OMG - Look how obese this woman is.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:56 am
@High Seas,
Quote:

The height/weight posted was for the Russian ballerina fired from the Bolshoi after she refused to lose 10 lbs. Ms Ringer looks to be about the same
Ya, and I dont fault the company for going ahead with her even though she did not lose enough weight given that her BF was willing to deal with her, but this nonsense about how the reviewer was wrong/mean is just nuts. Seriously, if the NYT does its usual BS and prints a retraction then it is time to stop reading their webpage for good (I gave up the print after their downsizing around 2005).

Edit: I should note that my wife danced with the NYCB for a couple of years....
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The real problem is her eyebrows. She needs to do something about her eyebrows.

A perfect response to anyone, who is obviously within their weight range, when they are letting some elusive quest for weight loss control their lives.

"Well, the problem is your eyebrows, you just need to do something about them"

Maybe not. Maybe then they would just obsess over their eyebrows as well as those 10 pounds.
"If only I could loose 10 pounds, and do something about my eyebrows, I'd (get that job, find the perfect man, be happy, ad infinitum)"
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:23 am
Cool . . . they could find many other things to obsess over, too, right?
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:30 am
@Setanta,
Yes!
That's the beauty of it all!

Tell me the truth, does this font make my ass look big?
High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:38 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Edit: I should note that my wife danced with the NYCB for a couple of years....

That's so interesting - was it in the days of Makarova and Kirkland? Both qualified as prima ballerina assoluta as you know. The NYC ballet hasn't been able to to match that level in the years since the Russians came back after the Soviet collapse; their dancers have consistently ranked higher than ours.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:42 am
@chai2,
Uh . . . uh . . . i'm feeling suddenly rather dizzy . . . i think i need to go lie down for a while . . . what was the question?
0 Replies

pseudoIntellectual

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:46 am
@chai2,
She is not fat. It really is that simple. True, in Ballet they want light or thin women but the terminology, if someone called her 'fat' then it is BS. For the critic to say what he said just marks him out as a total ass.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:59 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

.... I dont fault the company for going ahead with her even though she did not lose enough weight given that her BF was willing to deal with her....

As long as his back holds out the 2 of them should be very happy together - but perhaps the audience and the critics less so:
http://web.mac.com/tressorgroup/iWeb/Veronika%20Part/Slide%20Show_files/Sleeping%20Beauty%20MET%2007.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 07:09 am
Who gives a rat's ass if the critics are impressed? The audience will be pleased if they dance to a high standard, and provide good entertainment.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 07:12 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
The reviewer was right on the money, but this being the spineless NYT I expect a retraction any day now.

There wasn't a retraction -- the first I knew about it was from his "no I won't retract anything" article, which was actually rather convincing.

Alastair Macaulay wrote:
Which art requires more exposure of the human form than the nude in painting, photography or sculpture? Ballet, of course. Dancers — even when sheathed in tights, tunics, tutus — open their bodies up in the geometrical shapes and academic movements that ballet has codified, and so they make their bodies subject to the most intense scrutiny.

[...]

When a dancer has surplus weight, there can be no more ruthless way to demonstrate it than to dance in a tutu with shoulders bare. Some steps (notably, traveling across the stage on point with arms outstretched) open the upper body to maximum legibility, others the lower. If Ms. Ringer performed flamenco or Bharatanatyam or most forms of contemporary dance, she would look extremely slim. In most of her recent ballet roles, she has actually looked slender.

[...goes into how this is nothing new with ballet...]

In our own time many other female dancers with obvious physical imperfections have made impressions far greater than those whose bodies were ballet-perfect. But that’s their task: in an Apollonian art that requires purity of line, precision of execution and harmony of appearance, dancers with less than ideal shapes must bring other qualities to bear. Many have, and Ms. Ringer does, too, with several roles. This particular Sugar Plum Fairy — one of her rare tutu parts these days — was not one of them.

Some correspondents have argued that the body in ballet is “irrelevant.” Sorry, but the opposite is true. If you want to make your appearance irrelevant to criticism, do not choose ballet as a career. The body in ballet becomes a subject of the keenest observation and the most intense discussion. I am severe — but ballet, as dancers know, is more so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/arts/dance/04ballet.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 07:19 am
@chai2,
How is a more traditional Sugar Plum Fairy supposed to look? Like a pre-pubescent boy, perhaps?

She looks fine to me in that photograph.
And also healthy, a terrific achievement considering .....:

Quote:
...The dancer suffered from anorexia when she first joined the company. She left the company, recovered, and recently had a baby. Online, writers and fans leaped to her defense, which she said surprised and encouraged her.

"It did make me feel bad about myself, but I really had to tell myself it was one person's opinion out of the 2,000 people that were there last night," she said

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101213/us_yblog_thelookout/sugar-plum-fairy-doesnt-want-apology-from-critic-who-called-her-fat
High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 07:26 am
@High Seas,
Edit, of course I meant to say neither the ABT nor the NYCB - nor any of our other major ballet companies, either.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 07:56 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
You noticed the part where her dance partner plans to marry her

You're mixing the articles, and dance partners up.

James Fayette was her dancing partner who encouraged her to return to dance (and is her husband-to-be, per the article).

Her partner in the current production is Jared Angle.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 08:01 am
I understand the logistics to being a small framed person to be able to do such physical dance AND be easy enough to be carried over someones head, lifted up and turned..etc..etc

but someone really needs to feed that girl.
She is too thin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 08:02 am
And do something about her eyebrows . . . don't forget the eyebrows.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 08:25 am
its bert on crack

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_k4ZFdohXYv0/TD2WElxF9dI/AAAAAAAAAJI/us9aUe0Dey8/s1600/sesamstrasse_bert.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 08:34 am
If her weight affects the quality of her dancing, then it might be a legitimate criticism.

If folks enjoy the dancing, then STFU.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:56 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

How is a more traditional Sugar Plum Fairy supposed to look? ..

You haven't seen the ballet recently? You'll recognize the music. It's a dream sequence, one of very few roles where the prima ballerina appears in her nightgown; she's supposed to look ethereal. Possibly the greatest Sugar Plum Fairy ever was Gelsey Kirkland, here with Mikhail Baryshnikov:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6NCE9GlU7s
Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 04:00 pm
@High Seas,
olga, Ballerinas should look small, light as air, delicate. No jiggling of any body parts. The sugar plum fairy is no exception. I suspect that many young women are prevented from dancing in the ballet because they have the wrong body type.

How I love the Nutcracker Suite. It used to be an annual event for me. The NYC Ballet version is magic.

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 04:50 pm
@Roberta,
It depends a bit on the role as well - some require stronger musculature than the Sugarplum Fairy; e.g. La Bayadere. Baryshnikov again, with Makarova:
http://www.artsjournal.com/foot/Makarova-%20Baryshnikov%202-thumb-825x561.jpg
0 Replies