Venues to pursue for learning how to voice act professionally for cartoons

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 10:46 am
Hi. Some people here already know I want to produce my own cartoons and comics and showcase them online with the intention of monetizing them.

I would like to learn how to voice act professionally for my own cartoons.

Unfortunately, as of the time of the posting of this, I just learned recently that the voice over course I wanted to take through the Continuing Ed Dept. at my old art school was cancelled due to low enrollment.

What other types of venues are there to pursue to get the voice acting training I want and need?

Whom should I contact?

Is anyone here involved in voice acting or with voice actors?

I'm open to suggestions. Please help- thank you.

Sturgis

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 02:56 pm
Simply enter "Voice over training" or similar , in your search engine.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 06:38 pm
@Sturgis,
I've done that. I am waiting to see what others here have to say.
cherrie

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 07:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
I really doubt that you'll get any more information from anyone here than you would get by googling it.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 09:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
You could google free online voice recording and post the rendition here for appraisal and advice.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:06 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Is anyone here involved in voice acting or with voice actors?

You already know this answer as you asked this question a few thousand times. There is very likely 0 persons active (or ever been active) here at a2k. I take that back... there may have been one person who at one time was a voice actor but hasn't been around since 2012.

JGoldman10 wrote:

What other types of venues are there to pursue to get the voice acting training I want and need?

Whom should I contact?

Not knowing what city or state you live in (if you posted this... I forgotten already). Find the public branch of your nearest city or state department of education to see what accredited schools that teach voice acting are in your area and if you qualify for education grants (in lieu of student loans).

If you're willy nilly going to pick a random online school, there's a chance you will be scammed out of your time and money (and not get any proper training which you need to fulfill your needs). They will likely NOT be accredited; hold a for profit status; not give a damn about you or your learning and just care about the money you give them.

But we know that's what you will choose... if you actually choose to do something at all and not waste your time by researching something for 8+ years and never follow through, ... right?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 10:38 am
@tsarstepan,
There are OTHER people on this site aside from the ones who usually respond to my threads.

I don't remember everything that gets posted on this site.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 10:42 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

There are OTHER people on this site aside from the ones who usually respond to my threads.

Good luck with that. And a great percentage of those OTHER people likely have you on ignore.

You've been a member here at a2k for over 14 years. You may not remember everything posted here in that time period... but for damn sake you should have more than a rough idea in terms of what threads get a rough amount of activity and what topics get pretty much very little activity or better yet ... ignored altogether.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 04:09 pm
I have considered getting a voice acting coach. I'm going to look into that.

As of the time of the posting of this it's Columbus Day weekend 2019. I am going to call the guy who teaches the voice over course through the Continuing Ed Dept. of my old school, which I have expressed an interest in taking and have mentioned here, on Columbus Day.

I still have questions about his course even though his course was cancelled due to low enrollment this term. I didn't understand everything he said to me about his course when I spoke to him on the phone.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 04:55 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I didn't understand everything he said to me about his course when I spoke to him on the phone.

I thought you had an IQ of 170.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 03:10 am
Anyway, the last time I spoke with the instructor who runs a voice acting course through the Contiuning Ed Dept. at my old art school over the phone, it was hard to make out what he said. There was background noise and he spoke a bit too fast for me to understand him.

I communicated to him that I had a bunch of questions pertaining to voice acting and what I could do to prepare for his course. Back in October 2019 he sent me an email telling me to send him numbered brief questions about anything I wanted to know. I did just that; I had to wait a while to do so because I was busy. I sent him an email on New Year's Eve. As of the time of the posting of this I am waiting to hear back from him.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 04:56 am
@JGoldman10,
It doesn't sound ideal. I can't see how you'll learn anything if you can't make out what's being said.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 07:05 am
@izzythepush,
That's why I sent him an email. I told him via email I couldn't understand everything he said to me over the phone.

It's only been a few days since I sent him my last email. I am going to wait a little while for him to respond. If he doesn't respond back with an email answrring my questions soon I will call him.

As I said the email was sent New Year's Eve. He is probably busy.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 08:52 pm
I emailed the Continuing Ed Dept. at my old art college and asked them about alternate venues I can pursue to learn how to voice act professionally and what resources I should look at, get and use on this.

Lately, as of the time of the posting of this I have have practicing vocal characterizations a few times when I'm in public - a few for my OC's and some for established characters, and some celebrity impressions. In my personal experience White folks seem to like it when I do this and most of the Black ones I've encountered either look at me like I'm crazy or ignore me. Lol.

I guess you could consider this social experimentation.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 09:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
As long as you're making an effort, that's what matters most.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 10:11 pm
@Sturgis,
Thank you that's very kind of you to say.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 03:57 am
I was going to ask what books teach people how to voice act professionally, and which ones I should get. I found this link:

http://victoriavoicetalent.com/the-top-5-voiceover-books-for-voice-acting/

If anyone here knows what books on learning how to voice act professionally I should get aside from the ones listed at the link above please feel free to list them.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 11:40 am
I am considering acquiring books - either by buying them, or at the very least by checking them out from my local library, or by both means - to teach myself how to voice act professionally.

At this point in time, as of the time of the posting of this, I don't even know if taking any online courses for learning how to voice act professionally is feasible or if going to any public facility, such as my old art school, to learn how to voice act is feasible.

I can register for a course in learning how to voice act professionally through the Continuing Ed Dept. at my old art school, but I don't know if I can afford to do that right now and I don't even know if the commute to and from my old art school is doable or not.

What other venues for learning how to voice act professionally are there?
solipsister

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 08:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
When you listen to a recording of your normal speaking voice how does it sound without the benefit of training?

Would nightingales swoon in their bowers?

Perhaps you could post a recording of your voice here for analysis.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 12:31 am
@solipsister,
Hello Solip, nice to meet you.

I've been trying my hand at vocal characterizations for a while and I have the potential to be a good voice actor.

I would like to voice my own characters for my own cartoons. Maybe hire a few people to voice some of my characters with me.

I've created voices for a number of original characters I created.

I like doing comedic voices.

I'd like to get training to learn how to voice my characters professionally.

For some character voices I can tweak them using voice changers and such.

How is what my normal speaking voice sounds like relevant?

0 Replies