hawkeye10

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 12:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Newt said today that Trump "absolutely could be" the nominee.

That is my sense.
Frank Apisa

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 02:45 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The Quinnipiac University poll, released Thursday, also shows Donald Trump smashing the GOP presidential competition garnering 28% support from registered Republican voters in the 17-member field. The real estate mogul's closest competitor is retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who tallies 12%.

Just 7% said they would vote for former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, a record low since November 2013.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/politics/donald-trump-jeb-bush-poll-quinnipiac/

We hear over and over that Trump cant win, that Bush is the guy the Elites have picked, but so far in seems that the people are not following the directive.

Yeah, you're right. We do hear that over and over.

And there are many of us who are hoping against hope that those people are wrong.

One of the things I dream about...is that the Republicans choose Trump...and maybe someone like Sarah Palin or Ted Cruz for the second spot.

I cannot tell you how much I hope those people are wrong, Hawk...and that you are right!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 02:47 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Newt said today that Trump "absolutely could be" the nominee.

That is my sense.

Excuse the expression, but...

FROM YOUR LIPS TO GOD'S EARS!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:46 pm
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/da7403ae95153c7fe3b2d8a17a6c5125a2b40bb8/c=53-19-1210-889&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/08/29/DetroitFreePress/DetroitFreePress/635764112652923045-30.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 09:39 pm

Trump: Everyone Likes Me, Even The Klan!

Published on Aug 30, 2015

Donald Trump received the endorsement of a former presidential candidate today. Unfortunately that man is David Duke, who also is a former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Trump was recently asked about this. Cenk Uygur, Ben Mankiewicz (Turner Classic Movies), John Iadarola (Think Tank), and Jimmy Dore (The Jimmy Dore Show Podcast), hosts of the The Young Turks, break it down on tonight’s TYT Power Panel. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"Former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke recently praised Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump for his tough stance on undocumented immigrants, which Duke called the “greatest immediate threat to the American people...”

“And I think he realizes that his path to popularity toward power in the Republican Party is talking about the immigration issue,” the radio host continued. “And he has really said some incredibly great things recently. So whatever his motivation, I don’t give a damn. I really like the fact that he’s speaking out on this greatest immediate threat to the American people.””*
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 10:39 pm
Trump loves the Bible. Yet can't name a verse. And accidently insults Jesus Christ.

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/27/watch_donald_trump_refuse_to_name_any_verses_in_his_favorite_book_the_bible/

“The Bible means a lot to me, but I don’t want to get into specifics,” Trump told Bloomberg’s Mark Halperin, refusing to list one or two favorite verses.

Pressed again, Trump said the Bible was simply too personal to discuss publicly: “I wouldn’t want to get into it because to me that’s very personal. You know, when I talk about the Bible, it’s very personal, so I don’t want to get into verses.”

John Heilemann, searching for a workaround, then asked Trump if he considered himself “an Old Testament guy or a New Testament guy.”

“Probably equal,” Trump answered matter-of-factly, explaining his inability to select just one: “The whole Bible is just incredible.”

Trump has also said he can’t remember the last time he sought the almighty’s forgiveness, dismissing Holy Communion in the process. “When I drink my little wine — which is about the only wine I drink — and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness, and I do that as often as possible because I feel cleansed,”

------------------------------------

He's such a good Christian. No wonder, the fundies love him. He's not getting into specifics about the Bible, he loves all of it, all of it.

He derides the Blood of Christ as "a little wine" and he derides the Body of Christ as "a little cracker", but who cares about Donald Trump denigrating and insulting the holiest aspect of Christianity? He said that he loves the Bible! All of it!

The Bible is the Religious Right's golden calf. They dance around it, they worship it, and they don't care about what it means or contains.
roger

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 10:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

“The Bible means a lot to me, but I don’t want to get into specifics,” Trump told Bloomberg’s Mark Halperin, refusing to list one or two favorite verses.

Somehow, that reminds me of Sarah Palin when asked which periodicals she used for world news.

Almost forgot: “The whole Bible is just incredible.” It is incredible to me, too.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:09 am
The Rude Pundit - Taking Donald Trump Seriously (Or Not)

Okay, fine, so we're supposed to pretend to take Donald Trump seriously and continue to indulge this fantasy so narcissistic that Kanye West has called him to take that **** down a notch. Well, then, let's do it. Let's say that Trump actually has proposals worthy of consideration beyond "Are you ******* kidding?" If you go to his website and click on "issues," there is still only one: immigration reform. That's it.

And if you read it, you'll see that Trump fully believes (or doesn't - it's hard to tell what **** he actually believes and what **** is just expediency for the moment) that "solving" the problem of undocumented workers will solve pretty much every other problem in the country, from terrorism to poverty. It's so fuckin' miraculous that no one ever thought before to scapegoat one group and order their purging. It cures all that ails a nation, no?

Beyond actual, seriously-stated proposals like that we should economically sanction and diplomatically isolate Mexico until that nation pays for a 2000 mile border wall, what's most fascinating are the links to articles that make up the "research" that's gone into the plan. No less than half a dozen times, Trump cites the conservative news port-a-potty, Breitbart, which means either he's paying good money in exchange for blow jobs and clicks or he just doesn't give a **** what his sources are.

'Cause, see, for example, Trump offers the kind of proposal makes stupid people smile stupidly because they think it's common sense: "Use the monies saved on expensive refugee programs to help place American children without parents in safer homes and communities, and to improve community safety in high crime neighborhoods in the United States." And he links to two Breitbart articles. For "high crime neighborhoods," he sends us not to crime statistics or even a report of criminality. No, we get to click over to an article that is a summary of a caller to Laura Ingraham's radio ear bleeder. No ****, it's a woman claming to be black and living in Baltimore who says she wants asylum from crime in her neighborhood, which may well be true, except if you're passing it off as news, you motherfucking confirm that it is a real person with a real opinion and not some fucknut who wants to hear their bullshit on the radio. But for a presidential candidate to use that as a demonstration of the effects of high crime rates is laughably absurd, if we still had the capacity to find all this absurd anymore.

On it goes. Another link is to a Breitbart article that is, **** you not, a reprint of an abstract of a study, along with the first paragraph of the introduction. In other words, the article's "writer" didn't even bother to read the ******* study about how immigrant workers affect native workers in the United States. One other frightening thing comes out of looking at Trump's "research." Most of these articles are about the effects of documented and undocumented workers. In other words, it's not just an attack on "illegals." It's an attack on immigrants coming here and taking our jobs or some such fucked-up lie.

This isn't an indictment of Breitbart. If you go to the circus, expect to see heaps of elephant dung. But it is an indictment of Trump, who doesn't give a **** who his "experts" are. You been on TV saying **** Trump likes? You're hired. Who the **** cares if you're associated with white supremacists. And it's an indictment of the knuckle-dragging yahoos and racist opportunists who see in Trump their idiot god who says what they really want said.

Sure, sure, we can pretend that these are serious proposals. But if we do, we have to seriously contend with the hatred from which they spring and the hatred that they provoke. We have to seriously understand that a large contingent of the Republican Party is no longer hiding its racist anger. Instead, it's out in the open. We thought that would make it less frightening, if we could see its face and hear its awful words.

It doesn't.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2015/08/taking-donald-trump-seriously-or-not.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 02:11 pm
Quote:
This year, with Donald Trump leading the fray, there’s something of a consolidated conservative movement—the real estate magnate draws from the same voters who gave Cain and Gingrich their time in the light. And in that space, he’s joined by Ben Carson, the neurosurgeon-turned public speaker-turned presidential candidate, who hits second place in most national polls of the GOP primary field. But votes are just one part of this game; you need party support too, and that’s just not in the cards for either Trump or Carson.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/09/the_republican_party_needs_a_mitt_romney_why_donald_trump_isn_t_the_gop.html

I dont know that in 2015 a candidate needs party support. Why does Trump need party support when that fact that he can ignore the parties elite because of his wealth is a part of his appeal? Would Trump actually come out ahead given the anti Washington climate if he used corporate class marketers rather than the Washington establishment marketers to drive his campaign? IDK, but it is not at all clear to me that Trump needs party support here either.

Quote:
The only “plausible” candidate left—someone to bridge the gaps among all party factions—is Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. What he lacks in Bush’s money or Walker’s electoral success he has in raw talent: Rubio is the most gifted communicator of the field, with enough savvy to avoid Trump’s traps. He doesn’t engage Trump on immigration or try to swat him away. Instead, he talks policy, tries to distinguish himself with substance, and marches toward his goal.

Rubio, in other words, has the simple combination of discipline and message—movement conservatism, shorn of its roughest edges—that leads to victory. He, put differently, is the closet candidate in the field to the last election’s Romney. If I were a Republican donor or activist trying to make a decision, I’d give the young senator another look.

So a Washington insider with very few accomplishments is the "only plausible" candidate with a pissed off as people are with a broken Washington? I say another evaluation is in order.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I dont know that in 2015 a candidate needs party support.

Its awful hard to read past this sort of stuff. You state this like its a provable fact beyond the "I dont know " part.

As if no candidate wants to be burdened with national committee support.If thats true, why bother with a convention? I like it, you want a "last man standing scenario"! I know: M-16s at fifty paces.

I say stuff, but you know what mean.
hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 06:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
If thats true, why bother with a convention? I
The two parties have rigged the system so that only one of them will win, so ya, someone needs enough support to be on one of their ballets. However, we were talking about the people who are already cleared to be on ballots, and in that context it is not clear to me that Trump needs any more support than that. I was calling the claim iffy, not claiming that it was not true.

I did not figure to have such comprehension problems with you. Howfully you are clear now.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 06:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
What you wrote:
Quote:
The two parties have rigged the system so that only one of them will win, so ya, someone needs enough support to be on one of their ballets. However, we were talking about the people who are already cleared to be on ballots, and in that context it is not clear to me that Trump needs any more support than that. I was calling the claim iffy, not claiming that it was not true.

I did not figure to have such comprehension problems with you. Howfully you are clear now.

What we all heard in our minds as we read it:

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 08:46 pm
10 Times White Nationalists Supported Donald Trump (and Why This Should Scare You)
An emerging trend, a media still asleep at the wheel.
By Adam Johnson / AlterNet
August 31, 2015

Print
Comments

Donald Trump is achieving two feats simultaneously that, based on conventional wisdom, should be impossible. His poll numbers are skyrocketing while his support among Hispanics - a group that makes up 6-8% of the GOP voting base - has bottomed out to unprecedented lows. Roughly 65% of Hispanics have an unfavorable view of Trump, a staggering 40 points higher than the second to least popular,Ted Cruz at 24%. While Hispanics are not historically a sizable bloc of GOP voters, this radically inverse correlation speaks to a broader, troubling trend that begs for explanation. The excess, previously untapped surge, as it turns out, appears to be coming largely from white nationalist and xenophobic elements.

Despite the dozens of trend pieces over the past few years about shifting voting demographics, the harsh reality remains that the United States is still an exceedingly white place. And those white people, especially white men, still wield the overwhelming amount of power. White men comprise 31% of the population but make up 60% of the gun owners. White men make up 31% of the population but 65% of elected officials. There are 155 million voting age non-Hispanic whites in America. There were a total of 129 million votes cast in 2012, including 65 million for Obama. Put simply: there’s not only a lot of white voters in this country, there’s a lot of untapped white voters and they make up more than enough of the population to secure their own majority voting bloc for decades to come. By selling out the 6-8% of Hispanic voters entirely, Trump has picked up a comparable (and likely much more) number of fringe whites.
ADVERTISING

A political fact made all the more clear when one considers whites also make up a disproportionate amount of power and wealth -- there not just large in numbers but large in influence. As University of California San Diego political scientist Marisa Abrajano noted last year in her study of white voting patterns:

Given that whites still make up about three-quarters of the voters in the nation and will likely be the clear majority for decades to come, there is every reason to believe that whites will have a real say in who governs. Indeed the white population’s growing allegiance to the Republican Party points to a very different short term future — one that might more likely be highlighted by Republican victory than by Democratic dominance.

The grim reality is the GOP doesn’t need minority votes to win. Trump knows it. The Republican party knows it. And the media knows it but is too busy feigning outrage - and holding to the myth of “courting Hispanics” - to point out this political reality. Indeed, the GOP doesn’t need a “big tent”, it just needs a bigger tent - preferably one armed to the teeth with racists and subsidized by billionaires.

More and more, this dynamic is on display among Trump’s white nationalists supporters, who, over the past couple of weeks have been coming out of the closet -- showing up at rallies and lending their passionate support. Alone, these incidents could be written-off as nut-picking, but when added up - and coupled with Trumps inability to speak out against these excesses (if not sometimes embracing them) - it's a serious trend that should frightened anyone concerned for the future of already teetering republic.

Here are ten of recent highlights:

1. “[Trump’s critics are] living on the pieces of silver that they get from their Jewish paymasters so that they can preside over our extermination, our disposition, and our ultimate disappearance from the face of the earth.”

Don Advo. Neo-nazi, host of Stormfront Radio

2. “Hopefully, he’s going to sit there and say, ‘When I become elected president, what we’re going to do is we’re going to make the border a vacation spot, it’s going to cost you $25 for a permit, and then you get $50 for every confirmed kill [of an undocumented worker]. That’d be one nice thing.”

JimSherota, 53 Trump supporter in Alabama

3. “He’s refreshing...Trump, on a gut level, kind of senses that this is about demographics, ultimately. We’re moving into a new America.”

Richard Spencer, National Policy Institute a White Nationalist think tank the SPLC calls a “suit and tie KKK”.

4. “Certainly [Trump is] the best of the lot… I praise the fact that he’s come out on the immigration issue. I’m beginning to get the idea that he’s a good salesman. That he’s an entrepreneur, and he has a good sense of what people want to hear, what they want to but understands the real sentiment of America.”

Former Grand Wizard of the KKK David Duke

5. “Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported,”

Scott Leader, a Boston man who brutally attacked an undocumented homeless man on August 18th.

6. “There is no more California. It’s now international, lawless territory. Everything is up for grabs. Illegal aliens are murdering people there. People are being raped. Trump isn’t lying about anything — the rest of the country just hasn’t found out yet.”

Cheryl Burns, 60 53 Trump supporter in Alabama

7. “Get out of my country!"

Donald Trump organizer to American-citizen and Univision anchor Jorge Ramos

8. “We are all Donald Trump now...Trump is important because he represents the first figure with the financial, cultural, and economic resources to openly defy elite consensus.”

James Kirkpatrick of VDare.com, a popular white nationalist website

9. “If Mr. Trump loses, this could be the last chance whites have to vote for a president who could actually do something useful for them and for their country.”

Jared Taylor, publisher of American Renaissance, a popular white supremacist magazine

10. “Americans of ALL races are FED UP with this ILLEGAL ALIEN INVASION — so [Trump] says that he’ll BUILD a WALL to keep them out! CHEERS! He states that “Political Correctness” is disgusting and it’s time to STOP IT! More CHEERS! He DARES to turn his guns on the paid morons of the system controlled MEDIA! And regular folks LOVE it.”

Rocky J. Suhayda, chair of the American Nazi party

In Evan Osnos’ excellent New Yorker piece last week detailing Trump’s emerging support among white nationalists, he found many of his rallies were also populated by supporters casually selling white supremacist merchandise, from books such as “The True Selma Story,” “Authentic History of the Ku Klux Klan” to stickers reading “The Federal Empire Is Killing the American Dream”. Indeed, there is little evidence of Trump ever denouncing white nationalism outright, only vaguely belittling their value to him or acting like he doesn’t know who they are. He recently told Bloomberg News, for example, that he “doesn’t need” or “want” David Duke’s endorsement but when asked if he would repudiate the former KKK Grand Wizard, he glibly said, “sure, if it makes you feel better I will.” This answer was apparently good enough for Mark Halperin who quickly moved on but should outrage any thinking person. One should jump at the chance to distance themselves from the KKK, Trump did so reluctantly and only because it made Halperin “feel better”.

It’s been said by many on the left that Trump’s policies are not that different from the mainstream GOP and that all he’s done is drop the dog whistle code language. This sentiment, while partially true, is looking more and more incomplete. White nationalists, for all their stupidity are a prickly bunch and if they’re coming out of the shadows to praise Trump it’s not just because he’s good with words. They’re doing so because his actual, concrete policy positions -- namely rounding up 11 million undocumented Americans - are, in effect, bringing ethnic cleansing into the mainstream. The media, who treat Trump's campaign more like a car accident than a real world, emerging proto-fascist threat, quietly go along, dismissing it as a "quirk" of a celebrity candidate than the actual policy of a top contender for the most powerful position in the world. In this sense, it’s Trump’s own supporters who are doing far more to discredit his campaign than the access-hungry political press who still, naively, see Trump as an amusing spectacle rather than the true threat to democracy he almost certainly is.

Adam Johnson is an associate editor at AlterNet. Follow him on Twitter at @adamjohnsonnyc.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 09:34 pm
Is that what it's down to now? Quoting people that throw their support behind a candidate?

Lame.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 05:43 am
@McGentrix,
You don't believe that someone gets known for the company they keep?
McGentrix

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 12:35 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

You don't believe that someone gets known for the company they keep?

I've not seen Trump keeping company with them. Do you equally judge liberals by their fans?

I heard Hillary has slept with a known adulterer and documented pervert. I think she still does. What does that say about her?
glitterbag

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 12:50 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I heard Hillary has slept with a known adulterer and documented pervert. I think she still does. What does that say about her?

I think a better question would be "What does that say about you?"
McGentrix

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 01:53 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

That doesn't even make any sense. Please try again.
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:14 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

What part of it does not make sense, McG?

I thought it rather incisive.

Wink
McGentrix

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

What part of it does not make sense, McG?

I thought it rather incisive.

Wink

Then please explain it to me. I am not sure how Hillary being married to a perverted adulterer says anything about me... Does it say that I am not married to one? Is he saying that my wife is a perverted adulterer? Makes no sense man.