a PITA.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:56 pm
@wandeljw,
Yeah and it was a boring conversation, bub.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:01 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Naw, I don't think my husband is special....

So he was just some convenient person? Out of all the people you get along with it could have been any one of them instead? Wow. I feel sorry for both of you.

Quote:
Most people think their houses are clean.
No one thinks all houses are clean.

Ergo, many people are wrong in thinking their houses are clean.

Exactly. I've been in people's houses that stink like cat pee or something and the people who live there don't even seem to notice it. They think their house is clean and they're wrong.

My house is clean but there is always an area under construction. My neighbor who has a live in maid probably doesn't think my house is clean.

Quote:
If, as you say, most people think their kids are extraordinary, than most kids are extraordinary.

What?

If I think my pie is apple that doesn't mean that most pie is apple, only that I think my pie is apple.

I'm not even going to get into that last paragraph because it's simply too ridiculous. Children aren't small adults. To pretend they are is simply stupid.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:04 pm
@Mame,
You're certainly entitled to have your party the way you want it.

Again, though, what if anything does her behavior say about society in general? How many of your guests did not try to bring their kids along?

One wedding guest with bad manners does not constitute an epidemic of bad parenting.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:10 pm
There are parents who do not keep their kids in line when they are out in public.

There are also people who are bad drivers. There are people who talk too loudly in public places. There are people who stink. There are people who panhandle. There are people who stare rudely.

Part of life, people.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Quote:
Preferential treatment is making everyone put up with the cranky child, because the parents won't leave with them. Honestly? If your kid turns cranky, get them the **** out of there. Don't make the world deal with your lack of planning.

Again, it's the parents and not the kids fault. Children do get cranky and
they do act up in "adult only" places as they get bored very easily. It's not the kids fault though - it's the parents! Your rant should be towards the
parents and not the kids.

How was what you quoted me as saying not directly dead on to the parents?

Also, see another part of my response to boomer, where I say "Now you get it..." where again I direct it right smack dab at the parents.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:32 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Most people think their houses are clean.

Ergo, many people are wrong in thinking their houses are clean.

Exactly.

ok boomer, read what you originally wrote, and how I answered again....slowly this time.

You originally said

"most people think their children are extraordinary
no one thinks all children are extraordinary"

got that?

I substituted the words "houses" and "clean" for "children" and "extraordinary" and said...

"Most people think their houses are clean.

Ergo, many people are wrong in thinking their houses are clean."

You agreed, by saying "Right"

ya follow?

Now, take that phrase you agreed with, and put the words "children" and "extraordinary" back in....

"Most people think their children are extraordinary.
No one thinks all children are extraordinary.

Ergo, many people are wrong in thinking their children are extraordinary."

If you agreed with my house statement, why wouldn't you argree with the child statement?

Again, I said that parents (some, many, I don't know) are prejudiced towards believing their children are extraordinary, because they are THEIR children.

Just because you are prejudiced toward thinking your own children are extraordinary, does not make it so. It just colors your emotional thinking toward that way.

Why are parents prejudiced toward thinking their own children are extraordinary? Because it makes THEM look good.

Look what I did! I raised an extraordinary child! Oh, you think your child is extraordinary too? No, they're just ordinary. I'm the one who raised this extraordinary child.

In the meantime, both of those people kids just want to sit in the back yard and hold a stick. They may even want to pick their noses and flick boogers at each other.

"But don't you see how MY child is holding that stick in such an extraordinary way? Why, I can even see from here that the stick he chose is extraordinary."

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:53 pm
Oh mame, I feel your pain.

She had it planned all along you know.
0 Replies