Brain Death at the Washington Post

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:37 am
We had several people over for dinner last Sunday at my brothers where my brother's wife had been experimenting with ways to cook up a recent archery victim, and one fellow in attendence along with his wife was several tads more into high end music than most of my acquaintences; he told us a story which has had me sort of chuckling since then.

He said he and his wife had gone to Wolftrap to hear Itzhak Perlman play a particular Mendelsohn piece which is seriously difficult to play and that, rather than play that piece, Perlman commenced playing a much simpler piece which any violinist in the orchestra could have played, and was not doing the best job in the world of playing that. No sort of a notice of a change in the program had been sent or was in evidence anywhere.

After ten minutes, my friend and his wife got up and walked out in disgust and one of the managers stopped them outside the hall and asked what the problem was, and they told him they hadn't come there to hear Perlman butchering a piece which anybody should be able to play. The manager explained that Perlman had damaged his shoulder skiing or something like that the previous weekend and could barely lift his arm.

Kind of reminds me of Roberto Duran with his leg in a cast from a motorcycle accident a week prior, eking out a decision over a fighter he'd normally flatten in two rounds and apologizing to the audience for it a few years back.

At any rate, my friend noted that the Washington Post wrote this sorry performance up the next day as if one of God's angels had descended from the sky and graced the audience with the most fabulous violin performance which had ever been heard since Adam and Eve.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,635 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:48 am
Quote:
The manager explained that Perlman had damaged his shoulder skiing or something like that the previous weekend and could barely lift his arm.

Quote:
Having lost the use of his legs after falling victim to polio at the age of four, Perlman always sits as he plays.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?fuseaction=showIndividual&entity_id=3472&source_type=A

It must be "or something like that" Perlman is disabled. Skiing? I doubt it!

Perlman is an icon, so I suppose that is why the Post waxed rhapsodic about his playing, even though it might have not been up to snuff. I remember the last public days of Frank Sinatra. He sounded awful, but still was getting kudos from the press. Lighten up!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
Obviously it wasn't skiing. He'd basically wiped the rotator cup in his shoulder as I heard it, however, and the Wolftrap center should have announced some sort of a change but didn't. You'd like to think that the Washington Post was simply covering for something they perceived as a fellow leftist organization; unfortunately, I'd write this one off to simple incompetence.

The good news is that the center refunded the price of the two tickets to my friend with no questions.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:57 am
Quote:
You'd like to think that the Washington Post was simply covering for something they perceived as a fellow leftist organization; unfortunately, I'd write this one off to simple incompetence.

What in the world does this have to do with right or left? We're talking about a musical performance, for Pete's sake!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:19 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
You'd like to think that the Washington Post was simply covering for something they perceived as a fellow leftist organization; unfortunately, I'd write this one off to simple incompetence.

What in the world does this have to do with right or left? We're talking about a musical performance, for Pete's sake!

Not really. What I was talking about was the pitiful demise of what once was a great newspaper organization.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 03:03 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Sifting through recordings of Copland's Lincoln Portrait (1942) is a great way of reminding ourselves what it was like when music-lovers weren't so averse to mixing music and politics (not so long ago!). You can always tell which performances are a product of the pre-McCarthy spirit, when Copland could be open about his Leftist leanings, and which are a product of the Communist clampdowns of the late 40s and 50s.

The giveaway line is the bit about "of the people, by the people, for the people." A post-McCarthy narrator will usually read the line thus: "OF the people, BY the people, FOR the people..."

A Coplandite narrator will usually read the line thus: "of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE, for the PEOPLE!"
0 Replies