OMG - Look how obese this woman is.

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:44 pm
At least that's what a New York Times critic thinks of her.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpfalc9RLd1qzis94o1_500.jpg

roger

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:47 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, Daddy's Little Fatty.
Reyn

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

That's ridiculous. Do you have a link to this article?

She looks fine to me.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yeah, Daddy's Little Fatty.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 06:00 pm
@Reyn,
I would just love to see that editor immediately after attempting to come to full point on one foot. He or she would be on crutches for a month.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 06:01 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

chai2 wrote:

That's ridiculous. Do you have a link to this article?

She looks fine to me.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101213/us_yblog_thelookout/sugar-plum-fairy-doesnt-want-apology-from-critic-who-called-her-fat

This is why 12 year old girls that weigh 120 pounds and are 5'4" come on here talking about how fat they are.

It's stuff like this that makes me want to carry around grapefruit halves and smash them into jerks faces, like Jimmy Cagney did.

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 06:10 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I would just love to see that editor immediately after attempting to come to full point on one foot. He or she would be on crutches for a month.

Years ago, I had a roommate who had been a ballet dancer. She hadn't danced ballet for maybe 3 or 4 years at the time. One day she was showing me her shoes, describing how you could only wear them a very few times, and would save a pair that had just about reached perfection, to use at a performance. Damn, those things were expensive too, considering how few times they were used.
Anyway, I asked her to show me some moves, and let me tell you, a grown woman piroutetting in a small apartment living room is a sight to see. She then said, "let me put these shoes on and try to stand on pointe, it's been so long"
She got them on, and went on pointe, on both feet.....for about a quarter of a second. "AAARRG OH GOD", I think was how she put it. Then she limped around for a while.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:03 pm
@chai2,

Quote:
... I wrote that Jenifer Ringer, cast as the Sugar Plum Fairy, “looked as if she’d eaten one sugarplum too many,” and that Jared Angle, as her Cavalier, “seems to have been sampling half the Sweet realm.” ...

This idiot is incredible and a real dolt! This is one reason that I can't stand critics.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:32 am
The world of ballet is a small one--highly structured and lousy with tradition. I'm remembering a few years back when a brilliant dancer at the New York City Ballet was highly criticized for being too tall. Highly criticized. She was 5'6" tall. On point, maybe 5'10".

Do I think that the ballerina in question ate one too many sugar plums? Hell no. She looks about perfect to me. Am I surprised the subject came up? Also, hell no.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:54 am
Yes she is over weight, and yes she knows it
Quote:

While it's the reviewer's job to critique the dancer's performance, commenting on their debatable weight gain just seems cruel. Particularly because in a recent Working Mother magazine profile, Ringer revealed that she once struggled with anorexia and compulsive eating. After gaining weight, she was forced to leave the New York City Ballet in 1997. Ringer says she only decided to return after James Fayette, her dancing partner and future husband, asked her to do The Nutcracker with him in upstate New York:

"At the time I was about forty pounds overweight, and I said to him, ‘I'm huge, and you're not going to want to do this with me.' And he said, ‘No, I really want to do this with you.'" So she said yes.

"It was a miracle that they could find a tutu that fit me!" Jenifer says, laughing. "That was the first time I had been onstage since I quit. I made peace with myself, and I know it's corny, but I looked in the mirror and said, ‘You know, I'm beautiful.'" It was then, when she accepted herself at the weight she was, that she recaptured her joy in dancing. "James sweetly looked at me with eyes that were not the eyes of the ballet world," she adds. "He was a real friend to me."

Read more: http://jezebel.com/5701401/dance-critic-thinks-ballerina-is-too-fat#ixzz184QhSMRZ

The reviewer was right on the money, but this being the spineless NYT I expect a retraction any day now.

Quote:
Jennifer says that her body is more “womanly” than an average ballet dancer. But, from the video, if you bumped into her on the street, you would never think anything of her weight; she looks thin.

But, in the world of ballet, thin might not be enough. Even Natalie Portman recently lost 20 pounds for her role in the ballet movie Black Swan.

The critic has not apologized for his comments saying that being in the ballet world means that your body can be criticized.

http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/2010/12/13/jennifer-ringer-breaking-the-stereotype-of-the-ballet-dancers-body-video/
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:02 am
@hawkeye10,
Not being in proper shape is not a new problem for this woman

Quote:
Stressed out from her hectic schedule, Ringer became physically and emotionally depleted. She says, "I would be so tired and I would think, `If I eat that extra--whatever--it would give me more energy the next day.'" Early in 1996, Ringer suffered a severe back injury that sidelined her for nine months. When she came back, she was heavier and began to lose parts. The company tried to put her in costumes with more coverage, but soon even that wouldn't work. "It was mortifying," says Ringer. "Dancing had become anathema for me." At the close of the 1997 summer season, she left NYCB by mutual agreement, with the caveat that the door was always open.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1083/is_11_75/ai_80116498/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

Dance Magazine Nov 2001

I love how she is making the media rounds telling a story about how she has an "eating disorder" and is recovered, leaving the impression that putting on weight has been a challenge and represents recovery, and that the NYT reviewer is a mean turd for saying the obvious...the truth is that she then and low likes to eat more than a ballet dancer should if they want to stay employed and get good reviews. She has spunk, you gotta give her that..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:58 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

The world of ballet is a small one--highly structured and lousy with tradition. I'm remembering a few years back when a brilliant dancer at the New York City Ballet was highly criticized for being too tall. Highly criticized. She was 5'6" tall. On point, maybe 5'10".

Do I think that the ballerina in question ate one too many sugar plums? Hell no. She looks about perfect to me. Am I surprised the subject came up? Also, hell no.

Yeah, my old roommate would tell me horror stories of what some of the other dancers would do to keep their weight down.
I'm trying to remember the name of the dancer that wrote her biography.

Now, my ex-husbands nephew was also a ballet dancer. It wasn't until I met him that I even thought about what it must be like to pick up, or catch someone flying through the air, hold them other your head, and make it look effortless. He said even a couple of pounds makes a difference.

This woman seems comfortable in her skin, which is what matters. However, it saddens me that there are a lot of woman who would let them determine their happiness.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 03:26 am
@chai2,
Quote:
This woman seems comfortable in her skin, which is what matters
So long as she does not want to dance in a prestigious ballet company, if she does she needs to be thinner, a point she learned long ago.
High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:24 am
@hawkeye10,
That depends on her partner, who has to pick her up, carry her over his head and keep dancing, including high jumps, for long musical stretches; you try to do that with someone who at 5ft 6 weighs 110 lbs, but who (given the choreography) should top out at 100 lbs. Male dancers aren't weightlifters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=660bFimRwjg&feature=related
Ms Ringer looks about the size of the Bolshoi's Anastasia Volochkova who got fired after no male would be her stage partner. This isn't a new problem except to those who neither know ballet nor care - as the NYT critic obviously does. Any of his detractors here have trained or even watched ballet?
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:31 am
i wish i could remember who said this, but i remember reading a quote from a famous curmudgeonly sort of character, and he was questioning his wealthy friends penchant for models, it was something to the effect of "it's like sleeping with a racing bike"

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:40 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
That depends on her partner, who has to pick her up, carry her over his head and keep dancing, including high jumps, for long musical stretches; you try to do that with someone who at 5ft 6 weighs 110 lbs, but who (given the choreography) should top out at 100 lbs. Male dancers aren't weightlifters:
You noticed the part where her dance partner plans to marry her I assume......Great that he is willing to deal with her excess weight, but certainly this is still something that any reputable reviewer would mention, so that the potential audience has fair warning.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:44 am
The real problem is her eyebrows. She needs to do something about her eyebrows.
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:47 am
@Setanta,
she has eyebrows?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:48 am
@djjd62,
How can you not see the eyebrows?? They're the heaviest part of her entire body! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:48 am
@hawkeye10,
The height/weight posted was for the Russian ballerina fired from the Bolshoi after she refused to lose 10 lbs. Ms Ringer looks to be about the same.