Legitimate Inquiry or McCathyesque Witch-hunt? Congressional hearings on American Muslims.

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:44 am
@JTT,
Just stay in your favorite bathroom stall, a liberal progressive democrat will visit you soon.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Just like Pete Kings failure to "fink out" the IRA
revelette

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:00 am
Quote:
January 2011 terrorism statistics report — compiled using publicly available data from the FBI and other crime agencies — from the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) shows, terrorism by Muslim Americans has only accounted for a minority of terror plots since 9/11. Since the attacks on the Twin Towers and Pentagon, Muslims have been involved in 45 domestic terrorist plots. Meanwhile, non-Muslims have been involved in 80 terrorist plots.

In fact, right-wing extremist and white supremacist attacks plots alone outnumber plots by Muslims, with both groups being involved in 63 terror plots, 18 more plots than Muslim Americans have been involved in. Here is a breakdown of attacks by group, along with a few examples of plots by some of these groups:

Anti-Government/Anti-Tax Extremists: There have been 36 plots by right-wing extremists since 9/11. These attacks include Joseph Stack’s suicide attack on a Texas IRS building and Joshua Cartwright, who became enraged after the election of Barack Obama and “believed that the US Government was conspiring against him.”

KKK/NeoNazi/White Supremacist: There have been 27 plots by white supremacists since 9/11. These attacks include a 2004 letter bombing of the Arizona Office of Diversity and Dialogue that injured three employees.

Unknown/Miscellaneous: There were five attacks that federal crime officials did not categorize.

Christian Extremists/Anti-Abortion: There were three attacks by anti-abortion extremists and Christian extremists. The killing of abortion provider George Tiller is the most prominent of these attacks.

Black Supremacist Cults: There were two plots by black supremacist cults.

Jewish Extremists: There were two plots by Jewish extremists. The most prominent of these was a plot by Robert Goldstein to attack a local Islamic center with home made C4 and other explosives.

Extreme Anti-Immigrant: There were two plots by anti-immigrant extremists. One of these was the attack by Shawn Forde, who murdered a Queens deli clerk and was motivated by racist and anti-immigrant feelings.

Anti-Jewish: There was one plot by an anti-Semitic extremist. Norman Leboon made anti-Semitic threats against Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA).

Anarchist: There was a single plot by an anarchist. Joseph D. Konopka “wreaked havoc in 13 counties by setting fires, disrupting radio and television broadcasts, disabling an air traffic control system, selling counterfeit software, and damaging the computer system of an Internet service provider.”

Given the fact that non-Muslim terrorists account for almost twice as many plots as Muslim terrorists in the United States since 9/11, King’s justification that he is targeting Muslims because they represent the primary threat seems hollow. Additionally, King’s hearings come at a time when Muslim American terrorism and involvement in extremism has actually plummeted in the past couple years, according to a Duke University study put out last month. Moreover, nearly 4 in 10 Al-Qaida related plots in the United States have been broken up thanks to intelligence provided by the Muslim community themselves and 70 percent of recent terror plots in the United States have been foiled by help from Muslim Americans.
Quote:

Links at the source

Arrest Reported in Spokane Terror Bombing Attempt

Quote:
A significant break in the Martin Luther King Day backpack bomb investigation in Spokane occurred this morning when an FBI SWAT team executed a search warrant and reportedly made an arrest in the small northeastern Washington town of Addy.

FBI officials weren’t immediately available for comment, but indicated the name of the suspect would be forthcoming in a news release.

The case has been investigated as a case of domestic terrorism.

Addy is a community in Stevens County, in the northeastern corner of Washington state, bordering Canada. The county has long been a hotbed of extremist and Christian Identity activity.

The arrest was being reported by Spokane media, including The Spokesman-Review and KXLY-TV.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:07 am
These hearings will be very revealing about the radicalization of the American Republican community.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 12:46 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
These hearings will be very revealing about the radicalization
of the American Republican community.
Yes, well, the point of the Party is radical reliance upon and non-deviation from
the Original Americanism of the Constitutional paradigm
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 12:53 pm

Actually, we had no reason for any ill will against the Moslems
before thay attacked the USS Cole or sapped a few of our embassies in africa.
If the Moslems had not bombed those places and the World Trade Center, then I 'd see nothing rong with Moslems;
maybe a little goofy, but harmless, as far as Americans were concerned.

(not counting the nuclear menace of Iran; I blame that on Jimmy Carter.)

David
revelette

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Not all Muslims attacked America and many of them have helped US agencies in future terrorist plots.

Any teenager or someone who is vulnerable can be radicalized into any kind of extremist group and it is not only Muslim groups who we need to worry about blowing up Americans next as the link I left previously pointed out proved, since 9/11 non Muslims were more of a threat.

Data on Post-9/11
Terrorism in the United
States
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:11 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Not all Muslims attacked America
Did ENUF Moslems attack America on 9/11/1 to get the job done?

revelette wrote:
Any teenager
No; when I was a teenager, I woud not have been seduced into that.
engineer

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:20 am
I heard some of the testimony this morning where a LA sheriff was describing the great support he gets from the Muslim community. One of the panelists basically told him he was being deceived by Muslims for their own ends. You could feel the sheriff rolling his eyes over the radio.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:22 am

Some of them have been double agents.

I wonder how much of this woud not have manifested, if the Shah had remained incumbent.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:24 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Just like Pete Kings failure to "fink out" the IRA

he's quite a piece of work, that Mr. King

I think someone should have a congressional hearing on his behaviour re the IRA. Did some reading on him last night. Revolting piece of work.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Did ENUF Moslems attack America on 9/11/1 to get the job done?

Yes enough Muslimsattacked America on 9/11 to get the job done. However since that time, enough Muslims have been cooperating with US agencies to stop future terrorist plots from being successful. Moreover, Muslim leaders in the US and elsewhere have time and again have condemned terrorism. Lastly the fact that enough Muslims carried out the terrorist act on 9/11 to be successful does not mean that every Muslim is therefore suspect just for being Muslim.

Quote:
No; when I was a teenager, I woud not have been seduced into that.

Perhaps any was a poor word choice. I meant that some teenagers and vulnerable persons are seduced into radicalization of many different kinds of extremist groups.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
when I was a teenager, I woud not have been seduced into that.

if it wasn't as a teenager, when did you become an extremist?
djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:32 am
@ehBeth,
Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:33 am
@ehBeth,
Age 9, when I first stumbled upon the US Constitution
in the back of a history book, during a history class.
I was very pleased, when I arrived at the 2nd Amendment

David
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:33 pm
I don't think we can say just becasuse we have good muslims and they are cooperating in the war that there is no reason to root out those muslims who do wish us harm. The goal is safety.
sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:43 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Why bring "muslim" into it at all, then? Why not "root out those who do wish us harm?" (The "rooting people out" merely for what they think rather than for what they do is another issue, I won't get into that now.)
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:50 pm
@sozobe,
As far as I know the hearings are to root out muslims who want to kill us. I never heard anything about rooting out muslims for what they think. I know it would "feel" better to include everyone, but the fact is there are muslims all over the world who have the intent to murder people. That's the problem, not everyone else. It is a fact that there is a certain group who wishes harm to innocent civilians. Terrorists. It just so happens there are thousands and thousands of them. If we have another group where there are thousands and thousands who wish to harm innocent civilians then I encourage inclusion of them also. Do you have any leads?
JTT

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:56 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Quote:
The goal is safety.

Another of the numerous brain-washed. "safety" is as good a piece of propaganda as using the various boogeymen that the US likes to use.
sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:17 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Going after terrorists is fine. Going after Muslims is not.

Their religion is not the most salient factor.