ROY OF "SIEGRIED & Roy" critical after mauling

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:52 am
Roy of 'Siegfried & Roy' critical after mauling

CNN) -- A 9-year-old white tiger attacked Roy Horn of "Siegfried & Roy" during a Friday night performance on the Las Vegas strip -- the magician and trainer's 59th birthday.

Horn was listed as critical Saturday, according to the University Medical Center for emergency surgery's recorded message service, updated at 2:30 a.m. (5:30 a.m. ET).

More:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/10/04/roy.attacked/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 8,470 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:42 am
That's really a shame. I never did like tigers being in those shows since it's obvious that these things happen no matter how much they train the animal.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
Yeah. I thought maybe this would provoke a conversation about animals being used like this or in the circus or zoos.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:54 am
You just can't take the wild out of some animals even if you start working with them when they're babies and if the animal turns on someone, it usually cost the animal it's life. I have a huge problem with that since the animal lost its freedom in the first place. I'm very surprised that they didn't kill the tiger in this case.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:07 am
I agree. Wild animals are wild animals. No matter how they are raised. We even can't predict what our domesticated animals will do 100 percent.

I wonder if the tiger will be destroyed too. Sig./Roy seem to "love" the tigers so much, so maybe it won't happen. I put quotes around "love" because it seems to me that people that do this are on a power trip or something. It's a kind of "love" with strings (controlling ones) attached for the animal.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:17 am
I agree. White tigers are very rare, so they may spare the animal and I think it might be a good time for that guy to get out of the business. If he truly loves tigers he wouldn't have them living in cages. I don't think any animal should be in a cage and that they should have the right to be free.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:21 am
Well his condition sounds very serious. Let's hope he recovers and sees the light. He's mega rich. With all that money and his "love" for animals he could do some really good things.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:22 am
Montana, while i agree with in some aspects...that idea is very Utopian..
Zoos have helped preserve some species..Man's "progress" has made the animal world a target for extinction...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:24 am
Sad as it is, I am getting a huge laugh out of this story. Laughing However, if the tiger is put down, that would be extremely upsetting to me. Sue me, I'm dual on this issue.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:27 am
willow_tl wrote:
Montana, while i agree with in some aspects...that idea is very Utopian..
Zoos have helped preserve some species..Man's "progress" has made the animal world a target for extinction...

I agree with that since man obviously loves to hunt.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
Willow. That's true. But what about the condition of a lot of zoos? Do you think the educational value of zoos in the long run is worth keeping wild animals captive under those conditions?

Cav: I know what you mean. There is a kind of Grand Guignol aspect to the whole thing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:33 am
I know I would rather die than to live in a cage being gawked at day in and day out.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:34 am
I don't see an alternative Fealola..Zoos are a necessary evil...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:40 am
Montana, in a philosophical moment, said this...

Quote:
I know I would rather die than to live in a cage being gawked at day in and day out

I guess it depends on the circumstances. What if there were a lot of Hostess Twinkies in the cage? Would that sway your opinion? Or what if there was cable tv? Surely that would make a difference. I'm just saying you should think these things out before you are hesitant about being thrown in a cage for the rest of your existence.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:45 am
Well, I suppose you're right Gus. Maybe I did jump the gun a bit there. Throw in a computer and some beer and I'm game ;-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 12:12 pm
For many animals, zoos are an alternative to extinction in the wild. Many of the newer zoos attempt to create as natural environment for the animals as possible.

I question the wisdom of working with tigers in a packed auditorium. As Roy has sadly found out, all the training in the world won't stop a wild animal from attacking, if it makes up its mind to do so.

People engage in all kinds of dangerous activities, which is their right. In most cases, if there is an accident (mountain climbing, sky diving etc.,) it is only the person who is involved in the activity who gets hurt. What would have happened if that tiger had bolted out into the audience?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 12:32 pm
Oy.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 12:34 pm
I agree Phoenix. Way too much can happen in that situation.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:36 pm
There have been a few cases of elephants going on rampages at circuses injuring and killing people.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:40 pm
I remember reading about an elephant who did that a few years back.
0 Replies