ehBeth

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:29 pm
https://politicalwire.com/2016/09/14/keeping-trump-quiet-may-be-key-to-closing-gap/

Quote:
“Republicans have may finally hit on the one easy trick to making their presidential nominee palatable: Minimize the words emerging from Donald Trump’s mouth that aren’t written ahead of time by somebody else,” the Huffington Post reports.

“Since his most recent campaign shakeup last month, Trump has not held a news conference, has cut back on in-depth Sunday show appearances and has almost completely eliminated speeches that aren’t scripted and displayed on his teleprompter screens.”

“Nevertheless, if recent polls are accurate, the plan does seem to be working: Voters are responding better to Trump talking more like a generic Republican than they did to Trump talking like Trump.”

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:30 pm
@maporsche,
Good point
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:32 pm
When millions of Americans are giddy about categorizing millions of their fellow Americans as deplorable and irredeemable, we are at a tipping point in our history.
georgeob1

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:39 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

ITrump voters is a different story, but not everyone who will vote for Trump is a supporter of his.

I don't claim to know the numbers either but the estimate I gave for what Hillary's 50% likely meant is reasonable.

I agree with you about likely voting motivations. However in this area we must all be wary of jumping to conclusions. We can't really know what others think and what really motivates their actions. We can guess and speculate, but we can't know for sure. That I believe was Hillary's most serious fault in this rather silly event.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

When millions of Americans are giddy about categorizing millions of their fellow Americans as deplorable and irredeemable, we are at a tipping point in our history.

When we find millions of deplorable and irredeemable racists, xenophobes and homophobes supporting one political party, we are at a tipping point in our history.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:56 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

When we find millions of deplorable and irredeemable racists, xenophobes and homophobes supporting one political party, we are at a tipping point in our history.

Thanks for making my point, although I should have added "sanctimonious" to "giddy"
snood

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 01:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

snood wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Thanks for making my point, although I should have added "sanctimonious" to "giddy"

Priceless. Finn calling someone else sanctimonious. Whatever. You can't deny that the racists and other assholes are flocking to Trump. You're just in a twist that Hillary said it publicly.
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 01:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In the states where Trump won they conducted polls, so we do know what some of Trump supporters actually think. Some of them wish the south had won the civil war. They regret freeing the slaves. The KKK and other white supremacist have come out and said they finally have a candidate for them. The polled supported banning Muslims which is being prejudiced against people of a certain religion. Is it being sanctimonious to point this out and to condemn it by saying these attitudes are deplorable? Is it acceptable to wish the south had won the civil war and African Americans who came over here in chains had never been set free or is it a deplorable wish? No one is irredeemable, but then we can't accept these attitudes which have been highlighted by the Trump campaign and his supporters who have cheered every disgusting thing the man has said. I don't recall any republicans on this forum condemning Trump for making fun of a handicapped reporter which was about the most disgusting thing I can remember in my lifetime of a leader or candidate for a US presidency. Call me sanctimonious if you wish but some words and actions are just not acceptable in a decent society.
engineer

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 01:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Not giddy, horrified. We have a candidate who has no qualifications to be President other than he is an unrepentant racist and millions of Americans are happy to see it. Horrified Finn, just horrified. Even if he were well qualified, how can people hand the reins of the justice department to someone so openly racist, biased and xenophobic? How can you let him select judges at all levels when he's stated that judges qualifications are tied to their nationality. What American would turn a blind eye to that? Horrified, not giddy, not sanctimonious, not happy in any way, just horrified.
revelette2

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 01:30 pm
How Trump's foreign business ties could upend national security
Quote:

If Donald Trump is elected president, will he and his family permanently sever all connections to the Trump Organization, a sprawling business empire that has spread a secretive financial web across the world? Or will Trump instead choose to be the most conflicted president in American history, one whose business interests will constantly jeopardize the security of the United States?

Throughout this campaign, the Trump Organization, which pumps potentially hundreds of millions of dollars into the Trump family’s bank accounts each year, has been largely ignored. As a private enterprise, its businesses, partners and investors are hidden from public view, even though they are the very people who could be enriched by—or will further enrich—Trump and his family if he wins the presidency.

A close examination by Newsweek of the Trump Organization, including confidential interviews with business executives and some of its international partners, reveals an enterprise with deep ties to global financiers, foreign politicians and even criminals, although there is no evidence the Trump Organization has engaged in any illegal activities. It also reveals a web of contractual entanglements that could not be just canceled. If Trump moves into the White House and his family continues to receive any benefit from the company, during or even after his presidency, almost every foreign policy decision he makes will raise serious conflicts of interest and ethical quagmires.

The Mumbai Shuffle

The Trump Organization is not like the Bill, Hillary & Chelsea Clinton Foundation, the charitable enterprise that has been the subject of intense scrutiny about possible conflicts for the Democratic presidential nominee. There are allegations that Hillary Clinton bestowed benefits on contributors to the foundation in some sort of “pay to play” scandal when she was secretary of state, but that makes no sense because there was no “pay.” Money contributed to the foundation was publicly disclosed and went to charitable efforts, such as fighting neglected tropical diseases that infect as many as a billion people. The financials audited by PricewaterhouseCoopers, the global independent accounting company, and the foundation’s tax filings show that about 90 percent of the money it raised went to its charitable programs. (Trump surrogates have falsely claimed that it was only 10 percent and that the rest was used as a Clinton “slush fund.”) No member of the Clinton family received any cash from the foundation, nor did it finance any political campaigns. In fact, like the Clintons, almost the entire board of directors works for free.
On the other hand, the Trump family rakes in untold millions of dollars from the Trump Organization every year. Much of that comes from deals with international financiers and developers, many of whom have been tied to controversial and even illegal activities. None of Trump’s overseas contractual business relationships examined by Newsweek were revealed in his campaign’s financial filings with the Federal Election Commission, nor was the amount paid to him by his foreign partners. (The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for the names of all foreign entities in partnership or contractually tied to the Trump Organization.) Trump’s financial filings also indicate he is a shareholder or beneficiary of several overseas entities, including Excel Venture LLC in the French West Indies and Caribusiness Investments SRL, based in the Dominican Republic, one of the world’s tax havens.

Trump’s business conflicts with America’s national security interests cannot be resolved so long as he or any member of his family maintains a financial interest in the Trump Organization during a Trump administration, or even if they leave open the possibility of returning to the company later. The Trump Organization cannot be placed into a blind trust, an arrangement used by many politicians to prevent them from knowing their financial interests; the Trump family is already aware of who their overseas partners are and could easily learn about any new ones.

Many foreign governments retain close ties to and even control of companies in their country, including several that already are partnered with the Trump Organization. Any government wanting to seek future influence with President Trump could do so by arranging for a partnership with the Trump Organization, feeding money directly to the family or simply stashing it away inside the company for their use once Trump is out of the White House. This is why, without a permanent departure of the entire Trump family from their company, the prospect of legal bribery by overseas powers seeking to influence American foreign policy, either through existing or future partnerships, will remain a reality throughout a Trump presidency.

Moreover, the identity of every partner cannot be discovered if Trump reverses course and decided to release his taxes. The partnerships are struck with some of the more than 500 entities disclosed in Trump’s financial disclosure forms; each of those entities has its own records that would have to be revealed for a full accounting of all of Trump’s foreign entanglements to be made public.

The rest at the source. The more we dig and know, the more it is pretty clear a Trump presidency would be a disaster on many levels.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 01:38 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Not giddy, horrified. We have a candidate who has no qualifications to be President other than he is an unrepentant racist and millions of Americans are happy to see it. Horrified Finn, just horrified. Even if he were well qualified, how can people hand the reins of the justice department to someone so openly racist, biased and xenophobic? How can you let him select judges at all levels when he's stated that judges qualifications are tied to their nationality. What American would turn a blind eye to that? Horrified, not giddy, not sanctimonious, not happy in any way, just horrified.

Wow! How about dialing back on the drama?

You haven't for even a moment thought "Maybe I'm getting carried away. There's plenty to dislike about this guy but it's silly to consider him the reincarnation of Adolph Hitler, and even if he was our system of checks and balances will stymie any attempt he makes to act like Hitler" (Unless you think he has an army of goons at his beck and call)
engineer

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 01:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No. The power of the Presidency is immense. Saying "ok, I'll let a racist be President because Congress and the courts will control him" is complete idiocy. The Justice Department works directly for the President and he decides through his appointments which crimes to pursue and which to pretty much ignore. The judges that he appoints serve for life. Selecting a President who is not committed, even with just lip service, to the equality and rights of all Americans is not a line I'm willing to cross. I'm willing to debate social programs, taxes, economic development, oil pipelines, the roles of corporations, etc. I've done all of that on A2K. I'm not willing to debate whether all Americans receive our basic civil liberties, and people who are saying, "sure Trump is a racist but that's not so bad because he supports a tax cut for the wealthy" are making an inherently racist decision. If it was you whose rights were under attack, you might not think that tax cut was so valuable. The United States has often not lived up to our ideals, but that is why they are ideals, something to strive for. A vote for Trump is a vote directly against our American ideals. I doubt Trump is Hitler if only because Hitler was smarter and more driven, but Hitler got into office the same way. People who should have known better voted to throw away everything that defined them because of some empty promises.
cicerone imposter

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 02:07 pm
@engineer,
Trump said why have nuclear weapons if we don't use them. Trump is not qualified to be our president. He just doesn't understand the damage nuclear weapons does to this planet. It harms everybody; not just the place where the bomb is dropped. He is too ignorant about too many issues to be the president of any country.
Why nuclear weapons is bad for everybody.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-robock/ukraine-and-nuclear-weapo_b_5014360.html
AC14747

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 02:16 pm
@izzythepush,
And yet...you are still talking to me...I think you're vin love!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 02:46 pm
@engineer,

Well, I guess my entreaty to dial back the drama fell on deaf ears.

What is idiocy is to declare he is just close enough to a monster like Hitler.

I despise HRC and I don''t want her to win, but if she does, chances are her harm will not be realized for, at least, years to come, and they will be a contribution, not a percipitator

She's not Stalin or Hitler in a pants suit.

She's an irredeemable liar, but she's not Stalin or Hitler in a pants suit.

Quote:
"ok, I'll let a racist be President because Congress and the courts will control him"

Who said that?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 02:47 pm
@revelette2,
Oh please! As if you could ever be objective about this subject
Below viewing threshold (view)
lmur

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 03:02 pm
@High Strangeness,
High Strangeness wrote:

said- "Trump said why have nuclear weapons if we don't use them. Trump is not qualified to be our president"
----------------------------------------

Pres Truman nuked Japan and it instantly ended the war, let's hope Trump uses nukes against that overgrown brat who runs North Korea if he asks for it..Smile

Ah, Romeo Fabulini. Long time no see. You've lost a decade since you were last here!
High Strangeness

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 03:10 pm
@lmur,
I think it's been 2 years since Romeo was here but he must have made a terrific impression because the atheists and fundies here are running around wetting themselves at the mention of his name..Smile
snood

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 03:15 pm
@High Strangeness,
High Strangeness wrote:

I think it's been 2 years since Romeo was here but he must have made a terrific impression because the atheists and fundies here are running around wetting themselves at the mention of his name..Smile

If they're wetting themselves it's more likely at how ridiculous you, er I mean he, is er I mean was. Hey, how is it that you know about Romeo if you just joined the forum this month?