What are your thoughts on homosexuals raising children?

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 12:58 pm
I am doing a research project. Please help.. give me all views!!

Does the sexual orientation of parents matter?

How might a gay or lesbian couples' parenting style differ from that of the traditional mother/ father?

What affects do you think this may have on the children? Any negative impacts? Positive affects?

Should gay and lesbian couples be allowed to adopt?

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:16 pm
@mywhitesox,
gays and Lebanese should be banned from polite society and transported to Enid Oklahoma where they are denied all legal rights including parenting and voting. In due time Enid Oklahoma will cease to exist as will homosexuals. America for Americans I say.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:18 pm
@mywhitesox,
The sexual orientation of the parents DO NOT MATTER. As long as the parents love and support their child/children then the parents' sexuality is moot.

The only sociological proven negative impact is external where bigots outside the family take vicious and unnecessarily unwarranted pot shots at the children and their parents because the parents' lifestyle hurt the hate mongering bigot's sensibilities and well too bad for them.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
you are a perpetuator of Enid Oklahoma and perversions. for shame!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:22 pm
@dyslexia,
Will the State be provide a free one way Greyhound or Amtrak ticket? Razz
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Amtrak to Enid? you're kidding, right?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:27 pm
@dyslexia,
Yes I am kidding... (?)
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
well I'm not kidding, I mean every word.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:36 pm
@mywhitesox,
I'm disappointed in today's society.

Homosexuals raising children is not really a point to argue. A homosexual is just as qualified as any heterosexual, and in some cases more so, at raising children. Heterosexuals and homosexuals can be both bad parents and good parents and it's the individual that decides the parent they are, not their sexuality. Sexual orientation does not matter.

Gay or lesbian couples may be more open to publicly critisized things or willing to try other parenting methods. They will likely have children that encounter the 'your mom/dad is gay!' jeer. Parents will have to find a successful way of raising open and confident children regardless of public's view of their family/parents. I had a friend growing up who's mother was a lesbian. I know it was hard on her hearing others poke fun at her mother. She was all around accepting and open, though, and I'd say her mother was much of the reason.

They probably will be less likely to have the closed-minded 'gays are bad' view. They will probably also have to learn to build a foundation of character with the bricks others throw at them. Depending on the child, they may or may not take the outward pressure well.

Yes. Not allowing them to adopt is prejudice. Homosexuals have the same rights any other person does.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:38 pm
@dyslexia,
I mean really Tzar, Danny Thomas was Lebanese and he raised that Margo woman who married that Phil guy from Chicago and we all know about corrupt Chicago politics. Enid Oklahoma is the only answer that can save america.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 06:12 pm
If gay couples adopt a child, I believe, they are doing a good deed in giving a "permanent loving home" to a child that does not have one. Since homosexuals are here to stay, it seems to me, that would be a good use by society of gay couples. If lesbians have there own children, through artificial insemination, then it is another ballgame that I would prefer not to comment on.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 07:47 pm
@Subliminal0,
Subliminal0 wrote:

I'm disappointed in today's society.

Homosexuals raising children is not really a point to argue. A homosexual is just as qualified as any heterosexual, and in some cases more so, at raising children. Heterosexuals and homosexuals can be both bad parents and good parents and it's the individual that decides the parent they are, not their sexuality. Sexual orientation does not matter.

Gay or lesbian couples may be more open to publicly critisized things or willing to try other parenting methods. They will likely have children that encounter the 'your mom/dad is gay!' jeer. Parents will have to find a successful way of raising open and confident children regardless of public's view of their family/parents. I had a friend growing up who's mother was a lesbian. I know it was hard on her hearing others poke fun at her mother. She was all around accepting and open, though, and I'd say her mother was much of the reason.

They probably will be less likely to have the closed-minded 'gays are bad' view. They will probably also have to learn to build a foundation of character with the bricks others throw at them. Depending on the child, they may or may not take the outward pressure well.

Yes. Not allowing them to adopt is prejudice. Homosexuals have the same rights any other person does.

At first I thought you were simply guilty of poor sentence structure but as I continued to read your post it struck me that you might be trying to make a case for how simply being homosexual might make one a better parent than a heterosexual.

Are you attempting to make such a case?
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 08:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't see what my grammar has to do with hetero/homosexuals raising children. Besides, isn't it hypocritical to point out bad sentence structure on my part while you're preaching it with a run-on sentence?

I'm not arguing that homosexuals are better capable of being parents. I'm simply saying that some homosexuals would surely make better parents than some of the heterosexuals I know. At the sime time, the opposite is true in other cases. The fact is that anyone has a right to be a parent and anyone has a right to whatever orientation they choose [without this being taken out of context]. Heterosexuals make bad and good parents depending on the person. Homosexuals make bad and good parents depending on the person. Homosexuals are people just like any heterosexual; the only difference in their life to anyone else's life is who they choose to sleep with. That has nothing to do with the amount of love and dedication they would have in raising their children.

"trying to make a case for how simply being homosexual might make one a better parent than a heterosexual." - Just like everyone who is heterosexual and prejudice is trying to make a case for how simply being homosexual might make one a >worse< parent than a heterosexual? Reasoning is always fair when you balance the equation.
PaddyH

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:03 pm
@mywhitesox,
Is homosexuality born or bred,nature or nurture?
If born homosexual parents would not affect the child.
If bred then heterosexual parents are responsible for those growing up homosexual.

Born or bred,nature or nurture?
There are homosexual people whatever the cause.

One might just as well ask is intolerance like that displayed by dyslexia:

Born or bred,nature or nurture?
Ceili

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:16 pm
I can't imagine anyone choosing to be gay, what with all the haters out there, so I vote for nature v.s. nurture.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:20 pm
@PaddyH,
PaddyH, you have just dropped the IQ of a2k membership by 2 standard deviations.
Subliminal0

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 12:12 am
@PaddyH,
Born or bred is really not an argument either, no offense. If that were the case, homosexuality would not exist because a heterosexual person could then not make a homosexual person.

It's widely accepted in psychology that the orientation in a child is determined before birth. In fact, it's considered to be determined during lateralization. Therefore, orientation isn't bred. It's considered spontaneous as far as I'm aware. It's not a choice, either, which further proves lateralization. I don't know anyone who would willingly be homosexual with today's view on the subject. It would almost have to not be a choice.

About the only way a parent's orientation might affect their child is leaving them predisposed to accepting the life style. They might be more willing to experiment in both realms, but really, finding yourself isn't such a crime.
0 Replies

PaddyH

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 02:04 am
@dyslexia,
Really! My aim was to lift it from the depths you've taken it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 05:40 pm
@Subliminal0,
Subliminal0 wrote:

I don't see what my grammar has to do with hetero/homosexuals raising children. Besides, isn't it hypocritical to point out bad sentence structure on my part while you're preaching it with a run-on sentence?

I'm not arguing that homosexuals are better capable of being parents. I'm simply saying that some homosexuals would surely make better parents than some of the heterosexuals I know. At the sime time, the opposite is true in other cases. The fact is that anyone has a right to be a parent and anyone has a right to whatever orientation they choose [without this being taken out of context]. Heterosexuals make bad and good parents depending on the person. Homosexuals make bad and good parents depending on the person. Homosexuals are people just like any heterosexual; the only difference in their life to anyone else's life is who they choose to sleep with. That has nothing to do with the amount of love and dedication they would have in raising their children.

"trying to make a case for how simply being homosexual might make one a better parent than a heterosexual." - Just like everyone who is heterosexual and prejudice is trying to make a case for how simply being homosexual might make one a >worse< parent than a heterosexual? Reasoning is always fair when you balance the equation.

I'm sorry if you took my comment as a critique. I didn't intend it to be so.

Clearly, I am guilty of grammatical errors myself and don't hold anyone to a standard that I can't achieve.

It did seem, though, that you were making the case that because homosexuals are perforce more open minded than heterosexuals, that they would make better parents as far as open mindedness is highly valued.

That's why I asked the question.

If you're saying your not making the case, that's fine with me.

I'm sure some people are making the argument that all homosexuals make bad parents simply because they are homosexual, and clearly there are homosexuals who, by every common standard, are 'better people" than some heterosexuals, but all other things being equal, is it better for children to be raised by heterosexual, rather than homosexual, parents?

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 05:44 pm
What are your thoughts on homosexuals raising children?

do you mean like, up above their heads, if so they should be very careful, a six foot person is going to lifting the child over 7 feet in the air, if they were to drop them they could really get hurt, i'm against anyone raising children in this manner
0 Replies