Legitimate Inquiry or McCathyesque Witch-hunt? Congressional hearings on American Muslims.

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 12:43 pm
Anti-terror police arrested 12 people in nationwide raids for the suspected planning of a Mumbai style terrorist attack scheduled for Christmas in the UK. At this time, all 12 are believed to be UK nationals of Pakistani and Indian descent

Telegraph

Meanwhile, Peter King a Republican congressman from NY announced his intentions to hold hearing next year on the radicalization of American Muslims.

CBS

I looked for a link to an official response from CAIR and found the following. Upon reading it I realized it was anything but, however it presents a Canadian view on the matter that you might find interesting.

From the Right

In the interest of fairness I decided to also post a link to a negative reaction to King's proposal. There were a lot to choose from and I picked the first one I came across.

From the Left

Interestingly enough, CAIR has not published an official reaction to the hearing on their website. While the CBS link provides some Muslim-American reaction, the following provides more.
APP

The question I would like to discuss is whether these hearing are a proper response to an emerging problem of significant proportions, a politically motivated witch-hunt, or something in between.

My personal opinion is that while King probably hopes to achieve some political gain from the hearings, they are appropriate. Obviously care will have to be taken to assure they do not develop into a witch-hunt, but they will certainly be under the scrutiny of the media.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 11,512 • Replies: 191

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 01:00 pm
i liked Lenin and McCarthy, very catchy tunes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 01:48 pm
Where you in favor of a similar investigation in response to Timothy McVey and Eric Rudolph? Did you then call for a congressional investigation of radicalism in fundamentalist christianity?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:24 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Where you in favor of a similar investigation in response to Timothy McVey and Eric Rudolph? Did you then call for a congressional investigation of radicalism in fundamentalist christianity?

No, but then I didn't call for King's investigation either.

I don't think the problem of radicalism in fundamental christianity was ever as large as a problem as that of radicalism in Islam, and I don't know if it ever called for hearings. The fact that the world has not been made victim to a succession of radical christian attacks over the last 20 years would suggest the two are not in the same league as far as threats go and McVeigh was not a product of radicalized christianity in the first place.

Asking me a question about hearings on radicalized christianity doesn't respond to the question posed in this thread, but if you're not interested in doing so, that's fine.

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:34 pm
Maybe this will put an end to all of this PC crap and allow us to identify our Muslim enemy by name.
failures art

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 03:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
You don't even know how to pronounce those names, Backwater.

A
R
T
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 03:58 pm
@failures art,
Failed @ Art, why would you care if their names were pronounced correctly or not?
Call them what they are - Radical Muslims.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 04:21 pm
I think we should just allow Homeland Security and other agencies designed to follow that sort of thing to do its job and not politicize our nations security. In other words, it has the definite potential to turn into a witch-hunt and is unnecessary to boot.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 04:33 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

I think we should just allow Homeland Security and other agencies designed to follow that sort of thing to do its job and not politicize our nations security. In other words, it has the definite potential to turn into a witch-hunt and is unnecessary to boot.

What if these investigations included leaders of the Muslim-American community (King has indicated that they will be welcomed) who are able to help everyone understand what is fueling the radicalization of American Muslims, and have concrete, realistic suggestions for dealing with it?

Sometimes the value of congressional hearings is the attention they focus on an issue.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 04:34 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

I think we should just allow Homeland Security and other agencies designed to follow that sort of thing to do its job and not politicize our nations security.

If we had done that while Bush was still president we would be many steps ahead of the game, but the left politicized our national security every chance they got.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 04:41 pm
Peter King is a hypocrite rentamouth who supported the Provisional IRA and lobbied to get a convicted terrorist jailbreaker off the hook, who dropped his IRA links like a hot potato after 9/11.
talk72000

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 04:54 pm
Quote:
The “Radical” Muslim Group That Threatened South Park Creators Was Founded and Run by Joseph Cohen, a Former Israeli Radical Who Used to Live in a Settlement in the West Bank

Quote:
Yousef al-Khattab was born Joseph Cohen, in Brooklyn, New York. He was jewish. But not just jewish, he was a settler who went to Palestine to live on the illegal Israeli settlements.

Joseph Cohen isn’t alone though. There is another “radical Muslim” convert from Judaism (the original fake “scary American Terrorist“) who makes sure that “radical” Muslims are hated in America, his name is Adam Pearlman and he went by the “radicalized” Muslim name “Adam Gadahn“. Adam Pearlman is actually the grandson of a member of the board of directors of the Anti-Defamation League (at least he was on the board… Dr. Carl Pearlman died in 1998).

Investigation should be done to expose Jewish sting operations to implicate Muslim extremism.

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000086607/Jew-to-Muslim-Joseph-Cohen

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 05:46 pm
@talk72000,
I couldn't get through more than 5 minutes of the linked clip, but unless it takes an amazing right turn in the next 9, there doesn't seem to be any indication that the filmaker thinks Cohen/al-Khattab is a double agent of Israel.

Does it make sense that one of the most sophisticated intelligence agencies in the world, Mossad would rely on Jews claiming to be converted to Islam to infiltrate extremist Muslim groups?

How much easier it would be to find a non-Muslim Arab or Pakistani to assume a role of Jihadist for them.

Doesn't it make more sense that a Jew who converted to Islam might turn to extremism to prove his allegience to his new faith?

I doubt there is a need to investigate whether or not Jews are impersonating Muslims to cause trouble for Islam, but if there is, it sure doesn't fall to the US congress to conduct it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 05:48 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Peter King is a hypocrite rentamouth who supported the Provisional IRA and lobbied to get a convicted terrorist jailbreaker off the hook, who dropped his IRA links like a hot potato after 9/11.

Perhaps, but does that mean the investigation (which will have participation by more representatives than King alone) perforce will be a sham?
talk72000

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
How true is the conversion? That is the question. This Joseph Cohen was inciting Muslim towards violence.

Quote:
Khattab, 40, a Private investigator and cyber vigilante, Al-Khattab was the subject of an extensive profile by the Ink in March 2009., bombs bombs bombs” cards sent out last July 2008 to Fox News reporter Kelly Vick and others in NYC, BREAKING, Cabbie’s Anti-semitic Website www.revolutionmuslim.com

Why go to the network to get publicity? To get the United states to war against Muslims needs investigation as war affects every American as American lives would be involved, not to mention the cost of anti-terrorism bureaucracy.

http://pibillwarner.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/breaking-cabbie%E2%80%99s-anti-semitic-website-www-revolutionmuslim-com-shut-down-by-private-investigator-bill-warner/
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:17 pm
@talk72000,
Oh, I don't profess to know the strength of their conversions.

My bet is that they are as strong as any other fanatical obsession held by a disturbed individual.

I don't question religious conversions, just the ones that can so easily be seen as flipping the bird at the converted's family, and which lead to actions that contradict the teachings of the religion to which they have converted.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:22 pm
I just noticed the misspelling of the former Senator of Wisconsin's name. Apparently I was in a Boston mode when I wrote it.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think extremists from both religions should be locked in one room with whatever weapons they choose.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:23 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

I think extremists from both religions should be locked in one room with whatever weapons they choose.

Can't say I disagree but who gets to decide who the extremists are?
talk72000

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Those who resort to violence or espouse violence and scuttle peace accords by going in a violent rampage in a mosque, kill the prime minister, advocate the annihilation of a nation, etc.