Legitimate Inquiry or McCathyesque Witch-hunt? Congressional hearings on American Muslims.

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 04:34 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
As of late, 100% of terrorists have been Muslim.

That's completely false and you even know it to be false, but renowned liar that you are, you simply couldn't resist, could you?

Quote:
For the past 55 years it [the USA] has been running a terrorist training camp, whose victims massively outnumber the people killed by the attack on New York, the embassy bombings and the other atrocities laid, rightly or wrongly, at Al-Qaeda’s door. The camp is called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, or WHISC. It is based in Fort Benning, Georgia, and it is funded by Mr Bush’s government.

Consider the terrorist actions of the Reagan government that caused the deaths of 40 to 50 thousand Nicaraguans, basically destroyed a country. Kinda makes 9/11 look like a picnic in Central Park, doesn't it?

But we don't have to go back even that far.

Iraq & Afghanistan - clear terrorist actions against countries that had done nothing to the USA. In fact, the leaders of both countries were allies, friends, fellow travellers to the USA in abusing human rights. Saddam was supported by the USA when he used chemical weapons against the Iranians and the Kurds.

Probably on a daily basis the USA plans more terrorist actions against Cuba, after an unrelenting 50 plus years of carrying out terrorist actions.

Who's to know how many other terrorist actions the CIA is planning against how many different countries. They don't just sit at their desks playing cards.

Spare me, and others, the usual h2oman "eloquent and reasoned" response to these facts. For that I can go to your sock puppet, Finn dAbuzz.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 04:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT, you lie!
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 04:43 pm
@H2O MAN,

Another of the usual h2oman "eloquent and reasoned" responses.

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 05:23 pm
@JTT,
JTT, you also smell bad.
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 05:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
And yet another eloquent and well thought out response. Are you gathering these for a little booklet perhaps?

h2oman's world view

The Collected Works of a Cretin
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 04:24 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Calling a bunch of witnesses to come before Congress to discuss the "radicalization" of this, that, and the other thing is an exercise in self-aggrandizement of those sitting on the committee trying to make it look like they're doing something useful while in Washington.

This bore repeating.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 01:31 pm
@Setanta,
That's reasonable
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 01:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

JPB wrote:
Calling a bunch of witnesses to come before Congress to discuss the "radicalization" of this, that, and the other thing is an exercise in self-aggrandizement of those sitting on the committee trying to make it look like they're doing something useful while in Washington.

This bore repeating.

"Waste of time"

Seems to fit somewhere between "Legitimate Inquiry" and "McCarthesque Witch-hunt."

I'm sure there is a great possibility that these hearing will be exactly that...a waste of time, and money. Most congressional hearings seem to fit that bill.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 09:46 am
I'd like to know what the cost to the American taxpayers is for this ridiculous waste of time and money. I've sent that question to both my Rep, my Senators, and the WH. We'll see what they say...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 10:23 am

Congressional hearings on the radicalization of Muslims in America is money well spent.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 07:52 am
Quote:
In only three days, Rep. Peter King’s (R-NY) controversial hearings into the threat of radical Islam will begin on Capitol Hill. Already, hundreds of faith leaders in King’s district and in California have asked him to cancel the hearings. Protests at his district office and in Times Square have drawn hundreds of demonstrators, and one member of Congress who spent time in a World War II-era Japanese-American internment camp has pleaded with King not to “divide or target Americans simply on the basis of their faith or ancestry.”

Now, more lawmakers on Capitol Hill are speaking out. Twenty-six House members have signed onto a letter being circulated by Reps. Pete Stark (D-CA) and John Dingell (D-MI) that expresses “[deep concern] that the stated narrow scope and underlying premises of these hearings unfairly stigmatizes and alienates Muslim Americans.” The letter, a copy of which was provided to ThinkProgress, asks King to “reconsider” the hearings:

Dear Chairman King:

We are writing regarding the Homeland Security Committee’s upcoming hearings, which you have stated will focus exclusively on radicalization among Muslim Americans and homegrown terrorism. We agree that Congress and all levels of government have a duty to protect America from terrorism, whether from abroad or homegrown. We are, however, deeply concerned that the stated narrow scope and underlying premises of these hearings unfairly stigmatizes and alienates Muslim Americans. We ask that you reconsider the scope of these hearings and instead examine all forms of violence motivated by extremist beliefs, rather than unfairly focusing on just one religious group.

We believe that the tone and focus of these hearings runs contrary to our nation’s values. Muslim Americans contribute to our nation’s wellbeing in many professions including as doctors, engineers, lawyers, firefighters, business entrepreneurs, teachers, police officers and Members of Congress. Their hard work helps to make our country exceptional.

Signatures are still being collected until the close of business tomorrow. Current co-signers of the letter are Reps. Baldwin (D-WI), Blumenauer (D-OR), Chu (D-CA), Conyers (D-MI), Edwards (D-MD), Frank (D-MA), Fudge (D-OH), Grijalva (D-AZ), Gutierrez (D-IL), Hirono (D-HI), Holt (D-NJ), Honda (D-CA), Jackson (D-IL), Jackson-Lee (D-TX), Kucinich (D-OH), Lee (D-CA), McCollum (D-MN), McDermott (D-WA), Meeks (D-FL), Moran (D-VA), Polis (D-CO), Rush (D-IL), Schakowsky (D-IL), Scott (D-VA), Serrano (D-NY), and Waters (D-CA).

Elsewhere, Rep. Andre Carson (D-IN), one of two Muslim members of Congress, and who used to work in the anti-terrorism unit of the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, told NPR that he also felt the hearings are too narrowly focused. “Are there Islamic bozos out there who really want to see harm done to Americans? Absolutely,” Carson said. “And we have to act and isolate the threat and deal with the threat effectively. However, there are other groups, particularly racial supremacist groups, who pose a greater threat to our internal security.”

Dear Chairman King:

We are writing regarding the Homeland Security Committee’s upcoming hearings, which you have stated will focus exclusively on radicalization among Muslim Americans and homegrown terrorism. We agree that Congress and all levels of government have a duty to protect America from terrorism, whether from abroad or homegrown. We are, however, deeply concerned that the stated narrow scope and underlying premises of these hearings unfairly stigmatizes and alienates Muslim Americans. We ask that you reconsider the scope of these hearings and instead examine all forms of violence motivated by extremist beliefs, rather than unfairly focusing on just one religious group.

We believe that the tone and focus of these hearings runs contrary to our nation’s values. Muslim Americans contribute to our nation’s wellbeing in many professions including as doctors, engineers, lawyers, firefighters, business entrepreneurs, teachers, police officers and Members of Congress. Their hard work helps to make our country exceptional.

Furthermore, casting a negative light on an entire community — rather than focusing on actual dangerous fringes will only strain community relationships and trust that local, state and federal law enforcement agencies have worked hard to develop. Muslim Americans are an integral part of our larger American society and should be treated as such, not viewed with suspicion.

The choice between our values of inclusiveness and pluralism and our security is a false one.

If you wish to examine violent extremism, we ask that you do so by examining violence motivated by extremist beliefs in all its forms. Singling out one religious group and blaming the actions of individuals on an entire community is not only unfair, it is unwise– and it will not make our country any safer.

Sincerely,

Pete Stark John Dingell
Member of Congress Member of Congress

CC: Ranking Member Bennie Thompson

source
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 11:13 am
Quote:
However, there are other groups, particularly racial supremacist groups, who pose a greater threat to our internal security.

Absolutely. And they would not be hard to identify. They are well know and there are over a thousand such groups.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 11:31 am
Quote:
Legitimate Inquiry or McCathyesque Witch-hunt?
I wanna speak up in loving memory
of Tailgunner Joe: Senator Joe McCarthy.
He had his heart in the right place!
It was a great honor
to have earned the hatred of the communists
directed against him.

I never met him, but I wish that
I coud have embraced him with thanx.
He fought against the commies better
than most American citizens did.

Joe McCarthy 's Birthday shoud be a National Holiday.

David
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:26 pm
We've already had the great Muslim persecutions of the first decade of this century in this country, and we're continuing to persecute Muslims through provisions of the Patriot Act that President Obama has recently extended.

What with the official persecution of Muslims going strong here, this congressional inquiry is superfluous, and amounts to pandering to the nation's lowest common denominator--anti-Muslim bigotry--to score political brownie points.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 06:39 pm

Moslems are dangerous.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
Am listening to a series of American Muslims castigate Peter King's hearings.

Interestingly enough, only two of about 12 speakers didn't have a Middle Eastern accent.

One of these two was a Black Muslim and the other was a Valley Girl with a headscarf.

Meaningless, of course, but interesting.

I'm sure that the vast majority of Muslim Americans are good and decent people, who would never engage in terrorist activities.

The question is whether or not they will fink out fellow Muslims who are terrorists.

I can appreciate a Muslim American's uncertainty regarding squealing on one of their own, but if they are, as they loudly claim, foremost Americans then their primary allegiance must be to America, not Islam, and they need to acknowledge that there actually are among their ranks, a few terrorists.

And they need to squeal on them.

It's absurd to suggest that King is a modern day McCarthy, but everyone bitching about these hearings invokes McCarthy's memory. Hey, it works so why not?

First question in the press conference was brilliant: Considering that 99.8% of terrorist attacks against America in the last ten years have been perpetrated by radical Muslims, why would you not want to look at this population?

Answer: Bullshit.

Hey, if I was a leader of the American-Muslim community, I probably would be spouting the same bullshit these guys are, but that wouldn't make me righteous.

My American Muslim brothers...this is 2011, not 1952...please stop trying to invoke a victim's status. If you suspect or know a jihadists, call the FBI.

If you don't, because you sympathize with fellow Muslims over fellow Americans, then please stop declaring your foremost allegiance to this nation.

BTW: The same can be said for American Christians, American Jews, American Taoists et al who raise their religion above their nationality.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:01 pm

If we had not let alien Moslems in here,
then the World Trade Center woud remain erect n intact
n quite a few Americans woud remain in good health.

Remember:
aliens (including Moslems) have NO Constitutional rights to enter America.
JTT

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Tell us the one about how you got seduced when you were a youngin', Om, before you piss yourself and fall asleep in your rocker.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:13 pm
@H2O MAN,
Care to go over the material with me, you dumb little pecker head? Then you can point out what is in err.
revelette

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
BTW: The same can be said for American Christians, American Jews, American Taoists et al who raise their religion above their nationality.

If you believe that then you must believe that this Inquiry (inquisition)should have other groups such as white supremest groups and/or those who bomb abortion clinics, environmentalist extremist and Christians in the inquiry.
0 Replies