snood

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 06:56 am
@revelette2,
It's a very familiar text to conservative "Christians".
Especially the ones who have been hating on Obama since day one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 07:11 am
@revelette2,
Scary talk.
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:02 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Quote:
When he nominates Putin for vicepresident Putin wants to know what to agree with re Trumps beliefs. Rolling Eyes

And in a historic development, in President Trump's first speech as Chief Executive he announced the appointment of Vladimir Putin as Secretary of State and winner of Celebrity Apprentice at the same time.
ehBeth

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 01:30 pm
Frank Rich on the GOP and Mr. Trump and other stuff in the news

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/06/gop-will-never-abandon-trump.html

Quote:
We know the drill: Trump says something outrageous or hateful. A few GOP leaders timidly say that what he’s said is racist, misogynistic, “not what the Party of Lincoln stands for,” whatever. Then those leaders fall back in line. The dynamic will not change now, and for a simple reason. The GOP elites are frightened of Trump and frightened of their own party’s voters, who overwhelmingly supported Trump in the GOP primary.
blatham

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 05:03 pm
@ehBeth,
NY Mag is becoming a really valuable entity. Whoever is doing their hiring is one smart cookie.

It seems to me there's another factor in the mix as well. Over the last decade or so, key figures at the top of the GOP hierarchy (Rove, for example) have been in something of a serious competition for power with the Koch operation. It's not just the matter of their alternate data bases and voter-contact methodologies/operations. It is about who is going to win the battle of determining who pulls the strings and what candidates/policies are forwarded. Though there are clear mutual interests, those seem to be diminishing as the Koch boys become increasingly ambitious and effective.
cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 07:10 pm
@blatham,
Donald Trump is telling everybody to shut up!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-tells-gop-critics-183022911.html
Blickers

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 07:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You get the impression the Republicanss are already positioning themselves to deflect blame for a blowout loss. Like, "I loyally supported my party's nominee as best I could, but when he said something that I felt went counter to the traditions of this great country, I spoke out. I had to. Don't blame me."
cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 09:15 pm
@Blickers,
Trump can run, but his unfavorable rating is 70%. Don't know why he even bothers to crush his own ego.
94% unfavorable rating with blacks.
89% unfavorable rating with Hispanics. I'm surprised it's not closer to 100%.
We live in mysterious times.
snood

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 09:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Trump can run, but his unfavorable rating is 70%. Don't know why he even bothers to crush his own ego.
94% unfavorable rating with blacks.
89% unfavorable rating with Hispanics. I'm surprised it's not closer to 100%.
We live in mysterious times.

Oh, I think his ego will be just fine. He doesn't let little things like the damage he's doing to political discourse or the democratic process bother him, so he'll come out of this just fine. There are already stories about his schemes for how to parlay his solid popularity with that 30-40% of Trumpster divers into big bucks. Just like a cockroach after a nuclear holocaust - Trump will be just fine. It's everyone else in the country who should be worried.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:20 pm
@Blickers,
I knew it, I knew it!!! Shocked
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I bet you they try to get him out at the convention. That would probably damage their party less than a Trump candidate.
cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:17 pm
@RABEL222,
I agree, but stranger things have happened in politics.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 05:16 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13450771_1746410588933092_1351065115697790550_n.png?oh=3dbe9caffe80b188075214af08807939&oe=57DE1760
0 Replies

snood

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 05:38 am
Oh. Em. Gee.

A must read!

This guy, Rick Wilson - a "GOP Operative" - just did a tweetstorm where he kicks the unholy crap out of Trump and all those too chickenshit to stand up to him. It is freaking CLASSIC. My favorite of his gems -
Trump is the GOP's "Cheeto Jesus" (LOL!!!)

bobsal u1553115

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 05:47 am
@snood,
I think Trump will pull out before the convention. Much hilarity will ensue.
DrewDad

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Hilarious WaPo article: How to Cover Donald Trump Fairly: A Style Guide.
sozobe

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:34 am
@DrewDad,
That was lovely. Thanks!

Quote:
Style is as important as substance. A good post about Donald Trump includes at least one of the following words: “huge,” “great,” “manly,” “terrific,” “incredible,” “fantastic,” “remarkable,” “big”/”bigly,” “immense,” “girthy,” “magisterial,” “gargantuan,” “tumescent.” Ideally, this word would be in the headline. A bad post about Donald Trump includes the words or phrases “puny,” “dangerous,” “Godwin’s law,” “cocktail shrimp in a toupee,” “husk of dead skin and hyperbole,” “garbage fart,” “what results if you accidentally leave Guy Fieri in a microwave.”
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:05 am
@RABEL222,
Quote rabel22:
Quote:
I bet you they try to get him out at the convention. That would probably damage their party less than a Trump candidate.

I think they might be leading up to that. At first it looked like Trump, despite everything, was going to be somewhat competitive in the general election. But the Bloomberg poll just showed Hillary ahead by 11 points, (CBS has her ahead by 6). The conventions haven't even happened yet.

I remember when Bill Clinton got nominated in 1992. Before the Democratic Convention, the polls were fairly even with Bush 41. As attention focused on the upcoming convention, Clinton pulled ahead a little, but that was the normal pre-convention bounce, (when a candidate is in the news for a favorable reason, they tend to go up in the polls). However, during the four day convention, Clinton's poll numbers shot up to a 15 or 16 point lead, and one poll a few days after the convention showed him with a 22 point lead.

It is normal for a candidate to get a 5 or 7 point "bounce" after the convention which dissipates over the next 7 to 10 days, but a lead of 15 to 22 points after the convention is pretty impenetrable.

If Trump's numbers continue to fall and Hillary ends up with a similar lead after the Democratic convention in late July, I think the Republicans might decide to screw Trump by putting in rules that brings things to the second ballot somehow, then putting in Romney, Ryan or Kasich-somebody with centrist credentials-in there. They will be under a disadvantage for sure, but the GOP might lose by only 6 or 7 points instead of a 20 point disaster.
cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:01 am
@Blickers,
The good thing Trump did was to split the party, and to reveal the bigotry in it.
I'm sure even many republicans were repulsed by Trump, and wondered where their party was headed.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:12 am
Man...The more I look at this guy and think about the situation, the more I'm thinking he is definitely not going to make it to the GOP convention.
It's much easier for me to imagine him coming up with some story about being unforgivably insulted or sabotaged somehow, then quitting the contest, storming off and plotting the next Celebrity Apprentice episode.