Lash

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 06:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Yes. I was coming back to this thread to update. The Trump children have recently thrown in behind Pence.

I just saw the RNC speakers line up. Lots of nobodies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 10:34 am
Pence has been chosen. In my mind this should put to rest the persistent notion that Trump does not really want to win. It also is likely to boost his poll numbers, at least temporarily.
edgarblythe

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 10:56 am
@edgarblythe,
Haven't seen it on line yet, but CBS broke in on TV with a special report.
oralloy

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 10:58 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Pence has been chosen.

Wow. Really? I think that is a mistake. He might be the candidate who makes numbers balance on a spreadsheet, but balancing a spreadsheet is not what truly wins campaigns.

I would have preferred Newt, but really Christie was the best choice.
cicerone imposter

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 10:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Seems like a good opportunity for a democratic politician to throw their name into the ring. Clinton has too much baggage to win the popular vote. Almost anyone besides Clinton can beat Trump.
oralloy

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Haven't seen it on line yet, but CBS broke in on TV with a special report.

This site is hard to beat for quick links to breaking news (also quick notice of breaking news):

http://www.breakingnews.com/

I believe the site is affiliated with NBC.

Often the link they provide is a Tweet from a news outlet or official source.

In this case they have a link to New York Times confirming the pick:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/us/politics/mike-pence-donald-trump-vice-president.html

AND a Tweet from a Bloomberg reporter saying "not so fast":
http://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/753630165977169924/photo/1
0 Replies

revelette2

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:25 am
I would be kind of surprised if he accepts, he holds way more conservatives views than Trump on social issues. He might, if he does, it does give Trump a note of seriousness.

Donald Trump’s Campaign Signals He Will Pick Mike Pence as Running Mate

(excerpt)

Quote:
A low-key man largely defined in public life by his Christian faith, Mr. Pence, 57, is seen as a cautious choice of running mate — a political partner who is unlikely to embarrass Mr. Trump, and who may help him shore up support among conservative voters still wary of his candidacy.

His staunch conservative views on certain social issues, like gay rights and abortion, may inject a new set of concerns into the general election debate that have been largely overlooked with Mr. Trump at the top of the Republican ticket.

For Mr. Trump, selecting Mr. Pence would be a sharp departure from habit, and the surest sign yet that he intends to submit to at least some standard political pressures in the general election.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:48 am
@oralloy,
I don't think Christie brings anything to the ticket. He is popular with the same people Trump is already popular with. Newt is interesting and is a pretty sharp guy, but he's not good at playing second fiddle and he has some negatives that Trump doesn't need. I think Trump needs someone very comfortable in the lackey role who won't provide any negatives. Pence seems to fit that bill.
Blickers

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 12:59 pm
@engineer,
Pence is awful. He had one moment in the spotlight when he backed a bill that would not allow Indiana municipalities to pass laws outlawing discrimination against homosexuals by businesses, and he flubbed it horribly. He ended up retracting when various Indiana businesses threatened to move out of the state.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:05 pm
I bet $0.25 it's gonna be Newt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:16 pm
the convention speakers list is entertaining

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/14/12187344/trump-convention-speakers-rnc

Quote:
The preliminary cast list for Donald Trump’s Republican National Convention looks a lot like a season of Celebrity Apprentice: It will feature former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow, various soap opera actors, and Ivanka Trump’s rabbi. But so far, it includes just four of the party’s 31 sitting governors — and none of its former presidents, vice presidents, or presidential nominees.
snood

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:43 pm
Shoot, I see I was late reading what many of you already knew - it's Pence. I think these two are going to get beaten badly.
http://www.salon.com/2016/07/14/reports_donald_trump_taps_mike_pence_as_his_running_mate/
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Vox,via ehBeth:
Quote:
The preliminary cast list for Donald Trump’s Republican National Convention looks a lot like a season of Celebrity Apprentice: It will feature former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow, various soap opera actors, and Ivanka Trump’s rabbi. But so far, it includes just four of the party’s 31 sitting governors — and none of its former presidents, vice presidents, or presidential nominees.

Looks like the rats have decided to avoid having to desert the sinking ship by not getting on in the first place.
ehBeth

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:48 pm
@Blickers,
Antonio Sabato Jr is getting the main coverage up here ... underwear model Antonio Sabato Jr to speak at Republican convention ... I've heard that on the news a few times now
snood

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:49 pm
@Blickers,
If the Republicans had any shame at all, they'd abandon this clown entirely. I can't even imagine the humiliation he would cause our country as POTUS.
Blickers

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:54 pm
@snood,
Abandon Trump? I'm seriously wondering if a coup is not being planned now. Nobody gets physically murdered, you understand, just that Trump leaves without the nomination.
ossobucotemp

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 01:59 pm
@Blickers,
I'm guessing he wants a coup, or else he'll do it himself. But, whadda I know.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 02:00 pm
@Blickers,
Well I know of one group of delegates openly saying they will contest the nomination.

Here's Ann Coulter saying that choosing Pence is Trump's "first mistake".
First? What candidate has she been watching?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ann-coulter-mike-pence_us_5787d62ee4b0867123e0438d

Honestly, I will get no satisfaction at all out of this contest between Trump and Clinton. It's like a bar fight between an old geezer and a mixed martial arts star. If the geezer wins, it's everlasting humiliation for the stud. If the stud wins, everyone shrugs and says, "I knew that would happen". Either way - no satisfaction
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 02:15 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I don't think Christie brings anything to the ticket.

Christie can take the same combative aggression that he used to wipe out Rubio, and use it to hammer Hillary relentlessly over the email scandal.
parados

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 02:46 pm
@oralloy,
Sure... and every time he opens his mouth the press can ask him about the emails and phone that he used that have disappeared while under an actual subpeona. And they can also ask him about his use of private email to hide his actions while conducting government business.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/chris-christie-personal-email-work-bridgegate-article-1.2693601

I don't think Christie will last too long as an attack dog over any email issue.